Lumpskie's 1989 Grand Wagoneer Build

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Love it. My uncle had two when I was a kid, and I loved them. Keep up the thread, I love seeing FSJ's built up.

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
Great stuff, beautiful Jeep. I love a build thread with tons of pics, someday I will get a "Waggy", always loved the deep blue color with the wood insets.

img3.jpg

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks for the comments, you guys! Since you guys like pictures, here are a few shots I took a few weeks ago. It was our last deep spring snow and the Yokohamas did great!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
So, Wifey and I decided to take our 5 month old out on his first overnight camping trip. The local club I'm in was going up Payne Mtn. trail off of Argentine Pass, so we thought we'd tag along in the Waggy. Driving up out of Georgetown, everything was looking pretty promising. There was some snow but we didn't see anything deep on Guanella Pass.

Peanut (or Nutnut as we call her) was excited to be in the outdoors, as we aired down.

Once we got on the trail, things started out smoothly. The trail was rocky with 8-12" rocks to climb over. The Waggy did great. At this point we were driving in 4lo at 10,000ft and had no issues. Then we came around a bend and saw our first snow drift.

We made our way through the first drift and around another bend to find a MUCH larger snow drift.

Well... here goes nothing. He navigated our way about 30 feet before we got stuck. We backed up and went forward many many times but the snow was too deep.

With the help of my friends, we tugged the Waggy free. At this point, we decided to turn around and let the others proceed to the camp site.
With my lift coming next month, I really didn't want to risk damage to the old Waggy. So, we headed back down the trail alone.

And drove toward Idaho Springs, enjoying the view along the way.

That's it for now!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Whatever lift you put in is going to feel massive, because it'll be lift over stock, and those stock springs look shagged out. Mine were the same way.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
You're right, these 26 year old springs have had it! I'm hoping that the Alcans will make the Waggy feel like a new car, once they're on. Hey, quick question... do you happen to remember what length shocks you ran on your old rig? I was thinking of running a collapsed length of 14" and extended length 24" shock on the Waggy with 2" of lift.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Here are a few pics of when I was flexing the Waggy, looking at shock travel. Looking at these results, I think I can fit 10" travel shocks under it, once it's lifted 2 inches.

It did pretty well considering I left the front sway bar on and both track bars on... 20 7/8" vertical inches!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
So, I the Jeep is making a terrible sound. (as you can hear in this video)

I think it's the smog pump going out. Beyond the sound, the idle has gotten low and the Waggy died on my at a stop light last weekend. I picked up a reman smog pump from O'Reilly. Hopefully that will fix my issues...

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Hey 4xchinook4,

I'm hoping to swap the smog pump out this Friday. I'll post up some pics of the process, along with results, once I get it done. (fingers crossed...)

Mitch502

Explorer
I really need to find a loading dock like this. Anyone know of a big chain place that would most likely have one of these style loading docks? The couple places I went to only had the drive-down loading docks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94