Mitch502

Explorer
I'm referring to ones that are "below ground."

Like this:

loading_dock1.gif

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
^Thanks!

So, I started the smog pump replacement and things were going well.

My little helper was eager to get this show on the road:

Stock pump came out with not too much trouble but this is where things started going "less well". When I compared the old pump to the new, I could see that I was not going to be able to reuse the stock pulley bolts... the reman company had drilled them out and tapped new, MUCH smaller, holes.

The smaller bolts that went with these holes required an offset spacer to be put into the stock pulley. The problem with that is that you can only install the pulley once the pump is on the vehicle. AND these spacers have to be aligned because of the offset... which make for a blind job. And a real pain. Here's one of these idiotic things installed:

Anyway... I worked my way through that mess and got the pump and pulley installed. The belt was one and I only had one final pulley bolt to tighten... then this happened:

ARGH. Took the pump out and call O'Reilly Auto. They have to ship another one out so I'm stuck waiting now.

4xchinook4

Observer
I've had that happen before, but with my cam shaft bracket. The bolt Broke in my head!!! Thankfully one easy out bit later. She came out. So I know the anger. And unfortunately with old hardware. Age tends to make these guys (hardware) want to stretch much easier. Thus we get the above picture. Did O'Reilly give you a turn around time.

Haha and never mind Kentucky.. ;) your on your own with that one.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
^Yeah, I called them at 3pm and they said the pump was in! (don't know why they didn't bother to call me but, hey... I'll take what I can get)

Even better news! The newest pump doesn't use those idiotic small bolts/adapters! I can use the big, stock bolts. (Good thing I saved them) So... I used a punch to drive out the ridiculous hole adapters:

Then I threw the new pump in there: (it only took 10 minutes without those adapters)

Sorry for the blurry pictures... it was starting to rain and I had to hurry!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I put about 100 miles on the Waggy since installing the new smog pump. It's running nice and quiet and is idling just fine! (the idle is still a little low for my liking though. I might adjust that a bit if I get time)

4xchinook4

Observer
Ya buddy, did you notice a difference with the new smog? And if you are in colorado. Are you sure it's jetted for our altitude?

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Ya buddy, did you notice a difference with the new smog? And if you are in colorado. Are you sure it's jetted for our altitude?

^Hey! Yes sir. Everything is nice and quiet (as quiet as a typical AMC 360 anyway) and the idle is nice and even. The thing that surprised me was that the Waggy feels like it's got more power... especially from a stop. Maybe pushing more air out the exhaust is scavenging air from the engine and making things more efficient? I don't know... but I like it!

For jetting: The Waggy is actually a high altitude version, originally sold in Colorado. It comes with jetting for 5,000 ft and higher and it also has the 3.31 axle gears rather than the 2.73s. That comes in handy when I'm driving up I-70. With two adults, one baby and the dog, I can go up the hill to Idaho Springs at about 70 mph the whole way. It usually surprises people who expect it to bog down at the first steep incline!

Last edited:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Well, I ordered some shocks yesterday and Alcan says that my springs will be ready to ship next week!

I'm not looking forward to taking the 26 year old suspension apart though...

Mitch502

Explorer
Well, I ordered some shocks yesterday and Alcan says that my springs will be ready to ship next week!

I'm not looking forward to taking the 26 year old suspension apart though...

Hah, I felt the same way about my ~18 year old suspension from Michigan. IT came apart easy though! Start spraying with PB blaster now!

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Hah, I felt the same way about my ~18 year old suspension from Michigan. IT came apart easy though! Start spraying with PB blaster now!

Actually...a 50/50 mixture of Acetone and Automatice Transmission Fluid ATF has shown to be more effective than PB Blaster....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles