Just rebuilt my engine now my clutch won't engage

Aquafbody

Adventurer
It won't move, I can press and release the clutch petal all I want no change in rpm, no movement what so ever its like I'm in neutral what would make the clutch not engage when the petal is released. In normal vehicles when I release the clutch petal the vehicles moves. I can understand if the clutch would not disengage but this makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Have someone climb under the truck while you push the clutch to see if the slave cylinder is actually moving. It might be jammed in the out position, forcing the clutch to disengage all the time. Try removing the slave cylinder from the side of the transmission altogether, this should allow the clutch disk to engage. Make sure you're not going to hit anything if the truck moves forward of course.

If it still doesn't work, you misaligned something with the clutch disk/pressure plate and I'm afraid you're stuck pulling the transmission back out.

vtlogger

Adventurer
I'm sorry, I know this is a dumb question and i'm sure you checked .. but .. the transfer case isn't in neutral?? I ask because a buddy did it one time, and of course the first thing we thought was we did something wrong... sorry again for asking .. good luck!!

ca18_sean

Adventurer
I'm sorry, I know this is a dumb question and i'm sure you checked .. but .. the transfer case isn't in neutral?? I ask because a buddy did it one time, and of course the first thing we thought was we did something wrong... sorry again for asking .. good luck!!

That's actually a really good suggestion!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I like the t-case check too! (I actually made that mistake before!) In case that doesn't work...

When you mated your engine and trans back together, did you take any pics to verify that you lined up your input shaft to the trans correctly? Also, you can use some pics to verify that the shifter fork and throwout bearing are correct. I know that if you get those 180 degrees out on some vehicles, it can keep you from engaging the trans...

Aquafbody

Adventurer

Well... it is possible the I put the t-case shifter in the wrong somehow and when I think it's in 2wd it's actually in neutral? I at work right now but I'll check that when I get home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles