Transmission tunnel/passenger foot space differences?

(beans)

Observer
Just saw my first image of the "dog house" in a 7.3... and was shocked. Looks like the front passenger can never stretch their legs out all the way?

This van thing seems like a giant pile of compromises from ford-i-ness reliability piece of mind issues all the way to the engineering versus profit margin crisis of american vehicles.

Kind of underwhelmed, which sucks because I was so excited when the van bug first struck.

So my question is: Are there giant transmission tunnels causing foot space issue for the front passenger in all models or are some engine options better than others?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
It's an issue in just about every van - at least every van that doesn't have a giant truck-snout out front (like the Nissan NVs, etc.).

My solution in the Astro was to set the passenger seat an additional 2-3" aft when I built new mounting brackets to accommodate the seat swivel. 2-3" doesn't sound like much, but the footbox is pretty tapered, so even that much tends to net a decent amount of extra foot room. I would have gone farther aft, but then you run into issues with seatbelt safety since the pickup points on the B-pillar don't move. If you had seat-mounted belts, you could cheat the seat as far aft as makes sense to you.

(beans)

Observer
Good stuff guys, this sent me on a great few hours of Nissan NV research... but saw some rumbling of them being discontinued die to poor sales... which then sent me on the Fuso FG/Canter search...hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior