GPS and theft concerns?

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Hey guys, I've seen plenty of rigs sporting plethoras of hardware for nav and the like. Some trucks seem to have more ram mounts than dashes anymore. My amazing girlfriend surprised me with a Garmin 600t for my birthday so looks like I'm joining the GPS crowd a lot sooner than I had expected. So do you all just leave your laptops/GPS/iPads etc just sitting in your dash when you're traveling? I imagine dismantling it all every time you want to stop for lunch or explore a town would get old fast. I'm not planning on anything beyond a mount for my GPS but even just having to put it away every time I park seems like a pain. Where I live leaving even a bottom of the line garmin on your dash is asking for a smash n grab. How do you guys deal with security?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZMagic97

Explorer
I have a GPS in my truck on the windshield. I leave the suction mount and unit in the glove box with the wire tucked away when not in use. This is most of the time I'm going to work, running errands..etc. When I do want to use it, set up is about 30 seconds.

If I'm in and out of the truck while traveling withing 30 minutes or less, I will leave it set up if need be. If I'll be gone longer (such as parking overnight) I put it away.

While it may seem like a pain, it really isn't all that bad. Besides, it's better than needing to buy a new GPS unit AND a new window.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Two things I do:

-when the truck is unattended/ out of view, move everything so that it is not visible.
- all windows in my truck are " brick proofed" with 3M film made for that purpose.

If they are persistent and still manage to get in and steal stuff, then I am just SOL.

doug720

Expedition Leader
My Ipad used for navigation has a quick disconnect from the Ram mount. When not need, it stores in the Tuffy console.

Works well for me.

Attachments

• P1100258.JPG
    P1100258.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 25
  • P1100259.JPG
    P1100259.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 28

GregSplett

Adventurer
When i park at trail heads and such and I am leaving my rigs for a day or two,I stash everything nearby in the woods.

robert

Expedition Leader
When i park at trail heads and such and I am leaving my rigs for a day or two,I stash everything nearby in the woods.

I used to do that when I had my Land Cruisers, now I try not to carry anything I can't afford to lose and I put everything out of sight. I've also got a locking box that cables to the seat frame, it won't stop a thief with a lot of time but it'll deter a smash and grab. I like the 3M film idea, I might look into that.

Personally I detest thieves and would be perfectly happy to see them strung up from trees.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I used to do that when I had my Land Cruisers, now I try not to carry anything I can't afford to lose and I put everything out of sight. I've also got a locking box that cables to the seat frame, it won't stop a thief with a lot of time but it'll deter a smash and grab. I like the 3M film idea, I might look into that.

Personally I detest thieves and would be perfectly happy to see them strung up from trees.

I haven't had a chance to test the 3M film first hand but like the idea. Also - the center console is the first place people look. Stash anywhere but the center console! I had a window busted out in Cincinnati during a marathon. My wallet was in the door - they missed it. My travel buddy was a LEO and had his gun in the trunk - they didn't get it. They took my iPod, Garmin, and some junk in the center console. Also, they ignored my android phone.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
That's why I have a top of the line security system. I live in an area where there is a lot of theft like that. I don't have all the cool GPS stuff set up but I have a very expensive sound system. My security system wont stop a thief but it will definitely bring some attention to my truck.

Its interesting when you guys say you stash your stuff in the woods. Never even thought about that! Do you put it in a tree or under a log/bush or?

GregSplett

Adventurer
I am in the process of turning this laptop into gps unit.I plan on installing a mount for it.One of my concerns is the mount stiring up the curiosity of some one.I am going to go for one that can join the rest in the dry bag Under the log.

When parked at the trail heads and such i leave NOTHING OF VALUE and I do not lock the doors.I hate replacing windows.Both rigs have a dead man switch installed.I learned this the hard way.

When in town I rely on my security system on the truck and my dog when in the suby. Be carefull of the little round marks left by your window mounts too.Big clue there is something on the center console.

GregSplett

Adventurer
I carry a dry bag in both and stash it wherever I figure nobody will go.The brush is thick around here so I do not have to go far.Under a log in the ferns maybe covered in moss what ever works.

This may sound stupid but I have left a very expensive bag by accident which I ended up losing.Long story.It is easier than you think to forget stuff.Had to backtrack a few weeks ago for my wife's purse.Tired and sweaty after a fun day.....

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
LEO suggestions

I've worked hundreds of vehicle burglaries, and I can tell you that even when people hide their electronics, the bad guys still break in and get them. They look for the suction cup mount smudges on the glass, watch people move electronics from the interior to the trunk, hide them under seats, or lock them in center consoles. Their job is to make money at the expense of others, and they're good at what they do. Your best defense is to hide your belongings a few blocks before you get to your destination, that way anyone in the parking lots that are watching you will not see you stashing things before you leave your vehicle unattended. We've even had vehicles burgled becuase the owner had pro gun stickers on their trucks, and the bad guys gambled on them having a gun in the console. Just make sure to document the serial numbers for all your electronics or serialized valuables, never put your home address as the home location in GPS systems (any spot a few blocks or miles from home will be sufficient), and always keep your head and eyes up.

GregSplett

Adventurer
[QUOTEnever put your home address as the home location in GPS systems][/QUOTE]

A friend learned this the hard way!!!!

achuto

Observer
never put your home address as the home location in GPS systems

A friend learned this the hard way!!!

If they're breaking in your vehicle, couldn't they just look at your registration papers to see where you lived??

dstock

Explorer
never put your home address as the home location in GPS systems

If they're breaking in your vehicle, couldn't they just look at your registration papers to see where you lived??

You are not supposed to leave those in your vehicle either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94