Changing Brake Discs and hoses on MB Vario

docka

Adventurer
Ok, had a go at this today, wheels off, pads out, calliper loosened, half shaft withdrawn but we failed when it came to undoing the outer slotted nut (not sure yet how to upload a photo but I do have some...)
We briefly tried to persuade it off with the hammer and chisel but it wasn't happening. It seems a special claw-type socket is needed to fit onto the slotted nut, how have people got round this, Andy, any ideas?
They're available to buy but at about £150 I could do without having to buy one!
Cheers

Ullie

Adventurer
I've opened my rear break also last weekend.

31337_1472832780122_3163483_n.jpg

Normally you need a special claw-type socket yes, but with a hammer and a chisel it will also work.
There is a blocking ring in the back off the outer slotted nut. You will have to bend the 1 ore 2 blocking points straigth and than with a few hard hits with the hammer, it will come lose. The second slotted nut is much more easy to loosen.
It toke me alsow a lot off effort to loosen the first nut last weekend, but I knew it had to ga that way, because I had done it before like that. After a while it came loose.

Good luck.

Ulrich

docka

Adventurer
Thanks Ulrich. I wonder if it's easier on drums than discs as we did give the slotted nut quite a good few bashes with hammer and chisel after removing the locking tab but it wouldnt move because of the depth into the hub we couldn't get the chisel to the right angle. I didn't want to get bits of swarf into the bearing.
How were you thinking to get it torqued up when it comes to refitting it or just hoping for real tight?

docka

Adventurer
How about taking an angle grinder to a socket?

Good idea! would still have to buy one big enough however.
Plus I'm waiting for a call back from the local bus company the owner of which knows my dad so I'm hoping they will lend me the claw socket as they have a couple of Varios and do all their own maintenance. Fingers crossed...

Ullie

Adventurer
Just refitting as tight as possible with the hammer. Did it like that in the past en worked fine. Never had problems.

Ullie

Adventurer

No, just working with the tools I have. :)
I asked at the merc garage if it's okay to do it like that. They answerd that its always better to use the wright socket and torque, but normally it should be okay as long as the nuts aren't damaged.

docka

Adventurer
Unable to borrow the tool so I've stumped up to buy one, should arrive in a day or two. The thought of loose nuts is too much :smiley_drive:

docka

Adventurer
Got one side done, not without tribulation either. However on the other side the hub refuses to sit back on far enough so that the hub nut can be fully tightened home.
It's as if the two wheel bearings aren't aligned properly inside the hub and that's what's preventing it going on far enough.
Does anybody have any suggestions as I'm running out of ideas...
Cheers

docka

Adventurer
Just found some horror stories on the net about the vario bearings not seating correctly and the resulting damage. eeek!

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hey docka,

Sorry I can't help with the issue, but I'm planning on doing the same maintenance to ours when I'm back. Did you order new hubs and discs? May I ask the cost, and the part numbers?

Thanks,

Anthony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior