Going to Moab need advice

18seeds

Explorer
I'm heading to Moab this friday and need some advice on light 4x4 driving. Usually i ride dirt bikes but this year i have the GF with me so I need something we can do together. I will be driving a 06 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD with Flip Pac camper on. I am a novice 4x4er with no recovery equipment, just big tires. I thought the White Rim Trail would be awesome but we need to be back at a camp spot to meet up with friends and from what i read it is a 2 day trip to fully enjoy it.

Any ideas? Looking for a nice offroad drive for about 3-4 hours

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
You can't camp on White Rim without reserving a camp spot, which gets difficult in high season. It can be done in a day, but yeah two is better. I've done a bunch of the trails around Moab, but they all run together in my head.
Its not 4wd, but if she's never seen it, I highly recommend Arches National Park. I know there are some easy very scenic drives around Moab, but I don't have my book handy at the moment. I'll try to find it and post later.

Michael Slade

Untitled
Head down the Potash Road. You'll end up on the Shaffer Trail, neat switchbacks, views of the Colorado River, end up on top at Dead Horse Point for the sunset. A perfect 3-4 hour trip.

Dave

Explorer
If you do go to Arches, check out the Tower Arch road. It's mostly a washboard road but the last bit up to the short Tower Arch hiking trail head is an easy 4x4 trail. It's a great way to get away from the masses and pavement that can sometimes put a damper on visiting the busy Arches National Park. The hike to Tower Arch is fun too.

Pick up Charles Well's book GUIDE TO Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails if you haven't already.

TheGillz

Explorer
Trail from Arches NP to Gateway, CO?

Is there a trail from Arches to Gateway that I could take a stock JK on?
Looks like you could take Old Sharf Ranch RD or Entrada Ranch RD and meet up with 4 1/10 RD?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Check out the very recent thread on what to do with a day in Arches for a lot of info/photos on Klondike Bluffs and Tower Arch road. Although, a Dodge Ram might be a bit too long for that first part of Klondike where you twist your way through a few rocks. There's a lot of paint on that big rock near the drivers side door....

Klondike-rockpinch-800.jpg

Cody

Observer
You could do Spring Canyon overlook, Spring Canyon Bottom, or Hell Roaring Canyon (at least most of the way, once you drop down the switchbacks and loop around up the canyon, it gets pretty tight) pretty easy. All very scenic and graded roads that shouldn't give you any trouble. Kane Creek canyon, and then up and over.....meehhhh what's it called pass.....is nice too. I'll have to look at a map to remember the name. You wouldn't want to head up the main kane creek trail though in that rig. The end has some ledges that wouldn't be camper friendly.

Out towards the Spring Canyon area on the Dubinky Well Road there can be some pretty nice camping found. Busy weekends are harder to find good spots though (duh).

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners are great tame trails that can occupy some time while still soaking in the best part of Moab, the scenery. Potash to Shaffer is a great suggestion too. Sounds like you'll have a great time!

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
TheGillz said:
Is there a trail from Arches to Gateway that I could take a stock JK on?
Looks like you could take Old Sharf Ranch RD or Entrada Ranch RD and meet up with 4 1/10 RD?

Look up the Castleton-Gateway Road.

Guinness44

Adventurer
We have driven a Ram (138 inch wheelbase, stock) w. 285 tires on: Chicken corner, Top of the world (the backway, NOT Rosegarden), White Rim, Shaefer, Klondike (where that picture with the red Jeep is taken light contact with the rock under the TCaseplate), the Maze (but not down to the dollhouse). Some was ina 99 year V10, other in a 02 Cummins. Also starting at the needles part of Lockhard basin trail, to Lockhard canyon, and return to needles same way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles