@Adrifters - F550 Surf Camper Build - Adrift Motorhome

S2DM

Adventurer
Any updates ?
Ward

Making lots of progress. Our truck arrives in two weeks and the wheels and tires in a few days. Think I'm going to redo our build thread so I've been letting it slide, Truck first/camper second, seems a more appropriate order :)

Last edited:

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Beautiful work, I wish I had the shop space and talent to build from scratch. Looking forward to the rest of the build. :sombrero:
:beer:

bajarat

Explorer
Curious with your comment regarding engine not requiring ULSD, just the pollution components in the exhaust.

Can you provide any info/source so I can do my own research? I am in the process of selecting engine and powertrain options for a rig that will see travel away from areas that have ULSD.

Thanks

S2DM

Adventurer
Curious with your comment regarding engine not requiring ULSD, just the pollution components in the exhaust.

Can you provide any info/source so I can do my own research? I am in the process of selecting engine and powertrain options for a rig that will see travel away from areas that have ULSD.

Thanks

It was just in regards to newer diesel trucks, after 2007. In a nutshell, most of the engines can be made to use non ULSD, but, atleast in the states, they aren't sold that way. So, for a new diesel bought here to travel to mex, it would require a complete DPF delete, which may or may not cause you problems when the vehicle re-enters the US later. It requires a custom tune to not alarm about the DPF delete, and generally, a replacement tailpipe for the section where the DPF unit is.

Many people run mexican diesel in their new trucks and get away with it, but, given the complexity of a new diesel engine and the skilled mechanical labor required to fix one if you have problems, I'm not sure its wise. We bought a regular unleaded truck for that reason. Fuel mileage won't be great, probably 3-4 mpg less than a new diesel, and about 200 ftlbs less torque (after the tune) but I dont need to worry as much about the quality of the fuel it encounters.

Last edited:

bajarat

Explorer
Familiar with DPF, EGR, SCR *options.

My query was more directed to issuses related to injectors, HPFP, and related fuel delivery components.

Research continues,,,,,,,,,,

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
There should be no problem with the injectors, HPFP, and fuel systems due to high sulfur diesel. The sulfur is only a problem for the carbon filter - it just won't work (very long) with high sulfur fuel. These trucks (Ford at least) are manufactured for export without the ULS requirement and without a carbon filter. HOWEVER, poor quality fuel can for sure be a problem in new diesels. Since I'll be traveling in high sulfur areas I'll need to do the DPF delete. My work around for fuel quality issue is to double filter the fuel BEFORE it gets to the Ford filters.
Bruce

S2DM

Adventurer
Well, 19 weeks later, its finally here. After all that, it actually showed up three days early. Apparently the dana factory is at capacity for the 110 and 135s, and so new truck orders in the 450/550 class are over 20 weeks out now and there is a zero dealer inventory on gas trucks.

The basics,

2016 Ford F550 4x4 Crew Cab, 176" wheel base
6.8L V10 Gas
4.88 limited slip diff

Planned upgrades

42" beadlocks (arriving monday) SRW conversion
Suspension upgrade
Front locker

Healeyjet

Explorer
Nice tires!
Now looking at them in person, what do you think of them compared to the Conti MPT81's? I know you have no time on them but just from appearance?
The rims look great as well. How is the build quality, welds, etc?
Ward

S2DM

Adventurer
The composition of the tire seems, harder I guess. Not sure the right adjective. But, they look like they were made to do what they say, higher speeds and lower rolling resistance/improved MPG. I have a feeling its at the expense of a little offroad performance, but we arent rock crawling, so I think its a worthy trade.

No welds on the wheels. They are laser cut steel centers and forged aluminum wheels. Hard to believe, but the stamp says rated for 13k lbs per wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra