@Adrifters - F550 Surf Camper Build - Adrift Motorhome

racer3822

Observer
You've been busy! It looks really good with the Line-x and colors!

I think your rig is pretty amazing and the idea you had behind it. Everything is really coming together, I bet it feels good to get the rear structure squared around too. I don't know of another rig that you have that kind of openness at all, bet the fresh air is amazing....and the ability to collapse down when traveling and having the low CG is pretty awesome. Good job with it!

Also on a side note I had my truck balanced by Nate's Tire last month, that guy is amazing. Truck is riding well now. Its hard to find guys like him and his son anymore.

java

Expedition Leader
That looks GREAT! Glad to see it back together.

How are you liking the wheel/tire combo? Did you regear (or whats your R&P ratio)?

S2DM

Adventurer
You've been busy! It looks really good with the Line-x and colors!

I think your rig is pretty amazing and the idea you had behind it. Everything is really coming together, I bet it feels good to get the rear structure squared around too. I don't know of another rig that you have that kind of openness at all, bet the fresh air is amazing....and the ability to collapse down when traveling and having the low CG is pretty awesome. Good job with it!

Also on a side note I had my truck balanced by Nate's Tire last month, that guy is amazing. Truck is riding well now. Its hard to find guys like him and his son anymore.

Yeah, they are the best. Total game changer in my driving experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S2DM

Adventurer
That looks GREAT! Glad to see it back together.

How are you liking the wheel/tire combo? Did you regear (or whats your R&P ratio)?

Fairly happy with them, still wish there was a good choice with an appropriate capacity in a 39” tire. I stuck with the stock 4:88s which puts my final ratio at ~3:77. Perfect for long freeway runs, turns about 2k rpm at 80mph. Def need 4low on really steep off-road grades though. Plenty of pep off the line, even with the gasser.

java

Expedition Leader
Fairly happy with them, still wish there was a good choice with an appropriate capacity in a 39” tire. I stuck with the stock 4:88s which puts my final ratio at ~3:77. Perfect for long freeway runs, turns about 2k rpm at 80mph. Def need 4low on really steep off-road grades though. Plenty of pep off the line, even with the gasser.

Thanks! Yeah I wish there was something smaller too.... Not much under 42" sadly. I believe I have 4.30's Which would probably be a stretch.

The truck looks awesome! Quick question, what kind of shop did your line-x? I went to a bedliner place here in Seattle and they looked at me like I had two heads when I wanted to have my dump truck sprayed. Currently thinking I want to have the cabin of the expedition truck done.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
uc

New setup looks fantastic! :victory:
Props on that bed. It came together very nice.

Only bit I question is the rear gear locker, as it will make cleaning that back wall surface difficult.

I understand the reasoning though. Needed a spot for that big spare, and a bit more storage is always nice.

FYI, Im going similar direction with my new truck, although the gear locker will be at the front, and will house a small motorcycle

SD0008.JPG

S2DM

Adventurer
Michelin has come out with a 325/85R16 XZL. 5000kg/axle load code 140. But 16s may be too small for a 550/5500. It's 38.7”

Yeah, I'm not aware of any 16" f550 super singles, though I'm guessing Stazworks could make some. Good to know other tires in this load range are emerging.

S2DM

Adventurer
New setup looks fantastic! :victory:
Props on that bed. It came together very nice.

Only bit I question is the rear gear locker, as it will make cleaning that back wall surface difficult.

I understand the reasoning though. Needed a spot for that big spare, and a bit more storage is always nice.

FYI, Im going similar direction with my new truck, although the gear locker will be at the front, and will house a small motorcycle

SD0008.JPG

I actually hadn't thought of the cleaning angle. Theres enough room to stick your hand in there though, so I could probably do it with a brush or squeegee, but good point. The perils of a one-off, self build, you never think of everything the first time. Looking forward to seeing your next round of build. The other disadvantage of my rear locker is just more weight behind the axle. I use it for more light duty stuff thats quick access, camp chairs, cooking supplies etc, but its out there on a lever arm. I have a fold down motorcycle shelf yet to be installed, but I think we are going to switch to 2 e-bikes instead of the tw-200 we've been using.

On another note, I finally got the weather stripping proper, I'll post some images soon. Its a combo of brush seal, hard uhmw pucks that stay about .0625 off, then a bulb seal above and below. Neither brush seal touches the wall as they go up, but when the top rises up, the bottom brush seal compresses against the top one and provides a positive seal. The combo of brush and bulb really seals it up and knocks out noise. The uhmw is just a final safety in case the lifters go up screwy (ask me how I know it can happen :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles