tablet for navigation

nelsonmr

Hi all. First post and I realize it's a near duplicate to a fairly recent one but I'm looking for simple suggestions for my simple mind.

I'm looking for a tablet around the size of an ipad mini to be used primarily for navigation also for internet etc while on the road. I've always been a apple guy for phones and the like and used dedicated gps, usually garmin for nav purposes. After looking through various posts it seems there may be better choices than the ipad or ipad mini.

What I want is ease of use and availability of apps for both highway, back country and off road with the ability to download created or preexisting maps to it. Keeping in mind I'm somewhat technology challenged, so I need effective but idiot proof or to put it more kindly simple.
Cost is less a concern than the above.

While I'm begging for info. Suggestions for apps to accomplish the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any input

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I use Motion X GPS HD for most all my offroad driving. I can download all the maps I need for an area. I was also able to import custom map data from sources outside or Motion X. Satellite imagery is available as well, but that takes up more memory.

For Road Navigation there is Motion X Drive, you can pre load maps of the area you set to navigate to, but if you want to re-calculate you have to have a connection. That is the ONE BIG disadvantage of Motion X Drive.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would grab a lePan mini. It has built in GPS, etc. You can run Backcountry Nav, or something similar, have torque running to keep an eye on your vehicle and a slew of other uses. Best part, I paid 117.00 tax included for mine. I have used it for awhile now and it works awesome. Its the exact same size as the mini but the screen is brighter which is great for in vehicle use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles