2015 GMC Canyon

Blacrose

Hey Deadly,
I've seen your postings over on chevyfans...nice truck btw!

I'm curious about your traction boards though. They look like Smitty's, my question(s) though...have you used them yet? If so, how did they perform? And are you happy with them?

I've been looking at what is available and still haven't made up my mind and I know you get "out there" and play alot!

Thanks for any feedback you can share!

deadly99

Explorer
Yes I have used then, no issues. Really, I think if a person was to spin their tires on any plastic boards they'd likely melt...so I dont see any reason to spend more than you have to on traction boards. I know one brand is being marketed as the do all and end all...I don't buy into the hype nor does my wallet ;) Just my opinion

deadly99

Explorer
Rear bumper build is underway

1.jpg

The point of no return

2.jpg

I wanted the bit behind the rear tire to stick out a bit so I can use it as a foot rest while getting stuff onto and off the roof rack.

http://graveltravel.ca/images/GMC_Canyon/RearBumperBuild/3.jpg

31.jpg

4.jpg

http://graveltravel.ca/images/GMC_Canyon/RearBumperBuild/6.jpg

7.jpg

Length is a concern as the truck needs to fit in my garage. Everything is being built nice and tight to accommodate this limitation I have

9.jpg

2x 2 gallon rotopax and a 48 inch highlift tucked into the swing out

11.jpg

12.jpg

A bit of an arc built into it to follow the contour of the truck

13.jpg

Grease able hinge, gussets, recovery points and a few other pieces were bought from TMR Customs.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Spare tire holder is next, will be something along the lines of this. Swing down to make loading or unloading the tire easier. The cage for the spare will be quick release. I wont keep it on the truck too often, trips and offroading. The truck wont fit in the garage with it on hence the quick release latches and mounts it will use to attach to the swing out.

http://graveltravel.ca/images/GMC_Canyon/RearBumperBuild/17.jpg

Another week or so and it should be completed. The work is being done by a fellow in Almonte, Ontario who has a business called FlatBroke Offroad. Its a nights and weekend type of business. He is a wizard. He also made my sliders and front bumper. Gained 4.5 inches of ground clearance and a much better departure angle

Last edited:

Jsilverado

Truck looks great. I have a 16 1500 now but I still have my s10 that is sitting on 9" of lift and bfg 35s. I love seeing the mid size trucks getting built up.

deadly99

Explorer
Awesome build, truck looks great! Are you on instagram?

Thanks and no not on Instagram.

More progress on the rear bumper. Almost ready for powder coat.

rear.jpg

rear2.jpg

The new view from the rearview camera. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

rear3.jpg

The rear tire and "cage" swing down for ease of removing and putting on the spare tire. It also disconnects with coder pins. With or without the spare and its cage, the swing out will have a locked position so it doesnt bang into the tail gate when its down. License plate, lights, tow hitch, recovery points and some gussets still need to be done. Then off for a powder coat. Should be installed in a week or so.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Wow! Looks great! I like the tight clean fit. So many of these stick out so far I feel like the owner should have two zipcodes.
Fantastic work!

deadly99

Explorer
Rear bumper is done. Turned out really nice. Swing down for spare removal and swing out to access the bed of the truck. 2 rotopax and a 48 inch farm jack in the swing out.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Mykh

Outdoor Party Animal
Put a flat top on the tire and you've got yourself a nice table!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94