New Northstar TC650 and 2013 Toyota Tundra

Tatted

Adventurer
it definitely moves going down the road, but it has to, my laptop mount vibrates as well in my work truck, it keeps your ipad from taking all the impact

Tatted

Adventurer
4 days on the road last weekend, most passes still closed, headed from loveland colorado to silverthorne, through winter park to Leadville , then onto Bailey colorado and out to the Eastern plains
Nighttime fire in Longmont colorado
image.jpg
Outside of Silverthorne on a trail
image.jpg
Headed towards Mosquito pass that will not be open for awhile
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Camping near turquoise lake near Leadville for the night, snow still in the camp sites, some had large drifts and ponds
image.jpg
Lunch on top of the world
image.jpg
On the trail
image.jpg
Kenosha pass trail
image.jpg
Dinner on the trail
image.jpg

cninghm

Adventurer
I just ordered a tc650, dry payload 1500. How does the tundra handle the weight of the camper while driving, braking, etc?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Happy for you, glad you were able to run away from the Palmino before it caught you... It's nice to see another cool Tundra with a popup camper out there. It sure seems like the Northstar is a good camper and a great value.

Tatted

Adventurer
I just ordered a tc650, dry payload 1500. How does the tundra handle the weight of the camper while driving, braking, etc?
Sorry I didn't see this, the tundra is a truck that is way overbuilt. It handles everything perfectly. We go offroad camping. Nothing that crazy it handles it all. I do have airbags wich I feel is a must, plus spend the money on the compressor. I use my airbags to level it camping, plus when the rear basket is full I adjust them a little higher, I'm definitely more comfortable with the weight after using it all summer, it makes me laugh when I hear people saying they would never put these on a tundra, It has given us so much freedom to go where we want, good luck with yours.

brian90744

American Trekker
Stuff in the trunk??=trailer

I think its time to remove the rear storage rack and hook up a small 4'x6' light weigh trailer, I run into the same problem=I don't want to mess up the inside of the camper, so to carry all my camping supplies I got a M416 army trailer, some of the stuff I carry=LP bar b-q, LP fire ring & 5 Gallon LP tank, Tables, Honda 2K gen and fuel, Targets & ammo plus extra clothes for the wife & an EZ up awning, the M416 quarter ton trailer is light weight and tows great. I just picked-up a queen size mattress/box spring which I just strapped to the top. I sometime tow it with my sub-compact Madza2. It appears you are enjoying your camping in the Northstar. just my FYI=brian

Attachments

• camping 2.jpg
    camping 2.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Open midldle rod 1.jpg
    Open midldle rod 1.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 59
  • handle 2.jpg
    handle 2.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Mazda and trailer in april 14.jpg
    Mazda and trailer in april 14.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Tatted

Adventurer
Brian,
I have been bitten by the offroad trailer bug, I love your setup, I plan on getting one this winter, I love our basket but we outgrew it really fast, can't wait to get a trailer, we leave a lot of stuff at home now due to room, we have fell in love with this camper, we have the freedom to go anywhere now and have gotten a good feel how the truck handles so we are starting to get into deeper places in the mountains and up more aggressive trails.

peekay

Adventurer
just out of curiosity, but would you feel comfortable putting the non-pop, full-wall version of the TC650 on the Tundra?

doctorit

Adventurer
just out of curiosity, but would you feel comfortable putting the non-pop, full-wall version of the TC650 on the Tundra?
It's always a tough call, and not a straight up answer. The listed base dry weight of a TC650 is 1350#, but I've never seen one (including my own), that didn't have an as-built badge of 1500# or more. Following that math, the listed dry-weight of a base Liberty is 1770#... count on it being at least 1900# with any options, delivered.

Tatted

Adventurer
My wife has been recovering from surgery this month so no camping. Decide today that it was Time to give the truck a bath for the first time this summer. Now I'm sure it will rain
image.jpg
image.jpg

doctorit

Adventurer
Ha, exactly! I gave the truck a nice wash, even took time to really polish the wheels a few nights ago... it's been raining ever since.

The TC's look so good on white trucks!

Tatted

Adventurer
IMG_1016.jpg
Installed CBI Ditch Lights ....love them
picking up a used Snug Topper for the truck this weekend to have on when the camper isn't on, it is black, I am hoping that it looks good on the truck

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Love that you've been getting out so much with the truck camper. It looks like a great setup. I can't wait to start doing the same and hope that it will help us get out more.

Don.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online