New Northstar TC650 and 2013 Toyota Tundra

flounder

Hello, just stumbled on this thread. I was curious about weights. I have an F-150 and was considering something very similar but get very conflicting info on true ability to handle a camper rig. Of course would get airbags but my issue is that with just curb weight of truck plus a camper I am very close to GVWR. Some places tell me with airbags I could easily go ~1000# over GVWR others say not so and that I run risk of failing hubs/bearings/ or worst case, axles. So, I ask how any of your tundra set ups stack up in regards to curb weight + camper vs rated GVWR? Are you generally over that rating, if so by how much? Obviously, you haven't had much issue with your rigs but I plan on ~1 year on the road and the camper would be on the truck that entire time so want to feel confident I won't have an issue.

Tatted

Adventurer
Hello, just stumbled on this thread. I was curious about weights. I have an F-150 and was considering something very similar but get very conflicting info on true ability to handle a camper rig. Of course would get airbags but my issue is that with just curb weight of truck plus a camper I am very close to GVWR. Some places tell me with airbags I could easily go ~1000# over GVWR others say not so and that I run risk of failing hubs/bearings/ or worst case, axles. So, I ask how any of your tundra set ups stack up in regards to curb weight + camper vs rated GVWR? Are you generally over that rating, if so by how much? Obviously, you haven't had much issue with your rigs but I plan on ~1 year on the road and the camper would be on the truck that entire time so want to feel confident I won't have an issue.
I’m not real sure on F150 weights. It will always be an ongoing discussion on this matter.The Tundra is a way overbuilt rig. This camper weighs the same as my Northstar did so it feels the same. I have had truck campers since I was 21 on everything from a one ton dually to the Tundra. They all feel the same to me. I have currently rear Deaver springs and air bags. Next up is hellwig sway bar. The recent winds we were in were scary, however I think any truck camper would be the same. I am probably over my weight every single time but I feel ever suspension part I upgrade decreases that. I just haven’t had any parts fail due to campers at all. Like I said. I really can speak for the F150 but on the Tundra I’m confident in the stability

flounder

I’m not real sure on F150 weights. It will always be an ongoing discussion on this matter.The Tundra is a way overbuilt rig. This camper weighs the same as my Northstar did so it feels the same. I have had truck campers since I was 21 on everything from a one ton dually to the Tundra. They all feel the same to me. I have currently rear Deaver springs and air bags. Next up is hellwig sway bar. The recent winds we were in were scary, however I think any truck camper would be the same. I am probably over my weight every single time but I feel ever suspension part I upgrade decreases that. I just haven’t had any parts fail due to campers at all. Like I said. I really can speak for the F150 but on the Tundra I’m confident in the stability

Copy thanks! One more question: many on hear have stated that the Palomino Backpacker rigs are not very good; especially in comparison to the Northstars. I was wondering why that seems to be the sentiment? The Palomino's appeared very nice to me when I toured them at the local dealership but I have also never had a truck camper personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles