M416 Hybrid

Ohio Boo

Observer
M416 Tub (and then some)

A good friend of mine gave me a M416 tub. Some sticky fingers took the frame. I have a 4'x6' utility trailer that was designed poorly and never pulled straight. My plan is to combine the two and build an adventure trailer. Here it goes...IMG_5039.jpg

Last edited:

4xchinook4

Observer
I'm sure(with alot of pictures) this will be a thread so many guys will come back to as a reference to look at for years to come, who are trying this same thing.
Popcorn out.!!

Ohio Boo

Observer
I will try and post as many pictures as I can. I don't think this is a common way to redo a M416 or maybe even the most appropriate but I wanted to take advantage of the stuff I have laying around.

Ohio Boo

Observer
So the frame of the utility trailer has been stripped down. I welded in a sub frame for the tub to sit on and be bolted to. I ordered some wheel adapters to match the JK bolt pattern and wouldn't you know, the diameter of the axle hub is slightly larger than the wheel adapter. To add insult to injury, it didn't offset the wheels far enough. The tires will rub the frame. A quick ride to my local machine shop and they opened the adapters up just enough to make them fit. I initially was a little concerned taking material off the adapter, but after seeing how little had to come off, I was ok with it. I also reconfigured the utility trailer to fit the tires. I'll get pics up soon.

Ohio Boo

Observer
Here is the tub on the frame and one of the tires next to it just sizing it up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 59

Ohio Boo

Observer
image.jpg
I started work on the lid. Angle iron now covers the top of the tub to provide a smooth surface for the lid to sit on. As with most of these tubs, mine is a little out of square. No too bad given the thought of what the trailer may have gone through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94