Roof Rack Question - K9 vs FrontRunner

just eric

Adventurer
I've been following several threads pertaining to the the K9 and FrontRunner roof racks and was wondering what your thoughts were as to the pros and cons of slat orientation. Namely, that the slots on the K9 racks run front to back while the slats on the FrontRunner racks run side to side. Seems like there may be less wind disturbance with the front to back slats but that is based solely upon... well nothing.

zscott

Adventurer
What type of vehicle is it going on? I have never seen the K9 in person but the long slats running forward to back are supported by cross slats. In my opinion it is just extra material to achieve roughly the same purpose. The other thing you have to realize is most universal (non k9 specific) accessories for racks are going to be made for a more traditional crossbar oriented like frontrunner. Im sure it isnt hard to adjust things to fit front to back slats but it will take some extra thinking.

I would think wind noise is negligable. In my experience it is wind that gets under that rack that causes noise. Not wind that flows over the top. In that sense they are both the same. The frontrunner racks have a deflector to keep wind out from underneath the rack. I haven't seen a K9 upclose but don't recall them having one. If they don't you will want to make sure there is enough space under the rack for air to pass under without too much turbulence.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
The K9 does have a wind deflector underneath. Also it is welded together as a one piece construction vice sections bolted together. It also has a much lower profile.

I have no experience with K9 but my Front Runner doesn't make any noticeable noise in the cab. Of course being mounted on my canopy I dont think I would hear any rack.

mace.

I'm in the same boat as you and have posted in another thread. I've been looking at both the K9 and front runner for my 5th gen. I like that the K9 can be had in a full length rack but the front to back slats won't work for all my needs. Front runner has a rack available on their site but will also sell one that is 8 inches longer. Front runner did say that the longer one may add additional noise since the length puts it about half way over the sunroof and could cause air to be directed straight down to it.

Ramjet

Explorer
Frontrunner. I've had mine on my FJ for over 3 years. Not a single problem, rattle, rust, nothing. Tons of accessories and I've slept on it, walked on it, and put way to much up there from Home Depot to count. Not a bend, scratch or break. And still solid as a rock without one single adjustment, tightening or otherwise. Remember this....Spend money on something inferior and you will inevitably lose. Spend money on quality and you will inevitably win. Your choice. Cheers.

just eric

Adventurer
Frontrunner. I've had mine on my FJ for over 3 years. Not a single problem, rattle, rust, nothing. Tons of accessories and I've slept on it, walked on it, and put way to much up there from Home Depot to count. Not a bend, scratch or break. And still solid as a rock without one single adjustment, tightening or otherwise. Remember this....Spend money on something inferior and you will inevitably lose. Spend money on quality and you will inevitably win. Your choice. Cheers.

I hear what your saying about spending the money up front means you only cry once. That being said, I believe the K9 is more expensive than the frontRunner...

mace.

Also I've never heard a bad thing about either rack and don't think that the k9 is inferior. I think it just comes down to personal preference and how the will be used.

zscott

Adventurer
I definitely don't think either is inferior. To be honest they are very much alike. I was unaware that K9 was welded together but that wouldn't make it better in my mind. Bolt together construction is just fine. I think it comes down to your personal preference here. I have only seen an handful of the frontrunner racks on 4 runners and I don't like the look a ton. Pelfreybilt has a nice 5th gen with the 3/4 length FR that is nice but the full length versions I have seen aren't as nice looking. Paul with Equipt Expedition though has a K9 on his 5th gen that looks fantastic.

ScottReb

Adventurer
Buy which ever one you like the look of better! Don't over analyze it. Both are well made racks. You can't go wrong

Toro

Welded racks might....unweld. I love my FrontRunner. The profile is a bit tall but it allows me to slide a table undeneath it.
That's why they are a bit tall.

ucs308

Observer
I have a K9 on 5th Gen 4Runner. It was/is tough to install. I am not sure how it compares to the FrontRunner in that regard. The tracks that go from front to back of the K9 are bolted into the 4Runner in only 2 places. The front of rack is not fastened to the 4Runner as does not follow the line of roof. It does flex and unless there is weight on the front of the rack, will lift off the roof. You have to weather seal it really well too, because the foot of the track is not sized for the 4Runner. I am hoping that K9 actually fab something for the 4Runner at some point.

The rack is great. Strong. Solid. But the mounting on the 4Runner is not optimal - imho.

I am not sure if you intend to buy a RTT. If so leave yourself extra time to get it professionally mounted/ and or to have new brackets fabricated. I had to have brackets fabricated to mount the James Baroud. (this might be more of a point of the Baroud manufacturers.).

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
ucs308

Can you elaborate a bit on your experience with the full length K9 rack? I am considering purchasing one and concerned about the overhanging portion of the rack. You mention it lifts off the roof and needs some weight on the front... have you come up with a work around? I am torn between the FrontRunner slimline II or the K9 2.2 meter for my 4th gen 4Runner, your post has me questioning going with the K9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior