Google Project Fi

haven

Expedition Leader
Google recently reduced the price for a Nexus 6 phone. Now it's $499 for the 32 GB model, $549 for the 64 GB model. I didn't see an offer to allow you to pay in installments.
https://store.google.com/product/nexus_6

The Nexus 6 was introduced in October 2014. The phone still has up-to-date specs, running the Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor. The Nexus 6 camera has received positive reviews (e.g., http://connect.dpreview.com/post/7285707615/dpreview-recommends-best-smartphone-cameras)

If you're not sure about a phone with a six-inch screen, then you might want to wait until Fall. Google is expected to announce a smaller Nexus phone from LG or Huawei, perhaps both. These new models will work with Google Fi.

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Ive been on Fi for a month now. It works well in my area. Only issue ive had is that it doesnt support email to text gateways. so had to get a pager from work so i can get pages.

-Andrew

haven

Expedition Leader
One blogger reports that after he received his invitation, signed up and sent in his $30 for the first month's service ($20 for unlimited voice and text, $10 for 1 GB of data), he received a welcome kit worth at least $30. In addition to the Project Fi SIM card, the package contained an earbud headset with microphone, a 6000 mWh external battery capable of recharging the Nexus 6 phone, and a case to protect the back of the phone.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-you-get-with-project-fi-googles-triple-network-phone-service/

Google has said that some Project Fi customers will receive the welcome kit, probably while supplies last.

plh

Explorer
Nothing but good things to say about it. Recently used s Nexus 5x with Fi as a hot spot in Brazil and China. We had a several people tethered to it in Brazil, around 4 gig in 5 days. Worked fantastic. No issues in China either (Shanghai area).

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Anybody else using this service or have recent experience with it? Our T-Mobile is about to be cut off and I'm looking for an alternative. Are you still required to use one of their phones, or can I make my unlocked Sony Xperia work?

I'm mostly interested in the international capabilities, we won't be back to the states for a while.

crazysccrmd

Observer
I use fi all over northern baja and love it. But you can only use their phones on the service.

You can work around the requirement to use their phone by activating the sim in one of their phones and then putting it in yours. I did that for a recent trip overseas and had no problems.

pluton

Adventurer
Most every smartphone now a days is ~$700 or more new. We've just gotten so used to carrier subsidized pricing we don't realize we're paying for the phone in increased service costs. The US and Canada are about the only places that still sell mobile phones like this. Project Fi is an incredible idea. Sadly, the two carriers they chose to partner with offer no service in my area whatsoever, and very little service in most of rural America. If they could offer the same service level as AT&T or Verizon I'd sign up for it in a heartbeat.
You can get $200 Android smartphones at the grocery store. At least they look like smartphones.
Your point about the carriers is key for me: I have Verizon service for a reason.

plh

Explorer
You can work around the requirement to use their phone by activating the sim in one of their phones and then putting it in yours. I did that for a recent trip overseas and had no problems.

I did this method as well for 18 months as my primary phone. It was a Moto X Pure which is really similar to the phones at the time that Google was selling. I have since moved to a Moto X4 (from Google). The pluses that I have noticed is seamless switching between carriers where-as if I ran into a situation with my old phone that wasn't covered by the carrier I was connected to, I'd have to go into settings and search for the next cell service. Note - this did not happen too often, but when it did it was a bit of a pain. The new fully supported Moto x4 does this all automagically. I have also transferred my wife and daughter over to fi and equipt them with x4s as well.

From a cost perspective we are saving a minimum of 30% on the phone bill per month compared to AT&T (old carrier), and a lot more when I am traveling internationally. I'd have phone bills from 2 weeks working in China etc from AT&T of $300 to $500. Now its around $70 worst case. When I am not out of the USA my typical monthly bill is $47.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste