1991 Isuzu Trooper Overlanding Build

Apdl

Observer
Wow!

Awesome well thought out build

Thanks for taking the time to put this together for us to enjoy!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
No problem! Headed to Expo West by chance? I would love to check out this rig. :)

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
No problem! Headed to Expo West by chance? I would love to check out this rig. :)
Unfortunately, I am not. My brother is getting married that week so...

I've been wanting to go to one of these events for a while but there's always something in the way. You know how it is!

Bart

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Unfortunately, I am not. My brother is getting married that week so...

I've been wanting to go to one of these events for a while but there's always something in the way. You know how it is!

Bart

Haha all too well, at least you have a great excuse! Enjoy yourself and best of luck to your brother

S

Squatchout

Gosh now I guess I'm going to have to paint Red Beans! At least I still have my poop brown dash and that lovely as yet to be installed glove box door from my special friend. Ha Ha:bowdown::safari-rig:

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Impeccable build, writing and photography. One other little draw back to the Gen I was the impossibility of removing a cassette out of the tape deck while cruising in fifth gear. Petty, I know. I loved mine. Thanks for the time and detail.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Wow. Very Nice! We had an '87 we bought new that we took the kids camping in. Mojave Road, Borrego, etc. Had the Con-ferr roof rack, too. I still miss that rig. Traded it in for a new '92 but that truck didn't have the cool factor the first gen did.
You did a great job. I can't imagine the hours you spent doing all that work. Thank you for sharing.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Thanks, all, for the nice comments.

Gosh now I guess I'm going to have to paint Red Beans! At least I still have my poop brown dash and that lovely as yet to be installed glove box door from my special friend. Ha Ha:bowdown::safari-rig:
Yup, well, you know where that poop color glove box door came from! LOL And like I said, for some reasons, I think I should have just left the interior, but the black does look good!

One other little draw back to the Gen I was the impossibility of removing a cassette out of the tape deck while cruising in fifth gear.
Yeah, thanks to MP3 players and AUX ports I haven't listened to a tape or CD in the car in years!! Well, maybe a CD here and there, but for road trips, I just have my 160 IPod classic and I am good to go! But you're right, the shifter gets in the way of the radio and and large cups you have in the center console. The radio was really an afterthought, as the very first Troopers were so utilitarian they didn't have a radio at all!

Bart

onemanarmy

Explorer
where did you source the ARB front? I've never seen one before in pics or real life....didn't even know ARB ever made them.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
where did you source the ARB front? I've never seen one before in pics or real life....didn't even know ARB ever made them.
TL;DR?

"ARB Bull Bar with Warn M8000 Winch
Rumor has it that ARB only sent twelve of their iconic looking winch bumpers to the United States back when gen1 Troopers were still young. I don't know if this figure is exactly true, but either way, it sure seems to be, as I have only known of three or so early Troopers sporting one. A few years back, one of them came up for sale on PlanetIsuzoo (www.planetisuzoo.com) and I was quick to act. Sure, I could have just fabbed my own bumper, but it would not have been quite the same as the real thing, especially considering my lack of a tube bender and novice fab skills. I held onto this bumper for three years, before it met my current Trooper. Before I installed it, I took it in to my local powder-coating shop to have a nice layer of black applied. When I got it back it looked brand new. Good thing, since the amount of money I spent on it added up to just about the same price had I bought a new one directly from ARB. The bumper is beefy, heavy and totally ************."

:) Bart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz