Wanting to buy a RRC soon. What to look for

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
Hi guys.
Ive wanted to RRC for as long as I can remember. Growing up at the foothills of the Italian Alps I used to see them very frequently and I always though to myself that when I grew up I would buy one.
Fast forward to four years ago I wanted to buy my first expo rig and ended up buying a 2nd Gen Montero by chance ( awesome, bulletproof rigs.... I'm already on my second ) and I've taken my SR all over the place with zero issues/problems.
I almost bought a Disco1 two years ago but it broke down 2 miles from the seller and at the time my #1 concern was reliability so I stuck with my Mitsubishis.
Now I'm thinking about getting a RRC for many reasons but mostly because of its legendary offroad ability , it's amazing good looks and I'm also in the classic car business and these trucks appeal to me alot.
My dream RRC (besides an early SWB) would be a soft dash 1995 model in either white or green with the tan interior.
Anyways , what are some key things I need to pay attention to when looking at a RRC ? What issues should be address right away ?
Thanks in advance.

Blueboy

Adventurer
RUST, and then rust followed by rust.

Seriously they are rust buckets.

Key areas to review:
1. Pull up the driver's and passenger carpet. The mud flap retainers leak and the soundproofing mat keeps the water resulting in rusted floor pans
2. Do the same in the rear cargo area. The seam sealant breaks down and water gets trapped under once again the big soundproofing mat. Tel tale sign is look at the screws holding down the fuel pump access cover. In some cases the screws are so rusted you can't easily remove
3. The bulkhead or firewall. Water gets trapped and they rust
4. Point of seat belt connection in the rear seat area
5. If the Rover was driven where road salt was used, really take a hard look at rust

Really do your homework before buying one.

Mine was from California and it still had some surface rust in the floor area.

As usual, try and find one that has maintenance records and even then be prepared to replace stuff.

Good luck with the hunt!

aek50

Adventurer
Along with the rust areas mentioned by Blueboy, also check the body mounts underneath the truck especially in the front, the depression where the spare tire sits, and feel around the edges of the doors near the mounts. Remember, the panels are aluminum so on the surface the truck can look like it is in really good condition but underneath it can be a different story.

ntan

Adventurer
That doesn't look like the same truck - the Craigslist ad indicates 145k miles, the one on Youtube is 156k miles back in Nov 2013. Also, think the one in Craigslist is Alpine White vs. the Craigslist ad which appears to be Cornish Cream (but it could just be the lighting)

Ren Draga

The Craigslist ad says, "I'm posting a video that a guy did in AZ that really does a nice job walking you through the truck to give you an idea of what these look like. https://youtu.be/CDhtsfwNDFA"

I think he was just linking to a similar 1995 LWB RRC for illustrative purposes.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Relative to Woodland Park, Boulder is local. Nothing like touching, inspecting and driving the prospective vehicle.

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the suggestion guys! Any drivetrain gremlins to keep in mind ?
Boulder is about an hour and a half from me. I would have no problem going anywhere along the front range for the right truck.

DividingCreek

Explorer
I too had been lusting for another lwb and had my eye out for one for the past couple years. It wasn't a need, just a irrational want. Ended up getting a heads up email from a friend about a truck in the next zip code over from me that was list on craigslist. The seller thought it had a rod knock but said he had seen no rust. I half heartedly made an appt to see it one Saturday morning while making a Home depot run and took my mechanic stethoscope and a flash light. Got there and climbed under the truck waiting for the guy to show up,I couldn't find any rust and the odometer showed 125k. Owner finally showed up and started the truck with a jumper box. I immediately noticed no lifter rattle or rod knock but an alternator bearing noise which the stethoscope confirmed. As it warmed up a rattle on the right side became apparent. The fellows says "thats the rod knock, its starts once the oil gets warm". I roll underneath again with the stethoscope and touch the right cat with the probe.
I rolled out from under the truck and made a stupid low three figure cash offer which was accepted. The issue was a simple catalytic converter rattle. I drove the truck home. The fellow though I was crazy. I now have a 94 lwb in the rare Brooklands Green color with the Lightstone interior. The truck is like a time capsule condition wise. The incredible part was it was 12 miles away.

bri

Adventurer
No way would I pay 12,500 from an average joe. There is one reason I will never own another RRC in CO -- Heating and Cooling.

12,500 is a completely restored price and there is no indication that this is restored. 12,500 is > 6x book price.

1995 are not rare, just getting uncommon to find in good shape. Definitely take to JC or Pikes Peak.

For 12,500, I would require air suspension, stock, perfect mechanical condition, NO rust, dings and perfect leather and paint and rebuilt engine.

There are only a couple of people in the US that I would trust to build me a disco or RRC for that price and it would include a low mileage '01 ish 4.6 and 10k is more like it.

Not sure what that craigslist owner thinks he has, but it is certainly NOT a 12,500 rover.

145k is not that low for a CO truck. I have owned 2 RRC (89/93LWB SE), 99 D1, 95 D1, 98 D1 and '01 P38. Only the P38 has 145k. All but two bought in CO.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior