Hugh's scrach build of small slide in pop up

hugh_h

Observer
I just left the stuff for lifting the roof and parts for jacks ad the paint shop.
Cant wait to have roof finished, then the fabric for soft walls and it will look it's finished ... form the outside. off course there are dozens things to do inside but since you have roof and walls its almost ready :wings:
m20151207_235924.jpg

hugh_h

Observer
First time workshop did it too fast - I'm not ready to install yet.
m20151211_144734.jpg

but the way it looks make me happy .. hmmm am I normal ... ?
m20151211_144744.jpg

m20151211_144801.jpg

Canufixit

Observer
First time workshop did it too fast - I'm not ready to install yet.
]

If you are ever looking for another project - I'd be willing to let you work on mine :).

What adhesives did you use for the project? By the way your English is excellent if it is not your native language....

hugh_h

Observer
If you are ever looking for another project - I'd be willing to let you work on mine :).
What adhesives did you use for the project? By the way your English is excellent if it is not your native language....

yep no problem ... actually I do not like what happens in politics in mine country, maybe it's time to leave but I fought abut meeting kangaroos :) anyone from Australia wants a custom camper ?

Are you interested in any particular adhesive? I used a lot of them different for different tasks.
Mainly I'm using Soudal products, I think this brand is not so popular in US as in Europe.
I found that really there is no significant difference between brands, I always obey one rule when choosing adhesives, paints, etc. I read TDS before buying stuff - if you can't find TDS or there is crap in it - never use it its a wast of time and money. Never buy product because it is the only one in the local shop.

ok today I started with this ...
m20151213_130126.jpg

and ended up with...
m20151213_192200.jpg

yes it is custom trumatic heater wall flue
m20151213_193441.jpg

hugh_h

Observer
I'm back again ... and let me skip all the worklog ... because it's nearly finished, sorry but had no time to write it on the go. If you have any questions about build please let me know.
Anyway camper is on the truck, of course there are some stuff left to do but we already had small inauguration, and I'm looking forward for the first proper trip.

20160411_111507.jpg

m20160410_220300.jpg

m20160410_214201.jpg

m20160410_213130.jpg

m20160410_213700.jpg

m2016-04-10%2018.01.48.jpg

You can find more fotos here http://hcd-customdevices.pl/jalbum/pickup popup camper/
or you can vist my fb https://www.facebook.com/hcd.customdevices

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Very nice build! What fabric did you use for the popup portion and how did you attach it to the roof and camper body? Also, how much does the roof weight and how easy/hard is it to popup?

hugh_h

Observer
Fabric is maybe not the best choice it's just the PVC typical for automotive tarpaulin. It's easy to get, easy to fix, quite cheap, easy to clean, waterproof but I'm e bit worried about its wear on bends .. any way we will see.
m20160108_123851.jpg

It's just stapled to the wall.
m20160214_162149.jpg

Than on top of it comes masking strip, between strip and the roof I put some butyl sealant.
(On the picture below not painted yet and without corners finished.)
m20160216_161937.jpg

Roof is quite heavy 60kg plus .... but what to expect of wooden frame, and it's exactly as I calculated before doing it.
Anyway I decided to do it this way and give it a try.
m20151218_112912.jpg

To help opening it I calculated springs and found company to made them for me. Springs balance about 35kg of roof weight so it's left for me to lift about 25kg. You opening it side by side so it is not so bad .. but it is not so easy. I am not very happy of this. Maybe one day when I get my hands on a TIG welder I will rebuild the roof using aluminium.

If you back up to the foto of me with the bottle of wine ... you can see above the window two of total sixteen springs.

Last edited:

hugh_h

Observer
Hi every one yes I'm alive :)
We just have back home from our first proper trip - only for a week but it was a good time, and we are happy about most of the stuff.
One problem .. as expected is moisture condensation on PVC walls and window. I'm going to put some blanket around, maybe it helps. Any ideas for that ? I guess that it will end up replacing fabric, but PVC was the cost and time saver for now.
I may just rebuild one shelf for easier access but I'm rally happy about camper (and good for me) mine girlfriend is happy too and even enthusiastic for another trip.

You may visit www.fb.com/movadocamper (no need for fb account) to see some films that I made during the trip, you can see exterior and interior. Films are in Polish but pictures are international :) I promise to make one in English but for now please put comments / questions on fb or here.

Hugh, I am impressed by your efforts! Thanks for sharing!

Condensation in a popup is normal/common. Try leaving a couple of vents open to create a slight breeze to carry the moisture out before it condenses on the side material. Before lowering the top, towel any condensation off. Raise the top and let it air out after a trip.

Again, super nice work.

hugh_h

Observer
I understand condensation it's physics, but i guess that different fabric that "breathe" or with membrane would help.
It's not a huge problem, a bit of sunlight and it's dry in a minutes.
Thanks for words of appreciation.

Now I'm working on mounts for fuel can, and rebuilding one place for easier access to boxes. BTW as you may noticed most of my storage are in euroboxes (300x400mm 220mm high) that I can easily move between places. I need to say that is great to pack at home to boxes, than you bring them in to the camper and you ready to go, instead of taking all the stuff one by one and pack them in the cabinets in the camper.

Rando

Explorer
Excellent work! Really impressive planning and workmanship and I really enjoyed following your progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior