Spotted some testing diesel Rangies stateside

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Now it's my turn to LOL mpinco.

There are a wide variety of Apple products and they offer a wide variety of hardware. I run both platforms daily and your sweeping statements seem to indicate a lack of product knowledge and lack of personal experience.

Your fanboi is showing. Under the covers they are using Intel or ARM technology, just like everyone else. Apple is good at packaging and forward thinking consumer products although even that is coming into question.

Is Apple now a Gen 2 product company?

Apple does a good job but let's not think a Apple smartphone is state of the art. Both Apple and Google care more about collecting information on you than pushing technology forward. That is the over-arching goal of their product line. Neither care about security.

Blackberry leaps ahead of Apple and Google in one vital area

.......The research division of Thomson Reuters has been looking at patent trends and just released a report and both Google and Apple are on the bottom of one list and Google is big on another you should be aware of.

That is the patents being taken out for call monitoring (spying on you) and the patents being taken out for securing calls and communications so you can maintain your privacy.......

I have used Apple, Google and Windows products. Each has their day and all have to compete using a combination of standard technology and some components for differentiation.

Automotive technology on the other hand is an array of embedded systems that now communicate to manage the multi-dimensional operational profiles. It will be interesting to see what Land Rover brings to the table with the new diesel Range Rovers.

Last edited:

snowblind

Adventurer
Your fanboi is showing.

Que the "fanboi" insult. You really are very predictable. As I stated - I use a variety of tech. And I'm not here bashing or promoting any of it. Just answering your trolling.

Good luck with your Blackberry.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Que the "fanboi" insult. You really are very predictable. As I stated - I use a variety of tech. And I'm not here bashing or promoting any of it. Just answering your trolling.

Good luck with your Blackberry.

The discussion was why would someone pay $100K+ for a RR. Apple is the example of people buying high priced products based on image even though the underlying technology is pretty run of the mill. The latest example is the iWatch or whatever it is called. This is really Marketing101.

Apple and Google's focus on data mining you is the tell. Just wait till the Apple/Google car takes you to where it thinks you want to go to buy something as they have tracked all your behaviors, speech and travels. How small that world will be.

As for Blackberry, I don't currently have one. Have in the past, been through all phones and based on product direction and my needs, will probably have one in the future. They are the only ones that are innovative and driving privacy/security capabilities.

Edit add: View the following to understand why people will buy high end RR's

DLD15 - The Four Horsemen: Amazon/Apple/Facebook & Google--Who Wins/Loses (Scott Galloway)

Last edited:

bri

Adventurer
I can buy a LOT of petrol for 100k. I also stop to take a piss at least every 4 hours 300 miles. On road that is about a tank. Off road much less, but almost always I can get to/from a gas station. I have been to some really remote areas in western US in 1995 3.9 Disco. I used to carry 10 gallons extra. They never got tapped out of necessity.

I see no reason for increased miles per tank. Alaska, South America, other places... maybe, but not likely. But, really? I will never buy a 100k vehicle. There are so many other things on my list that one is on the absolute bottom. But then again, my last new car was a 25k outback that was a stupid decision, but the company largely paid for it.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I also stop to take a piss at least every 4 hours 300 miles. On road that is about a tank. Off road much less, but almost always I can get to/from a gas station. I have been to some really remote areas in western US in 1995 3.9 Disco. I used to carry 10 gallons extra. They never got tapped out of necessity.

I see no reason for increased miles per tank. Alaska, South America, other places... maybe, but not likely.

I do not like being required to make my pit stops at a crappy gas station. I make long trips often and really prefer my stops to be nice places, at least a road side rest area with a view and also much quicker than finding a station and getting into a town sometimes taking 30 minutes or longer.

300 miles is pushing it in a land rover for distance to empty. Out west you can't count on that distance between stops because there aren't enough stations to pass up the one at 200-225 after barely 3 hrs.

I find it just one other thing to worry about. I really like having 800-1000 mile range and it also allows me to mostly just get the ethanol free from locations that are not as prevalent.

Stopping less often also increases the tank range which, in addition to the pure gas, starts to make a big difference when working with 53 gallons. The E free gas nets me about 5-10% fuel economy.

bri

Adventurer
I do not like being required to make my pit stops at a crappy gas station. I make long trips often and really prefer my stops to be nice places, at least a road side rest area with a view and also much quicker than finding a station and getting into a town sometimes taking 30 minutes or longer.

300 miles is pushing it in a land rover for distance to empty. Out west you can't count on that distance between stops because there aren't enough stations to pass up the one at 200-225 after barely 3 hrs.

I find it just one other thing to worry about. I really like having 800-1000 mile range and it also allows me to mostly just get the ethanol free from locations that are not as prevalent.

Stopping less often also increases the tank range which, in addition to the pure gas, starts to make a big difference when working with 53 gallons. The E free gas nets me about 5-10% fuel economy.

I regularly clock > 300 miles on a tank in my disco on road and have yet to run out of gas. Definitely OD could be off, have to check. I think that they are more accurate with 245 or 235 tires.

Sure if you deliberately pass up gas, for whatever reason it would be easy to run out. But even when I have been out on some long hauls (yes, out west) I have never had an issue.

Do I carry some jerry cans if really remote. Yep. Would I do it even with 200 additional miles range in my vehicle? Probably. Would I add another fuel cell if I did more? sure.

Would I drop a TDI in my disco? Nope. Would I spend 70-100k for added range? Definitely NEVER.

But non of these matter or stem from some necessity for added range because so far in 20 years wheeling out west I have never *needed* it.

I would do these things because I want to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior