Spotted some testing diesel Rangies stateside

FLoffroad1

Observer
Hello,

Last weekend in Green River, UT I spotted a Range Rover Sport and a fullsize Range Rover apparently testing diesel and B20 diesel engine tech. I saw the fullsize coming down the street as I was leaving. Presumably, they were on their way to Moab (about 1 hour away) - I passed by the hotel again around 6am the next morning, and they had already left.

IMG_8972a_zpsqymn0oss.jpg

IMG_8973_zpsbpob1d18.jpeg

IMG_8974_zpsbjvau1mb.jpeg

IMG_8975_zpscwse4deo.jpeg

IMG_8976_zpspawvlgbg.jpeg

IMG_8977_zps5ucsulxu.jpeg

IMG_8978_zpsusuuid1w.jpeg

IMG_8979_zpsd4wtzmdv.jpeg

They probably had quite a bit of fun, as it poured that whole weekend. Which was unfortunate for me in my little Subaru as I ventured down to Moab after my business in Green River was finished. All I could do was play around in a big mud puddle at the beginning of Onion Creek; everything else was too washed out or slick. I did see an awesome Swiss MAN though.
IMG_9115a_zpsv6moh5tz.jpg

Last edited:

A.J.M

Explorer
The Sport will have the twin turbo 3.0 v6 diesel as fitted to the UK spec Sports, D4 and L405 models.

The specs are pretty good for it.
Power and torque is 255bhp and 516lb ft of torque. 0-62 takes 6.8 seconds and it's limited to 130 mph.
Fuel economy figures are in UK ( true ;) ) gallons. 35.8 for town driving, 44.1 for motorway driving and combined average of 40.4

My dad has the same engine in his Jag XF and it's a wonderful engine, great power, smooth and very punchy. It's much better than the old 2.7 single turbo engine i have in my D3.

The L405 gets that 3.0 engine but also gets a 4.4 twin turbo v8 diesel.
That has 339 bhp and 545 lb ft of torque. A friend got one as a courtesy car once and loved it. It's SO powerful and smooth.

MPG spec's are similar for the 3.0 but with more grunt.

There is also a 3.0 v6 Hybrid model, that takes power from the standard 258bhp to 340bhp.

Very good spot and it will be interesting to see how your market takes to them as the UK is mostly diesel for the land rover range, only the Evoque, Sport and L405 have petrols but they aren't big sellers.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I saw them driving a diesel RHD Evoque a few years back. I knew it was diesel by the black streak coming from the fill cover.

FLoffroad1

Observer
Fuel economy figures are in UK ( true ;) ) gallons.
Nice one; I got a good chuckle from that.

I'm hopeful for the US market's take on modern diesels, but honestly I think we won't catch on like basically everyone else. Petrol's still pretty cheap, and diesels cost a noticeable amount more up front.

That's a shame that they let diesel spill on it.

dcproven

Adventurer
Too little too late,
by the time this rigs are affordable enough to offroad, I'll be dead :)
They should have brought the real diesels back in the day (300tdi, td5, ...) now, I don't care, I'll drive my VW Tdi to work and my V8 to the desert...

Jwestpro

Explorer
Too little too late,
by the time this rigs are affordable enough to offroad, I'll be dead :)
They should have brought the real diesels back in the day (300tdi, td5, ...) now, I don't care, I'll drive my VW Tdi to work and my V8 to the desert...

I don't understand why you wouldn't be jumping at the opportunity to spend $100,000 - $120,000 on a new 2016 Range Rover for the sake of having an 800 mile fuel range ;)

These are just plain goofy now. The lr3 would have been very nice with what AJM calls a lesser 2.7 tdi. Now the LR4 is pricing above $70,000 without several options, $74-$75k 100% optioned. That is pure ridiculousness for a vehicle missing so many true high end features that BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, even VW commonly have already.

Scott Brady

Founder
The big body car with diesel is beautiful. I plan to replace Stephanie's MKIII with the diesel, once they come off the first round of two year leases

A.J.M

Explorer
Any time I've shown my own D3, people on here have commented on how they wished it was available for the US market.
Reasons including the 420-550+ mile range to a tank, the low down torque for when off the Tarmac and also for towing as the diesel is a better tower than the petrol for having power low down and not needing to rev it high for it.

Granted it's the high end models that are getting the diesels, but they will likely in time bring out the Disco sport, Evoque and likely the Disco/LR5 model with them.

The DS and Evoque are getting a brand new Diesel engine later this year which promises better economy and emissions than current engines fitted.

The 2.7 I have is a decent engine, it's just a bit underpowered for the D3 but they remap nicely to balance that out.
The 3.0 is almost perfect for the car and mated to the 8 speed box is a fantastic package.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I don't understand why you wouldn't be jumping at the opportunity to spend $100,000 - $120,000 on a new 2016 Range Rover for the sake of having an 800 mile fuel range ;)

These are just plain goofy now. .......

Why do people buy Apple products?

mpinco

Expedition Leader
something in their kool aid...

damn i have apple products.

Apple's acquisition of Beat was very telling. Beat product was characterized as "Extraordinarily Bad" by audiophiles.

But they are sexy and worn by the cool people! And now they are Apple!

First, I'm not comparing Land Rover to Apple or Beat. It is simply a observation on marketing and achieving brand recognition, irregardless of the underlying quality of the product. Land Rover has come a long way since the days of British Leyland. Apple is still looking for suckers.

Land Rover will sell their high end product. Those who purchase $100K vehicles will purchase $110K vehicles and not even think about it.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Why do people buy Apple products?

Because nothing else really performs as well as my 17" and 15" Macbook Pro or the two Mac Pro over years and years with simple interface.

Same for the damn iphones.

My macs are way more reliable than my rovers ;)

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Because nothing else really performs as well as my 17" and 15" Macbook Pro or the two Mac Pro over years and years with simple interface.

Same for the damn iphones.

My macs are way more reliable than my rovers ;)

I would hope a MAC would be more reliable than a Rover that is constantly pushing the technology envelope. MAC's are based on standard Intel technology and age old Unix. Apples strength is packaging, walled garden apps that move slowly and marketing. Profit margin is derived from selling slightly older technology at higher prices achieved by marketing sex appeal.

In some ways Land Rover also uses the same strategy although I would say LR has to push the technology envelope more than Apple.

snowblind

Adventurer
I would hope a MAC would be more reliable than a Rover that is constantly pushing the technology envelope. MAC's are based on standard Intel technology and age old Unix. Apples strength is packaging, walled garden apps that move slowly and marketing. Profit margin is derived from selling slightly older technology at higher prices achieved by marketing sex appeal.

In some ways Land Rover also uses the same strategy although I would say LR has to push the technology envelope more than Apple.

Now it's my turn to LOL mpinco.

There are a wide variety of Apple products and they offer a wide variety of hardware. I run both platforms daily and your sweeping statements seem to indicate a lack of product knowledge and lack of personal experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior