Wagonofdoom - 2015 Outback build

JStodd555

YES! I saw this on Insta. That's just what I have in mind. Thanks for the post Grant! Mind me asking where you picked up the twin diode LEDs?

(Edit; Sorry! I just realized you had Amazon links in the post on Offroadsubaru. I had only watched the video.)

Last edited:

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
started the bumper swingout for the rear.
Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
doesnt seem like much. this is the bar that will run behind the hatch that the tire and cans will be attached to. about a 10* sweep to match roughly the hatch. ill work on the tire mount and bearing mount tomorrow

CurtStyler

Observer
Hey Grant, I've been following your build and really like it. I'm getting my Outback beginning of October and can't wait to start modifying it.

I'm curious if you think 2 spares would fit on the rear with a slightly wider swing arm. I can't seem to find a measurement for the distance between the brake lights and I'm trying to see if it would be wide enough for 2 spares.

digdug18

Pretty good build so far.

Though the problem with the trailing arm isn't actually an inherent flaw, or subaru making a cheaper part, it's actually coming down to the government and subaru trying to get better a better MPG for that vehicle. They're switching to higher strength steels for many of the body parts, and many of the suspension parts lighter as well. Yeah one trailing arm losing 10oz or something doesn't matter, but when you add up all those oz's, and it relates to a couple more mpg, it helps sell cars, and helps meet the stringent demands on SUBARU USA.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
My dad's company makes a lot of stamped pieces for companies like Suburu, GM and a couple chevy's now. In high school I actually worked on the presses making these parts for my summer job. Even he had to look over the engineering drawings a couple times for parts and go, "they want us to stamp it out of what gauge steel?!" These parts are made to be strong (and they are) at a very specific angle. Problem is as soon as you show a force in any other direction they crumple. Cast parts may be heavier and more expensive, but they off strength in all directions.

For the new camaro he actually has special machines that laser cut the metal at a very cold temperature because it's impregnated metal. The science behind it is over my head why it has to be cooled down before it's cut but the finished products are extremely strong for how light they are. It's really interesting stuff.

But again, for a vehicle that's going to be subjected to off-camber drop-offs and has a pretty decent payload capacity, maybe stamped control arms weren't the best idea in this case? I mean, it's no off road specific vehicle, but even Subaru drives them on fire roads in their commercials and states something like, "just because the road ends doesn't mean your jouney must end."

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
they also don't have 500-800 more load, in an off camber, weight on single wheel situation. I fully understand that I put the car through more than its meant to. Just like everyone who has to put tubular arms on an FJ, or upgraded axles on a Jeep. Its all the same

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
That's very true. Even looking at the crosstrek, which was a vehicle that was pushed and pushed as an off road capable vehicle by subaru, it really isn't designed to go off road. The days of overbuilt vehicles are gone. One of the reasons why I'll be keeping my Suzuki SX4 for a long time. This is going to be make sound a lot older than I really am, but they really don't make them like they used to. Trying to find a compact crossover that isn't a tin can is impossible these days.

I really like your build though, it's nice to see someone modifying a subaru "properly". Most people shy away from trying to build bumpers off a unibody vehicle but there's really no reason not to, it just takes a little bit more effort tying it in. You're doing a great job and keep up with the updates!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior