The Frankenstein Build: 1996 Tacoma Long Travel/Expo/Trail Rig

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I guess ! It's a really good job, although it's expensive...but certainly in the future I will even I

The track width has been expanded ?

yea its pricey. And only gets pricier! Overall width goes up 3.5'' per side.

I've always loved your build, but what I have loved even more are the places and adventures you've taken on the truck on. Good to see you over on this site as well.

Thanks man!

Yea ive been enjoying reposting this. Quiet the trip down memory lane :) Will be sharing all those adventures again too! And the new ones.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
On with the build posts!

After getting my brake line installed I was off to my first Tacomaworld Meet in Montana! Was a long ways for me, 6 hours of driving, to a trail called Rock Creek. I ended up meeting some VERY good friends here that i would continue to go on many adventures with. Little did i know this trip would set the "tone" of every big trip id ever really go on in a small way.

At the meet where several people, but a few would stick with me for a long time. Lisa and Tony where two that i still am glad to call friends.

The two that really set it for me though was Ben and Mike.

I was the first person to arrive and meet Lisa, the organizer of this meet. I quickly set up my tent and pulled up a chair with her to wait for everyone else. It was at this moment i had realized i had just drive several hundred miles to meet with people id met on an online truck forum in the middle of the woods to drive our trucks around.....:Wow1:

No

regrets

:)

eventually, everyone showed up and a couple of us decided to go for a night time little drive on the easy dirt roads, just enjoying the night. Mike didn't come, as he is anti night driving guy. Something i would forever know.

Everything went great. Around the campfire that night, Ben, Mike and I really bonded over the fired hitting it off instantly. We were forever friends and had no idea the great adventures we would do in the coming years. Was a great night and i went to bed looking forward to doing the real trail in the morning.

sadly, i wouldn't get to, well, not really in my book.

We woke up and got ready for the day and i started Frank up to get the motor warm. Then all of the sudden a huge cloud of white smoke came out of and the ground below the motor was soaked.

after some peeking under the hood, We found a freeze plug had totally blown out of the block somehow. Unable to make it stay in i had to go up the mountain in Lisas truck with her to get cell service and call my Dad to come and get me. He was not impressed or happy about it as he thought it was stupid i was up there in the first place. But he said he would come and be there in the afternoon.

So i ended up riding shotgun all day in everyone elses truck. Which was fun in its own way. But i was dying not being able to drive my own.

My dad finally showed up and put on the tough guy attitude and wasn't his jolly self. He was mad as he had planned on towing the camp trailer up the mountain that day for hunt camp for the approaching Elk season.

But he did come, and did tow my truck all the way home. Little did he know he would end up doing that plenty of times..and thus his truck became The FRV....The Frankenstein Recovery Vehicle. And eventually would end up jumping full bore into the mods himself to come on these trips. But im getting ahead of myself.

haha it is laughable how those photos look compared to how they look now. My god. So funny hahaha

Needless to say, i returned home and wanted vengeance! So got to work and fixed the truck and added more parts :cool:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I had a few weeks earlier participated in my second group buy to get a new front bumper and it arrived not long after this first meet. Its an Elite Offroad custom bumper. They are no longer made and im glad i got one when i did. Its a work of art really and is quiet strong.

But man oh man did it look bad with my lil cute 31s haha But i didn't totally realize that untill i saw my first truck on 33x12.5r15s at my next meet. Which was will my very good friend Jon.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
My next meet was out in Lander Wy. The first TW Wyo Meet. A whopping two people showed up, including myself :p But it was still fun. We had planned on running Shoshone Lake Trail and Christina Lake trail. Which knowing what i know now about those trails it was probably a good thing i didn't end up going as i had no sliders and would have definitely hurt something.

Basically what happened was a big storm blew in a day or so before we met up. It rained all that day and the day we finally met at the gas station at 2 am.

Yea, after parking next to Jon, i knew i needed 33s. Which he liked as he was thinking about 35s..

As we chatted into the night under the gas station we saw a small single cab 2nd gen tacoma drive by with bumpers and decided to follow him to invite him.

turns out he know about TW but didn't really wheel. Also told us he had heard Shoshone was pretty rough and hard to drive. This just peaked our intrest. He gave us his cell phone number in case we broke down as he had friends in the area that could come help us.

We went off to sleep at the city park which has free camping. Id brought a tent but it was just too damn wet and still raining so i just slept in the truck like Jon.

The next day we got up early to hit the trail and it was STILL RAINING! Super weird for Wyoming.

The rain didn't stay rain the higher we got though..

eventually, the snow was 6-8'' deep and we still had a long ways to climb. It being October we figured the snow at the summit was even deeper and it wasn't worth pursuing. So we turned back and called our friend to ask if he knew of a place in the valley to go. He sure did and lead us out there.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
well..turns out it was muddy...like REALLY muddy. Like...i seriously NEVER want to go through mud again Muddy. There is STILL mud on my truck from this trip.

The Bad lands were still pretty though.

About $20 dollar later you could almost tell they were trucks after the car wash..but barely.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
of course had to do some trimming.

Then slapped my Hellas back on.

But i found that the 4'' Backspaced rims didn't keep the front tires off the frame when turning at full lock. Since i had the 1.5'' spacers just lying around now...figured..why not??

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Then i scored some LF240s for stupid cheap

They are quiet a bit bigger then the hellas...

I then got in a bit of an accident...backed into a friends car...I won...by a lot haha

Next was some PIAA 510 Ion fogs.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I also took one of my dads old ammo cans that he didn't use anymore and started putting together my OSK(Oh ******** Kit)

Then went for a drive :)

Due to the crazy little amount of backspacing and my tires sticking out so much. I once again had to cut a bit. this time folding the fender in on itself to make it self clearancing if i hit it again.

Then took some of my favorite photos of the old body. Man. It was clean. I took of the chrome fender trim pieces and it looked slick!

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
At long last it was time to put on the BAMF sliders i had been sitting on for too long.

Got to do this at my good friends place with a lift. While i was up there, i got more photos of the exhaust as people had requested it.

These were some of Jerry's first sliders ever built, and they were awesome, but had to me notched to fit at the front mount. Not a big deal. He fixed his design as well. Plus, i have no issue with doing stuff like that anyways.

we got them lined up how we wanted them here.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior