Custom Wind Deflector for my F150 & FWC Hawk

I picked up my new air deflector for the front of the Hawk. I had it personally stylized to go with the whole idea of over landing. The cost was negligible at $190 for the aluminum and the print. I'm gonna use my already existing Yakima bar and faring mounts with a little Foospa magic to get it to fit right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 59

LuckyDan

Adventurer
Nice Graphic(s). Do you have enough time on the 150/Hawk combo to have an idea of the mpg with the deflector vs no deflector?

Doc Foster

Adventurer
I like it! Yes, please show details of how your attached it, and any changes in mpg once you had it on for a while.
Thanks

Without the faring I was getting 12-14 mpg, with just the Yakima faring I got .5-2 mpg better. I'm finishing the install today so I'll post more pix later. Dan

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Nice work. Sorry I didn't get a chance to get the rear picture from my deflector, but yours looks great. I like the graphic. Do you still need the picture?

Sorry, I have been crazy busy and haven't had a chance to make it out to the camper/deflector.

Jack

Nice work. Sorry I didn't get a chance to get the rear picture from my deflector, but yours looks great. I like the graphic. Do you still need the picture?

Sorry, I have been crazy busy and haven't had a chance to make it out to the camper/deflector.

Jack
No worries, I'm good and thank you. The deflector is installed and travels well, I've already noticed a slight increase in mileage and the wind noise has been reduced dramatically. Here are some pix of the back frame I used to make it rigid. The black plastic things are what Yakima supplies when you buy their faring, and I used them to show me where the holes were to be drilled. Always drill into the front it creates more of a mess on the opposite side, and if possible bang a tiny starter hole to keep the bit in one place.. It ain't perfect by any means but it will suffice for now. As I drive it leans against the the gas lifts. I'm gonna add some threshold material against the back to reduce rubbing and wear. When I'm in camp and about to set up, I'll use a piece of 2x4 that I cut a 45* at one end to slightly lift and it pushes the deflector forward a inch to clear the gas lifts. I also had to shorten the bolts in the last picture as they were just too long and would've scratched my cab.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 38
Mounted

More pix mounted. Again the 2x4 will be removed for traveling and installed for setting up the camper top. I'll do it this way until I have time to make some nice bumpstops instead. Leaving tomorrow for the expo, so my time is very limited.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 33

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Glad to hear you got it worked out. Yours looks great. I have been torn on what material to use for my V2, but I never considered aluminum, so thanks for that idea. That might be better/cheaper than my other choices.

Jack

Fast signs could've made one in a laminate of aluminum and plastic and the design would be better protected from the elements, but it was another $80, slightly heavier and I've been hemorrhaging funds left and right lately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94