Finally a real 12v air conditioner? - Indel Sleeping Well Cube

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
There is nothing available that beats a decent domestic split system for efficiency, these DC 12/24 units are still going to use twice as much power as a decent split like the Daikin or MHI. I can run my 2kw (6800 BTU) MHI from a 350W inverter.

The tricky bit is finding space for them!

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
The DCAirco, their smallest unit needs 60+ amps at 12 V to provide 9000 Btu of cooling.

I doubt any unit can move heat out with consumption at a rate that vehicle mounted solar can keep up with.

Want it. Just can't see the physics of it.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Well I invested in this. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253665084/zero-breeze-the-worlds-coolest-portable-air-condit

I have serious doubts about this but its supposed to arrive in late June. I'll let you know if I got ripped off. I'm also assuming I can recharge it with my solar setup during the day. If not I'll keep it in plain sight as a reminder not to do kickstarter.

Uh....

All any a/c unit does is remove heat from one side and dump it out the other. Which is why one side is inside and the other is outside. If they remove heat from inside and dump it back inside...the net result is zero.

So I can see using that as a sort of super-cool fan to blow cold air in your face while outside.

But no way will it cool off a closed space unless the hot end is outside of the closed space.

Might work for a tent though as long as the hot end is outside.

Though 1100 btu won't do much. Maybe cool the tent off a bit after the sun goes down.

Still, I wouldn't mind playing with it...as long as I didn't have to pay for it. :)

djb_rh

Observer
Anyone install one of the indelB Cube ACs ?

Not yet, but I have the AutoClima U-Go (supposed to be the same thing) sitting on the floor of my shop right now. It's going in my Ford Transit long/tall adventure van I'm building up over the next couple months. I hooked it up directly to an Odyssey PC680 battery and fired it up just to see how much cold air it blew. Took a couple minutes to get fully cold, but seemed like "enough" air. But we'll see.

My plan is to hopefully run the ducting to a hole in the floor by a wall. I'll be doing an RV-styled power system using an inverter/charger, big battery (400Ah total, somehow, haven't decided how yet), solar panels on roof, etc. The power thread is here:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...y-adventure-van-power-system-please?p=2316435

Anyway, seems well-made. Got it for just under $2k from www.badgeair.com in the US. Per BTU, it's more than the kickstarter thing. But I'm worried the kickstarter thing won't EVER ship, but simply because that's so common with kickstarter things.

Even if my U-Go won't cool the entire van, I'll simply use it to cool the bed area alone by using some insulated curtains. I really only need it for sleeping more than "being a cold RV all the time."

I plan to update here with my experiences either way.

--Donnie

traveldud

Observer
Well I invested in this. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253665084/zero-breeze-the-worlds-coolest-portable-air-condit

I have serious doubts about this but its supposed to arrive in late June. I'll let you know if I got ripped off. I'm also assuming I can recharge it with my solar setup during the day. If not I'll keep it in plain sight as a reminder not to do kickstarter.

I would've as well but the costs now are too much for me. Keep ys inthe loop pls. Thx!!

adam88

Explorer
Not yet, but I have the AutoClima U-Go (supposed to be the same thing) sitting on the floor of my shop right now. It's going in my Ford Transit long/tall adventure van I'm building up over the next couple months. I hooked it up directly to an Odyssey PC680 battery and fired it up just to see how much cold air it blew. Took a couple minutes to get fully cold, but seemed like "enough" air. But we'll see.

My plan is to hopefully run the ducting to a hole in the floor by a wall. I'll be doing an RV-styled power system using an inverter/charger, big battery (400Ah total, somehow, haven't decided how yet), solar panels on roof, etc. The power thread is here:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...y-adventure-van-power-system-please?p=2316435

Anyway, seems well-made. Got it for just under $2k from www.badgeair.com in the US. Per BTU, it's more than the kickstarter thing. But I'm worried the kickstarter thing won't EVER ship, but simply because that's so common with kickstarter things.

Even if my U-Go won't cool the entire van, I'll simply use it to cool the bed area alone by using some insulated curtains. I really only need it for sleeping more than "being a cold RV all the time."

I plan to update here with my experiences either way.

--Donnie

Donnie, curious to hear your results about this! I really think the Autoclima UGo looks like a well built system. It uses quality parts (like a Danfoss compressor) and the dual hose design is critical. I also like how it doesn't need a drain hose.

3250 BTU is not a lot, but also not a little. That should be enough to cool off a bedroom.

Please let us know your experience :)

craig333

Expedition Leader
Well a few have received their zero breeze units so far. Plate has a rating of 12.5 amps. More than I'd hoped for, that'll max my solar but doable depending on how well it actually cools. I'm still not holding my breath that a box will arrive any time soon. At least its not complete vaporware. If I were having production issues I'd ship a few out hoping that calmed the masses down for a bit.

adam88

Explorer
At 55 amps/hours that is going take some serious batteries.

Doesn't seem that crazy to me. I doubt it would run 100%, maybe do a 50% on 50% off cycle? Especially at 9000 btu. At a 50% duty cycle it should be able to run overnight on a 300ah lithium ion battery bank. Many RV's are now putting 1000ah lithium ion battery banks in their RV's and I suspect it will only continue to grow as battery prices come down. I think in the next 10 years we will see 5000ah battery banks on RV's and you'll be able to rapidly charge them at any Electric Car station, making the idea of conserving energy a thing of the past. Here's hoping!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94