Question about the new BFG km2

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Has any one used it to any extent?
How does it compare to the old mud terrain tread design?
It looks like the old km or MT is being phased out for the newer km2 design.
Its time to purchase new tires for my E350 4X4 van and the size choices in the old MT are becoming limited.
I guess I'm being resistant to change but I have used the old MT design for lots of years with great performance and dont really want to change from a proven performer.

regards,

Jim

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I have posted this same question a couple of times in other threads and I'm very curious myself. My thinking is that most of the sizes that are common to members of this board have yet to be made available to the retail market (285/75R16 & 255/85R16 for example).

I think it will be a while before the sizes are both available and have been tested in lots of terrain/miles before we can get a true feel for the new design. I'm very interested as to the noise or lack thereof from the new design.

I have a set of barely used BFG MTs in 255/85 and I would love to get a set of the new design, have them both mounted and do some back-to-back testing. But another set of tires is about the last thing I need for my trucks.

alaskantinbender said:
Has any one used it to any extent?
How does it compare to the old mud terrain tread design?
It looks like the old km or MT is being phased out for the newer km2 design.
Its time to purchase new tires for my E350 4X4 van and the size choices in the old MT are becoming limited.
I guess I'm being resistant to change but I have used the old MT design for lots of years with great performance and dont really want to change from a proven performer.

regards,

Jim

Guinness44

Adventurer
Whoa, didnt realize they are phazing out the MT. Bummer, they look better on my truck than the KM2, and now if a tire gets unservicable.....one needs to replace them all.
(And yes I thought I better order one, no more).
But I have read on another forum so far the KM2 sounds actually better than the MT.

Redline said:
My thinking is that most of the sizes that are common to members of this board have yet to be made available to the retail market (285/75R16 & 255/85R16 for example).

I think I read somewhere that these sized tires won't be available untill September. I may break down and get a set of the old style MT's before then.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"285/75R16 "

there was a large batch of these available late last year from a Baja trip company in CA.

I have 5 sat in my garage.....mmmmlook lovely

A certain famous US 4x4 trainer has had them on his 90 for at least two years.

Basicly it was the test tire size that they gave to people to beat to destruction.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I almost purchased a set of those, decided against it. Want 255/85 instead.

Good purchase, the price was right!

UK4X4 said:
"285/75R16 "

there was a large batch of these available late last year from a Baja trip company in CA.

I have 5 sat in my garage.....mmmmlook lovely

A certain famous US 4x4 trainer has had them on his 90 for at least two years.

Basicly it was the test tire size that they gave to people to beat to destruction.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
He never said so and I never asked. Everything I read and when I spoke with him was 285/75R16.

I also asked if they were load range E or D, as I prefer D for a softer ride. He said they were E. Maybe he didn’t know everything he had when I talked to him. Oh well, I will get a set from the Tire Rack later if I want them. ☺

stevenmd said:
the dude had 255/85's...:wavey:

Last edited:

travel dodge

Adventurer
I have had a set for a week or so now in 315/75/16. quiet and smooth on the highway, good feel on higher speed sand and trails I will post more when they get some wear but very happy for now.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Good to hear. From looking at them I thought they might be smoother on-highway than the current BFG MT, and I couldn't image them making a louder MT in this day and age of modern computer designs.

travel dodge said:
I have had a set for a week or so now in 315/75/16. quiet and smooth on the highway, good feel on higher speed sand and trails I will post more when they get some wear but very happy for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles