How many miles are Cherokees good for??

UncleChris

Adventurer
I am thinking about getting a 100" trail rig and am seeing some high mileage XJs for cheap.

I got rid of my old XJ(98) at 170,000 miles. In retrospect I think it was balljoints/Wheel bearings.

A friend of mine is still running his(96) at 220,000 miles.

Does anyone have any experience with high mileage XJs? How high is too high?

Thanks

Scott Brady

Founder
The Cherokee's are near Toyota reliability. The had about 15 years of getting it just right.

As you know, the rear axle is a must replace item.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Production ran from 84 through 01 on the XJ's. 87 introduced the 4.0L fuel injected inline 6 which was followed in 91 by the High Output model.

My bud has 250K on a 94 YJ, my 94 XJ has 152ish. I'v read where alot are reporting mileage exceeding 300K by this time.

But of course alot depends on the maintenance habits of previous owners.

87-89 XJ's were available with a Dana 44 rear axle...i routinely find them in the upulls. The Chrysler 8.25 is a stout axle also. The Dana 35 with c-clips is the one you want to avoid.

www.naxja.org strictly Cherokee XJ site where you can find anything Cherokee related.

HTH..

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
I would look for a 97 to 99 XJ as they have high pinion front axle and a the 29 spline 8.25 in the rear. The 8.25 is suggested to have the same strength as a dana 44. Just limited on locker choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior