Lr3 catalytic and exhaust replacement

khronus79

Adventurer
My Lr3 is about to turn 100k😎 on its odometer and it has given me very little problems if any at all.
Recently the engine light came on and it was diagnosed with a bad right bank catalytic converter, dealer quoted me a little over $1800 to have it replaced.
I'm sure that eventually I'll have to replace the other catalytic as well, so that would put me at around $4k for both cats.
Has anyone replaced their catalytics with aftermaket units??
Has any of you guys found a better solution for the low hanging exhaust system???
I'm thinking that for $4k I can get everything replaced with aftermaket units, am I right or should I just stay with OEM parts???
Any opinions or suggestions???

A.J.M

Explorer
Do you need the cats fitted for emissions testing etc?

If not, remove them and get an after market system installed.

That $1800 price is £1440 and I can get a full decat system from the turbo ( Diesel engine here ) to the end of the system for under £700 so you must be able to get something sorted.

Not sure on a way to solve the low hanging exhausts though. Mine have taken a few hits in that area but are holding up well.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I had a p0420-00 catalyst system efficiency below threshold message. Caused by multiple misfires. I'm planning on replacing the spark plugs and having an injector flush first before going any further. My engine light comes in and goes off as it clears itself running through a few cycles. My tech says that the engine light coming on has a fair bit to do with the ethanol and winter gas mixtures. It's been much better in the late couple of weeks.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Quick google search says parts should be $450 to $550 per side. Add in front/rear O2 sensors for one side and your in the $750 range. Even at LR shop rates $1800 is too high.

khronus79

Adventurer
Do you need the cats fitted for emissions testing etc?

If not, remove them and get an after market system installed.

That $1800 price is £1440 and I can get a full decat system from the turbo ( Diesel engine here ) to the end of the system for under £700 so you must be able to get something sorted.

Not sure on a way to solve the low hanging exhausts though. Mine have taken a few hits in that area but are holding up well.
I'm thinking about going without cats since there's no emissions testing where I'm at. However I'm unsure if there are any downsides of decatting the gas engine. Maybe cheaper universal cats.

I had a p0420-00 catalyst system efficiency below threshold message. Caused by multiple misfires. I'm planning on replacing the spark plugs and having an injector flush first before going any further. My engine light comes in and goes off as it clears itself running through a few cycles. My tech says that the engine light coming on has a fair bit to do with the ethanol and winter gas mixtures. It's been much better in the late couple of weeks.
I will also be doing this although my engine light is not intermittent.

See what midas charges
I'm definitely trying a few independent and muffler shops to see their prices.

Quick google search says parts should be $450 to $550 per side. Add in front/rear O2 sensors for one side and your in the $750 range. Even at LR shop rates $1800 is too high.
They charge about $150 per hour, maybe a little more, I've have to double check.

A.J.M

Explorer
Decatting a Diesel exhaust is a good way to improve a bit of flow and pick up from the engine.
It's been done but "technically" not legal.

The way around that is to fit the decat pipe, then gut the old cat and have the shell welded over the decat.
Or fit a underbody plate as if the mot tester can't see it. He/she can't fail it. ;)

Edit as I've remembered something.

I'm sure I've read about someone who made a custom exhaust for the 3.
It however, could be separated at a point under the car where you could remove the rear sections, run trails then rebuild it for the road home.

Issues I could see where, dealing with a hot exhaust when trying to unbolt/rebolt it together and storage of the bit removed to let it cool off.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz