goliath expedition

XXXpedition

Explorer
i know it has been mentioned deepin the archives :)
but i think it's definately worth pointing out again!

i started an 'adventure group' (like a mini forum) on a business contact website and this got posted. i wanted to share this - this is a good summary of this adventure:
https://www.xing.com/app/forum?op=showarticles;id=9464600;articleid=9479802#9479802

this is the website: http://goliath.mail2web.com/default.asp

and it's amazing that two people were actually able to walk and swim (!!!) across the bering straight. in 2006 the managed this challange and made the news. here is a video in parts (total about 30 minutes) about this amazing achievement!
http://goliath.mail2web.com/Video/BBC_InsideOut.asp

XXXpedition

Explorer
hmm, the first link seems not to work...
but here it is just in case.
posted by robert w. kranz:

"‘Goliath’ is the first expedition ever to attempt to forge a path of unbroken footsteps from the southern tip of South America back to England without using any form of transport. Karl Bushby, whose idea and dream became this expedition, will take no fewer than 12 years and 36,000 miles to traverse some of the most remote and challenging places on earth.

Alone and unsupported, Karl began his journey on November 1st, 1998 in the Chilean town of Punta Arenas. Karl walked northwards through South America, Central and North American, before crossing from Alaska into Siberia, using the semi-frozen Arctic waters of the Bering Strait. The journey will continue westwards through Siberia, down to Russia’s southern border, across Asia and Europe. The finish will be (pending authorisation) through the Channel Tunnel and into the United Kingdom.

Like no other in history, The Goliath Expedition is unique not only in its approach but also in the way it is supported. The home base team provides administration and support from the United Kingdom in their spare time (they have full time jobs). They have plenty to do to keeping Karl upright and moving forward. Most expeditions would not even think of setting off without sponsorship / support and funding. The Goliath expedition set off with just £500 ($800 US)!

Communications are an essential part of the expedition. This is achieved by conventional telephone line, cellphone and email, plus satellite communications while traversing Alaska, the Bering Strait and Siberia and other remote parts of the world.

For planning reasons the route is broken down into eight stages, then phases and lastly legs. Food and other basic supplies will be acquired en route. Karl's ability to use waypoints (town and villages) for re-supply will shape the route. Stores and equipment are pulled, rather than carried, in a wheeled carriage, nicknamed ‘The Beast’.

The Gaps

The Goliath Expedition has encountered every environment and condition the planet has to offer, but there are three main "gaps" in the route that require special attention and planning.

Gap 1, The Darien Gap

A large undeveloped swampland and pristine jungle environment, the Darien Gap forms the border between Columbia and Panama. Known for the challenge it presents to all who try to pass through, as well as its significance in the civil /drug wars of Columbia, the Darien Gap presented the Expedition with a very real challenge.

Gap 2, The Bering Strait

Understandably, the Bering Strait could be considered the crux of the Expedition. At roughly the halfway point for Karl, the Bering Strait presented a very significant and life threatening challenge. In order to accomplish the ultimate goal of the Expedition, Karl would have to achieve something no other modern explorer had ever done before: the Goliath Expedition was going to have to cross a semi-frozen sea of churning ice and water, facing some of the most extreme conditions possible, and walk, stumble and swim across the Bering Strait from the US to Russia

Gap 3, The English Channel

Twenty-one miles separate Great Britain from the rest of Europe. The final Gap for the Goliath Expedition is the English Channel. Three interlinked tunnels run under the Channel, two for traffic and a third service tunnel. Though not legally available as a public thoroughfare, it is hoped that, with Karl Bushby then only 21 miles from home, that the authorities will allow him to walk through. Until that point, however, the Channel stands as the third and final Gap. These three gaps tie the dream and the continents together creating the potential for one of the most incredible stories told. "

DavidG

Adventurer
Unbelievably strange timing!

I've been following Karl's journey for years and thought I would check ExPo today to make sure his story had been posted. I did a quick search and see that you beat me to it :) Really, really strange that we both thought about this today.

Anyway, take a look at his journey, read his book and maybe send him a buck or two if you can. I really enjoyed his book.

I cannot understand why more people don't know about his journey and why more news outlets have not written about it. IMO, it is truly remarkable.

-David

XXXpedition

Explorer
new visa rules causing problems

russia has new visa rules - this slows down the expedition and hinders karl in his quest...
hope it works out.
from his site:
3 June 2008
Karl returned to Russia on 16th April 2008 and by the end of April, using various means, he had made his way to the Dvoynoye mining camp and the start of the new walking phase. Delays in obtaining a visa meant a late start this year and although the snow and conditions were good at first the snow quickly began to melt and by the time he got to Bilibno on 18th May, Karl was dragging the sled over dirt. Consequently, there was no chance of getting it to Cherskiy. There was also the 90 day visa condition to consider and so he had to make the return journey to Anadyr and then the US, arriving in Nome on 26th May. The main aim now is to find some way of extending the amount of time Karl is allowed to spend in Russia, before Karl's proposed return next winter. Read more entries on Karl's blog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles