Power wagon or 2500 for a light slide in camper

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Heres a thought. What if you got a 2500, upgraded the suspension a little, do a hidden winch mount similar to a stock PW and since you said you dont even use the locker on your Rubi, have only a rear locker installed, Get some underbelly protection and bam. You're done. That way you can have flex/protection/locker/winch of a PW with the weight capabilities of a 2500...

If it were me, I'd get a PW because they're ************.

gsanders

Observer
One quick note on your weight comparison. It would appear that the PW has lower capacity than the stock 2500s, but that maybe because the PW comes from the factory with more add-ons (winch, protection, bumper, larger tires, etc.) which all increase the total weight of the truck, thus decreasing the cargo capacity. I am not sure of this, but you could look up to see what the weight from the factory is of the two vehicles and how close it compares to the difference in cargo capacity. It looks like around 700-1000 lbs. That being said, the trucks may already have the same rated springs, but the difference is because of the extra weight. If that's the case, then the PW will require an aftermarket spring upgrade, and even after the spring upgrade you will still be over your legal GVW if you are ever in an accident or have an insurance related claim. Similarly, if you tally up the extra weight for all the add-ons to a stock 2500 (bumpers, winch, protection, etc.), all of that will eat into your cargo capacity, and you still might find yourself approaching the GVW with your camper on the bed. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, and with my Phoenix camper on full loaded I am over GVW by ~200 lbs.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Good point about the weight difference between the PW and the 2500. I also heard that the TRD package trucks from Toyota actually have softer spring rates to absorb the rough terrain. They are taller springs but softer spring rates so it could be something similar with the PWs too.

coguzzi

Adventurer
looks like a no go from Carli on the power wagon, the power wagon is already 2.5" lift form the factory, i am assuming with longer coils on the 14-15 and more arched leafs on the 10-13 (or blocks) MAYBE there is a coil spacer onthe power wagon, but i highly doubt it, will verify though.

here is the response i got from Carli:

"The rear springs we offer match a 3" front lift, but are actually a 1" rear lift. They're slightly softer than a stock 2500, diesel spring. I don't know that I would recommend them for even a light, slide-in camper application. You'd likely be better off with a set of airbags to adjust for capacity. The rear of the Diesel and Hemi have always used the same springs so we do not plan on making a PW specific coil. The front are different for the obvious weight differentiation but the rears are identical."

as far as capacity difference being eaten up by all the goodies attached to a power wagon, 100% agree. and even after a 2500 has bumper/winch/protection, they would be similar in left over capacity. after market bumpers weigh a ton, unless you go aluminess. I've had Aluminess bumpers before on a Ford E350 7.3l diesel 4x4 van, nice light product for sure

TwinStick

Explorer
PW's sit 1.5-2" taller than a reg 2500. Their weight capacity is less-due to the fact that they have a softer, more flexy suspension. Hard to have one without the other. My leafs are said to be made for Dodge by Deaver (3rd Gen). It has more leafs than a reg 2500's 3-4 (7-8 thinner leafs). I am sure the new coils are the same deal, softer for a more flexy suspension. I say get the PW & just change the rear springs to a reg 2500---DONE !!! All the benefits but less work. It is MUCH easier & cheaper to make a PW fit your needs than it is to make a reg truck be a PW.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
A Powerwagon will haul any camper as well as a tundra will. Even with the weaker offroad springs. I'd go 2500 instead. I don't require all the PW options. A 2500 with a locker added would be fine for me. But if you do, it's cheaper to just buy the PW.

If you do need to level the trucks some: Carli makes long travel air bag kits for their lift kits. Or you can use a regular bag kit and Daystar air spring cups.

coguzzi

Adventurer
No, I have not. It is currently loaded to the bed rails with the remains of some trees that I cut down, the wood is wet and heavy, but I have no idea how much it weighs, if I had to guess; maybe 750-1000lbs? It's squatting just a little bit, but I haven't driven it yet. I'll be driving it loaded this weekend, and I'm picking up a travel trailer on Monday that has a hitch weight of 885lbs. I'll let you know how it does, but that's about the best I can offer at this point.

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

aearles, how did it handle the 885lb hitch weight? ps, that is a gorgeous truck

coguzzi

Adventurer
so an update, i test drove a 15 power wagon laramie, cargo capacity was 1329lb according to the door sticker, my camper is 1245lb dry, before batteries, so easily 1300lbs. then i test drove a 15 2500 6.4l laramie (almost same option list) and the door sticker says 3080lb cargo. as much as i want and love a power wagon, the 2500 laramie came home with me last night. piece of mind of always worrying about being over weight won out. so, guess im building a truck to make it have some of what the PW does, and probably didnt save any $$ this way--ha.

but the truck kicks butt, wasnt necassarily looking for a Laramie (outfitted really well), but i got an offer i couldnt pass up on it. let you know how it does with the camper when i get it installed in a few short weeks

Mako1114

Adventurer
so an update, i test drove a 15 power wagon laramie, cargo capacity was 1329lb according to the door sticker, my camper is 1245lb dry, before batteries, so easily 1300lbs. then i test drove a 15 2500 6.4l laramie (almost same option list) and the door sticker says 3080lb cargo. as much as i want and love a power wagon, the 2500 laramie came home with me last night. piece of mind of always worrying about being over weight won out. so, guess im building a truck to make it have some of what the PW does, and probably didnt save any $$ this way--ha.

but the truck kicks butt, wasnt necassarily looking for a Laramie (outfitted really well), but i got an offer i couldnt pass up on it. let you know how it does with the camper when i get it installed in a few short weeks

Congrats! Laramie package is sweet and worth it in my opinion if you can swing it!!

Cheers

coguzzi

Adventurer
I got silver, i originally was going to order a truck and hadnt fully picked the color yet. but this one was on the lot, built out more than what i was gonna order, and i got it for less $$. im fine with silver, i was really fine with any color other than black, gets to hot for the doggies.

I will get the camper in soon, need to spray a bedliner since this one does not, and will repost opinions. should do better then the 02 tundra the camper is in now.

then, time to start modding, slowly. real tires after maybe a level kit (see how it sits when camper is in), probably AEV bumper and winch, maybe ARB rear locker. only got 23 miles on it, but 15.8mpg in those miles--ha

Attachments

• IMG_3752.JPG
    IMG_3752.JPG
    507.5 KB · Views: 52

sdecker

Nice truck. The laramies are really nice.

I've been watching this thread for awhile because I had the same dilemma. The power wagon is cool but I ultimately bought a 2500 tradesman for the same reason you did. I went to the dealership to order a barebones 2500 tradesman because it's all I could afford. It was too late in the year to order a 2015, but they had a black barebones tradesman on the lot. Like you, I got a great deal on it. Mine has the cummins not the 6.4 but I'd have been fine with either.

I have 398 miles on it now. City driving mostly. 16.7 mpg according to the computer.

I have plans for mods but no money. I ordered a shell and I'm going with a bed rug. That'll be it for a year or two.

Shawn.

TwinStick

Explorer
Congrats on the pretty new truck. Looks great.
Build it all you want, lol :) but it will never be a PW. :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke