Grand Cherokee VS. Cherokee ?

blaze one

Adventurer
Is there a difference underneath ? or is it just body and interior differences ?
I am in the market to trade my blazer for one , 1999+ , but was wondering if there is really a reason to pay $2000-$5000 more for a GRAND cherokee .

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
the Cherokee (XJ) and the 99+ Grand Cherokee (WJ) do not share parts. With maybe the 4.0L being an exception.

You can however upgrade an XJ using some WJ items...but little is a direct swap.

The 98 and down Grand (ZJ) shares much more in terms of parts.

I have experience with all three of these vehicles, if i were looking for a daily driver it would be a 99+ WJ hands down.

Have fun shopping!

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
If you're interested in overland travel, there is slightly more aftermarket support for the XJ Cherokee platform just because it has been around for so many years, although the WJ Grand Cherokee is still well-suited to the task. :)

Scott Brady

Founder
I would recommend the XJ, just simply because of the years of quality refinement. The ZJ and WJ are considerably more complex vehicles, which means there is more to go wrong. The additional weight also reduces payload and economy.

Just my thoughts.

My 1996 ZJ did not prove very reliable, with a trans change at 54,000 miles. My 93 however, was rock solid up to 100,000 miles, then some little electronics issues.

+ d

Adventurer
I love my Grand (So far :D ).

And while I agree with everything said above, I was in the market for a new vehicle, with all the comforts and good looks that wife's expect! with closet offroad capabilities. The Wj fit the bill for me. That being said I would NOT recommend a '99 or even a '00 Grand. Jeep seems to have had some growing pains with the early models (Check out the density of service bulletins for 99's here). And I would say stick with the 4.0L engine, it has proven reliability and is much more hands-on friendly.

The Cherokee's are, as mentioned, much simpler vehicles with greater aftermarket support no doubt. And perhaps would be an equivalent vehicle "type" to your Blazer...but with much more potential!

LiNdsAy

+d,

I have a 99 and would like to see a picture of yours for some ideas you have the same amount of lift I was thinking of going with... sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Last edited:

+ d

Adventurer
Hey Lindsay,
Welcome to the forum!

Nice to have another WJ around. No sure if you've seen my mod thread in this sub forum but I just added some pics to the original post. Hope they help! 2.5-3" is a great place start with a lift, going higher requires a bit more $. Let me know if you've got any questions. Be sure to start your own thread and show your progress!

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
David's WJ is really nice. I've been impressed with it's off road ability.

It will be harder to find a nice Cherokee, but they were still selling them new in 02, right next to the Liberty.

This is why the Liberty isn't called the Cherokee in the US, but overseas the Liberty is known as the Cherokee. They couldn't see selling two different vehicles with the same name...

The 4.7 V8 is a good motor for the WJ also.

I'd say personal preferance. Drive both and see what fits your budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94