Zambia has returned to hunting of leopards and lions

luangwablondes

Adventurer
Will you voice your opposition to this and sign the petition? There maybe a day many of you want to do a self drive camping or fly-in safari through the parks of Southern Africa, and there will not be much wildlife to experience unless we fight the battles now.

Davev1954

Supporting Grouch
I support the legal and controlled hunting of African game. The countries where hunting has been banned have seen their animals suffer greatly (Kenya...) while others that allow and monitor hunting have seen great comebacks. I have seen it in person.

luangwablondes

Adventurer
I support the legal and controlled hunting of African game.

The problem in Zambia, wildlife numbers are not huge. Hunting permits seem to be determined more on the income it will bring in than sustainability of each species. And many of the hunting operations try to maximize income, often disrupting each pride of lions which has a domino effect that leads to elimination of the current generation of cubs, and delaying the next.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
The problem in Zambia, wildlife numbers are not huge. Hunting permits seem to be determined more on the income it will bring in than sustainability of each species. And many of the hunting operations try to maximize income, often disrupting each pride of lions which has a domino effect that leads to elimination of the current generation of cubs, and delaying the next.

True...Liuwa Plains in Western Zambia for instance is in dire need of lions...instead of hunting the lions why not bag them and take them to Liuwa? I know there is a lot more to just that but is hunting the answer when lions in that part of Zambia have been eradicated....I was getting ready to go to Zambia in 2016 for a safari but may reconsider at this time...

luangwablondes

Adventurer
I must confess, I do have kinda of a hidden agenda. Along with a few other people, we were in the process of bringing online a conservation project this year. Included was a proven, high tech solution to poaching. With the actions of the Zambian government, most likely it will go to another country that will get onboard and participate. And I have plans to include some remote campsites for the self drive, guided bushwalks, and mobile bush camping, all that would have been more affordable than what is currently offered. And in a game rich area.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I must confess, I do have kinda of a hidden agenda. Along with a few other people, we were in the process of bringing online a conservation project this year. Included was a proven, high tech solution to poaching. With the actions of the Zambian government, most likely it will go to another country that will get onboard and participate. And I have plans to include some remote campsites for the self drive, guided bushwalks, and mobile bush camping, all that would have been more affordable than what is currently offered. And in a game rich area.

Nice...keep me posted on where you end up...will probably be doing a self drive in the next couple of years.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Good to hear. I think Zambia will make more money from live animals in the long run than dead ones. I lived in Mwami from 1980 to 1983 and loved going to the Luangwa game park as a kid. How are things going over there now?

luangwablondes

Adventurer
At this point, all the petitions have done is put them on notice. Maybe a couple (GMA's)concessions might be taken "off the list" if the wildlife are lucky. Otherwise, come out for a self drive while there are plenty of predators to see. Self drive or not. Camping, bushwalking and game drives. If you go for this type of thing, Bear Grylls has started a one day and 5 day survival courses at Vic Falls. Thrown in a canoe trip and you will have the vacation of a lifetime. The hard part for Americans is usually making the time, and once you do, it will make you wonder why it took so long "to pull the trigger", go on safari, and "shoot"-photograph- a lot of wildlife.

MOguy

Explorer
Selling permits for controlled trophy hunting is very beneficial. The community makes money of this and then hopefully works against poachers. Trophy animals will usually be the larger males. They will be older and maybe physically more powerful but they don't make babies like the younger males. Ridding these herds of the larger older and less protective trophy males can do allot to benefit and increase numbers.

luangwablondes

Adventurer
If only the Zambian government issued permits based on good conservation techniques. Zambia and many(most?)hunting operators are more concerned about the short term financial benefits. I'm not a tree hugger and have nothing against hunting if it has conservation in mind. The government does not issue permits based on good science, and I am told that most hunting operators take the best lions for their clients, regardless of what this may do to disrupt the male lion's pride. And yes, there are operators that do take more than is permitted. I have seen that 1st hand. The hunting concessions are licenced for only 5 years. That said, the operators are known to maximize profits during that term.

MOguy

Explorer
If only the Zambian government issued permits based on good conservation techniques. Zambia and many(most?)hunting operators are more concerned about the short term financial benefits. I'm not a tree hugger and have nothing against hunting if it has conservation in mind. The government does not issue permits based on good science, and I am told that most hunting operators take the best lions for their clients, regardless of what this may do to disrupt the male lion's pride. And yes, there are operators that do take more than is permitted. I have seen that 1st hand. The hunting concessions are licenced for only 5 years. That said, the operators are known to maximize profits during that term.

Thats too bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste