Dual batteries for a RRC

James86004

Expedition Leader
After flattening the battery in my wife's RRC with our fridge on the beach in Mexico, we decided we really need a house battery. The obvious place to put it is in the left front corner, so I have relocated the power steering reservoir and the cruise control pump. The only issue is the air cleaner horn. It sits a little less than 6 inches above the bottom of the battery box, and a group 34 battery is 7.9 inches high. Every photo I have found shows this problem solved by adding a snorkel, but I have yet to convince my wife on this. I don't think I can raise the whole assembly without fouling the hood. So that leaves cutting the horn off, removing the whole horn assembly, or cutting the horn off and reconnecting it with some flexible tubing.

Any thoughts?

tacr2man

Adventurer
unless you intend wading or operating following other vehicles in a very dusty environment a snorkle is not needed, as suggested just trim the horn back , it has very minimal function .

James86004

Expedition Leader
Someone back on the old CSO list tested the airflow with and without the horn, and found the horn had a beneficial effect. However, I think it is time for me to do my own test so I just cut it off. I'll see what happens when I pull of the freeway tomorrow.

James86004

Expedition Leader
I will post pics as soon as I finish. I cut the horn off. It doesn't seem to affect power much, but it does make a whistling noise at 2000-2500 rpm. It is almost annoying from the right front seat, much less so from the left front. I bought a Blue Sea fuse box which attaches directly to the + post of the battery, so as soon as that comes in it will be finished. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SE6Z2XM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The house battery will be powering 8 USB ports, the refrigerator, the tracking device, and the alarm system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94