Potential 110 HI-CAP purchase questions.

tplane2

What's up guys. New to the LR world and tried searching to no avail so I apologize for the newb questions.

Just looking for a little info not available via google regarding the HI-CAP in the US.
One popped up in my area for sale and just curious if the price is right for what it is.

1984 HI-CAP. Clean titled and registered in the US. Body seems to be pretty straight and pretty rust free, 140k miles and a "new" 300 tdi.
Daily Driver for the owner. Looks stock minus tires.

Asking 17,500. Is this fair? I couldn't find many available in the US so I'm curious how many are actually here?

Thanks for any help yall can provide!

The Yak

Observer
Hello tplane2.

As I am in the UK I cannot comment on the price over there. However, just a couple of thoughts...

Also, I do not know how your paperwork works but I would assume there are similarities. In the UK the new engine number must be advised to the authorities and a new V5 Vehicle Registration Certificate issued. Does your term 'clean titled' cover that? A reasonable assumption would be that the 110 was exported with the engine already fitted, in which case the paperwork is likely to be correct to have passed inspection.

The 'new' engine may well have come out of a scrapped rusty Discovery. The 110 will probably still have the original LT85 or LT77 gearbox. This should not be a problem. The Tdi engines were only factory fitted to the newer R380 gearboxes but many Tdi's have been reto-fitted to the older gearboxes with no problems.

Sorry I cannot answer your direct questions, but I hope this helps!

Regards.

LR Max

Local Oaf
If it is in as good of shape as said, then that is a pretty good price.

Go look at it. Look for shotty wiring and rust.

Elbee

Adventurer
17500$ Seems like a great price for a 110 Hicap. Is it RHD or LHD?
300TDI is awesome and yes it probably has a r380 gear box of some sort. Try to get info on when the conversion was done from a 2.5N/A. The 300tdi might be from a discovery or a defender.
Im sure there was a host of other issues taken care of during the engine swap, try to see what was done.

Some things to look for are; when and where it was imported from. What is the ViN and decode it. Look at the chassis closely and make sure they are not trying to cover any big rust issues up with waxoil. Inspect rear crossmember, that can be somewhat expensive to replace if rust has eaten through it.

Rust issues can be big:
Foot wells bottom and top
Bulkhead: Top along the windshield and hinges are good areas to look
Doors, bottom side of the doors will show how rotten they are. The doors are steel while the body is aluminum.

a link or photos would definitely help

What State will you be registering the vehicle in? Some locations are Very Difficult to get diesel LRs registered.

Have a look over on DefenderSource and ask there too.

Roverchef

Adventurer
A hi-cap @ that price won't last long if its what you say it is. Pic's always help in terms of helping you if that makes sense. LHD with an actual Defender 300TDI is worh alot more then the asking price but even if it's a RHD and the parts were snagged out of a Disco it's still a good price as long as the conversion is correct. Buy it…what could go wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior