Is a 4Runner for me?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
tmp_26425-20150522_1753061006951763.jpgBG - the Subaru Outback easily fits two dogs. Are we talking just you and some gear and dogs? Or you + other folks and dogs and gear etc?

Packed for eight transporting 4 . 190 mile round trip 23mpg tank average from this weekend. California Coast Point Reyes. Took some newbie campers camping hence the packed for 8 transporting 4 aspect.

Last edited:

98roamer

Explorer
The Outback in surprisingly roomy. Edmunds.com compare the interior demisions, both 2015 models. Of course, any duties truck related, the 4Runner will win.

4runner
Interior Measurements
FRONT HEAD ROOM 38.6 in. FRONT HIP ROOM 56.5 in.
FRONT LEG ROOM 41.7 in. FRONT SHOULDER ROOM 57.8 in.
REAR HIP ROOM 55.7 in. REAR HEAD ROOM 38.6 in.
REAR LEG ROOM 32.9 in. REAR SHOULDER ROOM 57.8 in.
MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY 88.8 cu.ft.

Outback
Interior Measurements
FRONT HEAD ROOM 40.8 in. FRONT HIP ROOM 55.5 in.
FRONT LEG ROOM 42.9 in. FRONT SHOULDER ROOM 58.1 in.
REAR HIP ROOM 55.0 in. REAR HEAD ROOM 38.9 in.
REAR LEG ROOM 38.1 in. REAR SHOULDER ROOM 57.3 in.
MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY 73.3 cu.ft.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
The 4Runner was too cramped for me, but I'm a big guy with a long torso. Head room and shoulder room were my main complaints. Somewhat surprisingly, the closely related FJ Cruiser was a lot more comfortable for me, though not so much for my back seat passengers.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As a side note several buddies ended up buying 2010 and newer Outbacks because the new design fit them. Talking over 6ft tall big guys who were excited to finally find a car that fit them well. The seating space in the 2010 and newer Outbacks is Dramatically improved over the old generation cars 09 and older.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The 4Runner was too cramped for me, but I'm a big guy with a long torso. Head room and shoulder room were my main complaints. Somewhat surprisingly, the closely related FJ Cruiser was a lot more comfortable for me, though not so much for my back seat passengers.

Interesting. I'm 6'4 230 pounds and I fit fine in my 4Runner.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

wild1

Adventurer
4-runner

I just sold my 2006 LJ Rubicon and my 2012 Subaru Impreza and got a 2015 4-Runner Trail. It has the kdss option and I paid the no haggle price of 36,000. I have been a averaging 17 to 18 with 20 to 21 on the hi way. This is shaping up to be the best car we have owned. Having owned a few Subaru's I always found my self worrying about what was around the next corner. The Trail gives me all the capability of my Rubicon and a much nicer drive then any Subaru I have driven.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Wife and i are 62. We have a 2003 Sequoia (bought new) and a 2014 Accord LX 4 door. Used to have a 2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon, before the Honda. The Sequoia is wife's. She went from a E-350 Econoline, to a new Beetle, to a Highlander (bypassing the 4 runner after looking/test driving as too cramped), then to the Sequoia. Have kepth the Sequoia 12 years, and still going well.
I got the Honda, as 35 miles one way on Urban interstate was too hard on me and the Jeep. The LJ was better than the prior TJ, but still too hard. I thought I wanted a 14 Subaru, but the reputation for oil consumption and irregular reliability put me in the Honda. It even has a 1 as the first digit in the VIN. On icy or snowye work days, i take the Sequoia or carpool in an Audi Quattro.
The Golden Retriever likes the Sequoia far better than either Jeep or the Honda, but now needs a ramp to get in/out. We can have two grand-daughter car seats in the middle seat row, an ARB fridge, Dog ramp, a Golden, beach/outing stuff in the rear area (with 3rd row seats out) and still have room for pillows, games, and more. When really hauling stuff either a 5X8 cargo trailer or a roof box makes more room. Fuel mileage will be 17 to 20 on interstate at 65 or so. The 26 gallon fuel tank seems like the correct size, about 400 miles with no worries. We used to tow a 5500 pound travel trailer long distances with the Sequoia. We also towed the LJ Jeep on a uhaul trailer thru the Tennessee and Georgia hills to Florida for a contract job. No troubles
I do like the 2003 center diff choices - 2wd, AWD, 4WD hi and 4WD lo range. We can actually get AWDlo range, too. We had thought of geting a newer Sequoia, but decided to keep the 2003 due to its fantastic reliability. I'm a little disappointed as the outside handle for the tailgate broke a month ago, and i've had to change the oil, brake pads, tires, and a battery (said tongue in cheek).
We still go looking for off roading , think Shoe Creek Trail, forest roads, and outer banks beaches, now that we live in Virginia. The dog is getting tired of the beach. So, look at a sequoia, too. I do not see much fuel mileage difference to a 4runner, Sequoia has more power, and more capacity.

Last edited:

BlackdogGS

Observer
I just sold my 2006 LJ Rubicon and my 2012 Subaru Impreza and got a 2015 4-Runner Trail. It has the kdss option and I paid the no haggle price of 36,000. I have been a averaging 17 to 18 with 20 to 21 on the hi way. This is shaping up to be the best car we have owned. Having owned a few Subaru's I always found my self worrying about what was around the next corner. The Trail gives me all the capability of my Rubicon and a much nicer drive then any Subaru I have driven.

I think a price of $36,000 would be enough to make me buy now. All the Trails I've seen are $40,000-up.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Wife and i are 62. We have a 2003 Sequoia (bought new) and a 2014 Accord LX 4 door. Used to have a 2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon, before the Honda. The Sequoia is wife's. She went from a E-350 Econoline, to a new Beetle, to a Highlander (bypassing the 4 runner after looking/test driving as too cramped), then to the Sequoia. Have kepth the Sequoia 12 years, and still going well.
I got the Honda, as 35 miles one way on Urban interstate was too hard on me and the Jeep. The LJ was better than the prior TJ, but still too hard. I thought I wanted a 14 Subaru, but the reputation for oil consumption and irregular reliability put me in the Honda. It even has a 1 as the first digit in the VIN. On icy or snowye work days, i take the Sequoia or carpool in an Audi Quattro.
The Golden Retriever likes the Sequoia far better than either Jeep or the Honda, but now needs a ramp to get in/out. We can have two grand-daughter car seats in the middle seat row, an ARB fridge, Dog ramp, a Golden, beach/outing stuff in the rear area (with 3rd row seats out) and still have room for pillows, games, and more. When really hauling stuff either a 5X8 cargo trailer or a roof box makes more room. Fuel mileage will be 17 to 20 on interstate at 65 or so. The 26 gallon fuel tank seems like the correct size, about 400 miles with no worries. We used to tow a 5500 pound travel trailer long distances with the Sequoia. We also towed the LJ Jeep on a uhaul trailer thru the Tennessee and Georgia hills to Florida for a contract job. No troubles
I do like the 2003 center diff choices - 2wd, AWD, 4WD hi and 4WD lo range. We can actually get AWDlo range, too. We had thought of geting a newer Sequoia, but decided to keep the 2003 due to its fantastic reliability. I'm a little disappointed as the outside handle for the tailgate broke a month ago, and i've had to change the oil, brake pads, tires, and a battery (said tongue in cheek).
We still go looking for off roading , think Shoe Creek Trail, forest roads, and outer banks beaches, now that we live in Virginia. The dog is getting tired of the beach. So, look at a sequoia, too. I do not see much fuel mileage difference to a 4runner, Sequoia has more power, and more capacity.

Ordered a new handle for ours last summer. Took me about an hour to replace it useing a youtube video. Ours is a 2007. We'll have it a long time. I agree after having the Land cruiser and now the sequoia I have zero interest in the 4runner.

wild1

Adventurer
4-Runner Trail

We bought ours in March at Ressler Toyota in Bozeman Montana,they had several Trails at that price and a couple of Trail premiums for 1200.00 or so more.

BlackdogGS

Observer
We bought ours in March at Ressler Toyota in Bozeman Montana,they had several Trails at that price and a couple of Trail premiums for 1200.00 or so more.

I'll call them. 3 years ago my wife wanted a Ford Transit Connect. We ended up driving to Bozeman to get it and saved about $3,000. We got our BMW 1200GS from Sandy Utah, saved about $3,000 there also. Thanks for the info!

MAD Duo

Observer
I just got the 2015 4Runner TEP and so far am enjoying it extremely well. Makes me giddy anytime I drive it and I find myself going out into the garage several times a night just to look at it and grin ear to ear. Only light 2 lane highway with some good climbs and I get 16-17.7 MPG. Have not had it on flat open interstate yet.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Interesting. I'm 6'4 230 pounds and I fit fine in my 4Runner.
Yeah, I've heard that before from others. Maybe if I found one without a sunroof I would be OK, but I have ridden in my coworker's 2014 4Runner and my head was very close to the ceiling. With my long torso I am probably taller than you in the seated position.

BlackdogGS

Observer
For those that have the Subaru and 4Runner. Does the rear side and back windows open? I'm thinking about proper ventilation for the dogs. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior