Is a 4Runner for me?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
For those that have the Subaru and 4Runner. Does the rear side and back windows open? I'm thinking about proper ventilation for the dogs. Thanks.

On the 4Runner the hatchback window opens. None of the rear windows open on the Subaru. At least the forester I had.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Is it an electric sliding window? Can it be left partially open?

It's electric. On mine, not sure the new 4runners, it's auto up and down. If you use the key to open it it can be left partially open.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For those that have the Subaru and 4Runner. Does the rear side and back windows open? I'm thinking about proper ventilation for the dogs. Thanks.

The OB has a passive rear vent part of the AC / Heat system. Rear windows do not open. Sun Roof vent and Cracked windows in cool temps works just fine.

sn_85

Observer
Own a 2013 4Runner Limited here. Honestly, it sounds like with your intended use an SR5 4x4 would be just fine. Even though it's not a Trail Edition once you put some new AT's on it, it's still plenty capable. You could probably get an SR5 Premium (has softex heated seats, sunroof, side blinkers, nav, etc) 4x4 for about $35k and the SR5 Non-premium for $33k. For my money I would probably get the Premium version though as I like having a sunroof. It's not a rock crawler by any means and wouldn't compare to Rubicon but it would be much more comfortable in long road trips, better pavement manners, and have more interior refinements than a Rubicon. As well you could build it up as much as you want to your liking. The benefit of having the Trail version is the rear locker, crawl control, and optional KDSS. If I could buy again, I'd probably just get an SR5 Premium 4x4 and with the cash saved put it towards mods.

The side cargo windows do not roll or open but the lift gate window rolls down electronically with a switch near the shifter. It can be left partially open or fully open to your desire.

As a previous 2007 Tacoma DCSB Pre-runner owner, I can say I really love driving the 4Runner and for my use it's an upgrade in every facet. I think you'd be happy in one too.

Last edited:

Stifler

Observer
It's electric. On mine, not sure the new 4runners, it's auto up and down. If you use the key to open it it can be left partially open.
you can roll i up down or partial.... I had a 2011 4runner and loved it. Traded it for a 2015 Jeep and traded 2 months later for a 2015 SR5. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Its at the shop being lifted and getting real tires on it right now

MOguy

Explorer
I can't comment on the Subaru but have both a jeep Wrangler and a Toyota 4Runner.

I get 20-24 mpg usually in the 4Runner and about 14 in the Jeep. My 4Runner is stock (2004) and my Wrangler (2001) is not.

The 4Runner has ALLOT of glass and sheet metal to get bent and broke compared to the Wrangler. The 4Runner body sticks out everywhere and is just begging to take a beating if you are in tighter areas.

If you want a more off-road capable and buildable platform go with the Wrangler, and you can take the top off. The wrangler is also far more maneuverable in tight spaces. If none of that is an issue go with the 4Runner over the two. It gets far better gas mileage, more comfortable and more room. But the Jeep wrangler does have an extra "coolness" that the 4Runner doesn't.

A mild lift and some slightly larger tires and the 4Runner will be pretty capable off road if you are doing more than just simple off road trails. Even stock it can get you out and about.

Dalko43

Explorer
I can't comment on the Subaru but have both a jeep Wrangler and a Toyota 4Runner.

I get 20-24 mpg usually in the 4Runner and about 14 in the Jeep. My 4Runner is stock (2004) and my Wrangler (2001) is not.

The 4Runner has ALLOT of glass and sheet metal to get bent and broke compared to the Wrangler. The 4Runner body sticks out everywhere and is just begging to take a beating if you are in tighter areas.

If you want a more off-road capable and buildable platform go with the Wrangler, and you can take the top off. The wrangler is also far more maneuverable in tight spaces. If none of that is an issue go with the 4Runner over the two. It gets far better gas mileage, more comfortable and more room. But the Jeep wrangler does have an extra "coolness" that the 4Runner doesn't.

A mild lift and some slightly larger tires and the 4Runner will be pretty capable off road if you are doing more than just simple off road trails. Even stock it can get you out and about.

The Jeep is a better rock crawler than the 4Runner. The 4Runner is a better vehicle for long-range travel. I think most would agree with that.

Most everything else you said is open to debate. The Jeep is cooler than the 4Runner? Alright, well many would disagree with that, as its a highly subjective statement.

The Jeep is more buildable (not a word) than the 4Runner? Not really, the 4Runner has very extensive aftermarket support that rivals that of the Jeep.

The Jeep also has sheet metal and glass that can be ruined on hard terrain...perhaps the only difference between the 2 is that jeeps have removable doors and rooftops to minimize exposed materials.

Also, I don't remember the OP asking about the Jeep...rather he was asking about whether the 4Runner was a suitable vehicle for his needs.

MOguy

Explorer
The Jeep is a better rock crawler than the 4Runner. The 4Runner is a better vehicle for long-range travel. I think most would agree with that.

Most everything else you said is open to debate. The Jeep is cooler than the 4Runner? Alright, well many would disagree with that, as its a highly subjective statement.

The Jeep is more buildable (not a word) than the 4Runner? Not really, the 4Runner has very extensive aftermarket support that rivals that of the Jeep.

The Jeep also has sheet metal and glass that can be ruined on hard terrain...perhaps the only difference between the 2 is that jeeps have removable doors and rooftops to minimize exposed materials.

Also, I don't remember the OP asking about the Jeep...rather he was asking about whether the 4Runner was a suitable vehicle for his needs.

Cooler, a convertible versus an SUV. Trust me I love my 4Runner, it's a great vehicle but is about as exciting as my couch. It is much easier to modify a Jeep Wrangler than a 4Runner. I can lift my jeep with 4 spacers (or springs), 4 shocks, a friend a few tools and a tape measure to realign it, not so easy with a 4Runner. I have laid my jeep over on both sides on a few occasions and simply been able to turn the wheel one direction or the other and drive it back up fight with no body damage and only one time a broken window, always with the top on. Can't do that in a 4Runner without more damage. The Wrangler is more agile and fits between thing better
Re read from the beginning and you will see he asked about the Jeep. from the first post "I feel the Jeep Rubicon or the 4Runner Trail would be about right."

I am not trying to get in a pissing match just stating the differences I have seen with two of the vehicles the OP had questions about.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Cooler, a convertible versus an SUV. Trust me I love my 4Runner, it’s a great vehicle but is about as exciting as my couch. It is much easier to modify a Jeep Wrangler than a 4Runner. I can lift my jeep with 4 spacers (or springs), 4 shocks, a friend a few tools and a tape measure to realign it, not so easy with a 4Runner. I have laid my jeep over on both sides on a few occasions and simply been able to turn the wheel one direction or the other and drive it back up fight with no body damage and only one time a broken window, always with the top on. Can't do that in a 4Runner without more damage. The Wrangler is more agile and fits between thing better
Re read from the beginning and you will see he asked about the Jeep. from the first post "I feel the Jeep Rubicon or the 4Runner Trail would be about right."

I am not trying to get in a pissing match just stating the differences I have seen with two of the vehicles the OP had questions about.

You can lift a 4Runner with just spacers. And as said before. That's all your opinion. I love driving my 4Runner and is far more exciting to drive than my couch.

MOguy

Explorer
You can lift a 4Runner with just spacers. And as said before. That's all your opinion. I love driving my 4Runner and is far more exciting to drive than my couch.

Of course it is all opinion. You just don't have the right couch.
motorized-couch1-640x533.jpg

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Of course it is all opinion. You just don't have the right couch.
motorized-couch1-640x533.jpg

True. :)

MOguy

Explorer
True. :)

How can you lift the front of a 4Runner with spacers?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
How can you lift the front of a 4Runner with spacers?

Well here's one

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/2003...lrfj4ru.html?gclid=CNuev_7M58UCFQeUfgodbY0Auw

calicamper

Expedition Leader

We can lift our OB with just spacers too. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior