What would you want in the perfect mapping app?

Bob95065

Before I put my $0.02 in I want to explain what I do and what I am using currently:

I go on 4x4 trips out in the deserts of California and Nevada, although I have a trip planned to Utah later this summer. I go on 5 day trips 4+ times per year with a group of friends. We explore the desert, abandoned mines and ghost towns.

I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy A 9” tablet that I mount on a bracket I made for my truck. I am using Backcountry Navigator Pro.

This is what I would like in a mobile GPS app:

1. Unlimited map storage. BCN limits the size of cached map files. Rather than have areas saved I would like to put the entire state of California and Nevada in a map file I can access when out in the middle of nowhere. Because we go to remote places a cloud based solution won't work for me. Besides that my tablet is only Wi-Fi enabled.

2. Track recording: It isn't clear in BCN how I can record a track over three days. I've paused track recording when I stop to camp for the night then resumed in the morning. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't.

3. Ability to choose what gets exported: I would like to choose what I export rather than the way BCN works now which is all waypoints get exported. I would like to take only waypoints that are associated with a track when I export. The ability to choose would be nice.

I went from a Magellan SporTrak from about 2003 to the tablet a year ago. Overall I am very satisfied with BCN but there are these things I would change. To give BCN some credit I am able to navigate better than I ever could in the past and I am now the group navigator as a result. Also they developed an app that serves users of varying activities. Hikers, bikers, and even 4x4 explorers. Really it isn't bad and for $12 it's great.

Bob

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Have a look at the Hema Explorer app. I've worked with them to ensure we have the functions you need, and since you're on android you should be able to move your storage to an SD card which means you can store up to 128gb of maps for offline use.
With the app you can choose an area to download (even an entire state - but be careful with zoom levels). Here's a layers demo video:
http://hema.li/mlvid

You can stop/start recording, add photos & waypoints, and notes to each track with 1 click. We usually record 1 track per day, then organize all the tracks & waypoints for that trip into a trip folder. Here are the trips we did for the CDR Expedition:
http://hema.li/cdr1
http://hema.li/cdr2
http://hema.li/cdr3
http://hema.li/cdr4
http://hema.li/cdr5

When you sync to the cloud once your tablet is online, everything is backed up. If you have TONS of photos it will take a while, but it'll all be in the Hema Cloud (http://hema.li/cloud) for you. From there you can export to GPX or KML, then do whatever you want with the tracks & waypoints =)

Hope this helps!
Shane

Before I put my $0.02 in I want to explain what I do and what I am using currently:

I go on 4x4 trips out in the deserts of California and Nevada, although I have a trip planned to Utah later this summer. I go on 5 day trips 4+ times per year with a group of friends. We explore the desert, abandoned mines and ghost towns.

I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy A 9” tablet that I mount on a bracket I made for my truck. I am using Backcountry Navigator Pro.

1. Unlimited map storage. BCN limits the size of cached map files. Rather than have areas saved I would like to put the entire state of California and Nevada in a map file I can access when out in the middle of nowhere. Because we go to remote places a cloud based solution won't work for me. Besides that my tablet is only Wi-Fi enabled.

2. Track recording: It isn't clear in BCN how I can record a track over three days. I've paused track recording when I stop to camp for the night then resumed in the morning. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't.

3. Ability to choose what gets exported: I would like to choose what I export rather than the way BCN works now which is all waypoints get exported. I would like to take only waypoints that are associated with a track when I export. The ability to choose would be nice.

I went from a Magellan SporTrak from about 2003 to the tablet a year ago. Overall I am very satisfied with BCN but there are these things I would change. To give BCN some credit I am able to navigate better than I ever could in the past and I am now the group navigator as a result. Also they developed an app that serves users of varying activities. Hikers, bikers, and even 4x4 explorers. Really it isn't bad and for $12 it's great.

Bob

Bob95065

I'll look into Hema. I have some questions:

1. What are the map sources? One of the positives to BCN are the maps. I like the Arc GIS maps
2. What does Hema cost?

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
The current layers include HERE Terrain/Sat/Street, USGS (new topo), USGS 7.5 (old topo), Thunderforest Outdoor, Canada Street, Canada Topo.
We're working on new layers now =)

It's $19.99 USD. One time.

I'll look into Hema. I have some questions:

1. What are the map sources? One of the positives to BCN are the maps. I like the Arc GIS maps
2. What does Hema cost?

1Louder

Explorer

Bob

Take a look at GAIA GPS. There are more map layers available than Hema. A new version is being released very soon for iOS with Android to follow . You might wait to buy something until the new release comes out. Neither Gaia or Hema should limit your ability to download maps. If you have the storage capacity you should be able to download whatever you want. You can pick and choose what to export. Shane and I can go back and forth as to which is better. :) MVUM Map layer is being worked on for Gaia. I don't know a release date though. BCN was the first major player to do so.

TscotR214

No mention of Open Andro maps with the Elevate theme for BCN? While not super crazy for detail, I have every state West of the Mississippi loaded on my Android cell phone at all times. I greatly appreciate being able to load entire States at a time, but it does come at the expense of detail. Wish list: I'll take double the file size per State if a touch more detailed (include smaller roads for example).

PabloM

Great idea Shane. I'll try to be clear on what has been useful to me in the past and what app gave a satisfactory experience. Here is my list:

Best app functions or features
Online mapping Motion X
Offline mapping Motion X
Measure tool Motion X
Area Tool Gaia GPS
Import from DropBox or mail function MotionX
Waypoints and track export tool into a zip file not found yet by me in an app.
Route creation in mobile app Gaia GPS
App online tool for data backup and ability to work with Gaia GPS
Battery consumption efficiency MotionX
Cache maps Motion X
Data Sync in all devices Gaia GPS
Auto live updates Motion X
Track recording Motion X
Folder sharing Gaia GPS
Turning off GPS signal for working and saving battery Motion X
Online data sharing for others to see Gaia GPS

Not found in Mobile Apps as far as I know:
Map Calibration and creation from a simple image Desktop app in PC called Ozieplorer
Compass sighting using camera to fix a direction based in an object at distance. Like using a Mirror compass.
Compass auto declination tool.
Social media Check in
Ability to manually correct track points and merge tracks due to signal failure
Auto pause and GPS turning off during track record until gyroscope detects movement and locks good GPS signal. This would be great for in car iPad fixed mounted.
Emergency UHF, VHF, websites, email and telephone numbers data base auto loading depending on the visiting area. Optional 4x4 clubs that sing in their club for friendly support.

Not the very best features
Bulk email export feature Crashes email server if number is high on files. MotionX
After importing Waypoints and tracks individual folders are created for every one of the GPX files. No use for this. All should be dropped in a single folder as imported and the can be manually assigned to the correct folder where user wants them Gaia GPS
No ability to work with GPS off for battery saving Gaia GPS

Cost for me would me great if I could individually check what I want to use kind like a cost per feature and a Pro price with all included. Since I'm in Mexico I believe no use for paid maps are good based in availability. Monthly I'm happy with a 5-10 USD pricing or a 30 USD for all just once charge.

Last edited:

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for that great detail! I've added some of your suggestions to our wish list =)

I'll also work on some tutorial videos showing how to do some of the things you've mentioned in the Hema Explorer app.

Pre loaded availability of large areas at inexpensive prices. For example all national forests all nation parks on for say each state on an SD chip that you could purchase

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Haven't read the thread so apologies if this was already mentioned:

A proper, user-friendly way of planning routes and transferring them to the device. I want to have a quality map in front of me, to pick a starting point for that route, then click on the map and have a route set to that second point. Then click on a third point and have the route continue there. No limits on the numbers of points along a route. When done, I want that synchronized to the device without manual exports/transfer/imports of files.

Being able to "draw" a route overtop of roads/trails (on the desktop/web interface) and have the app remember and guide me along the nearest/parallel road would be another great option.

Those are very good ideas. I actually just created a video showing how to plan a route in the Hema Explorer Cloud (http://hema.li/cloud), then sync it to your device. It hasn't been published yet but should be soon =)

Getting 'turn-by-turn' for off-highway roads is exceedingly difficult for any app, but would certainly be a great feature! =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles