XR650R adventure commuter

johanso

Adventurer
Hardcore or just dumb... Time will tell. So far it hasn't been colder than -3 celcius/ 26 F so we'll see if it's possible to ride even when the real cold comes. I cut my commuting time in half on the bike compared to the car so it's encouraging to keep going. Hate the feeling of wasting my life on being stucked in traffic...

johanso

Adventurer
The studded TKC80 works very well and the grip on slippery roads feels good. Knowing how much the XR likes to eat rear tires I've been pampering the throttle to not loose all the studs right away.

I've also installed the RallyRaid fairing. Look wise it can be debated whether it's an improvement or not but it seems to give a bit of protection from the wind.
DSC_0185.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0185.jpg
    DSC_0185.jpg
    576.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

johanso

Adventurer
Sold this bike a week ago. Amazing the following this bike has. I sold it for the asked price less than 8 hours after I published the advert. Sure going to miss it and the massive power but for the everyday riding it was a bit too loud and uncivilized.

To replace it I bought a 2009 XT660Z Tenere. Compared to the XR it feels like riding a really comfy, modern car. But also way heavier and very gutless. I'm going to do some mods to hopefully tweak out few more ponies and shave of a some weight. So far I'm really happy with it. Yesterday I made a few turns on gravel and the size and weight didn't feel like a problem. Slightly top heavy but overall OK.

So far it's been modded with Oxford grip heaters, some extra lights, bigger pegs, bar riser and a bigger windscreen.

I've already ordered a 2 to 1 slip on exhaust that supposedly cuts of 5,5kg compared to the standars exhaust.
IMG_0074.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles