2006 Mega-Purpose Rig

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
ZJARCHER thats why I am going the bed cage sorta like the picture. I still need to be able to use my bed and for when I hit the trails something I can put in the truck to carry the tires and still have room for the camping gear.

Tried to find stuff on DTX (ACCummins) but bed cages and tire carriers are a tight guarded secret over there lol.

silvrcummns

Nice rig. If you're going for a full on bed cage then shock placement on the axle probably won't be your limiting factor. I'm assuming your atlas springs have enough travel to warrant some big bad bypass shocks correct? Lots of ideas out there for tire carriers. Found lots of different ones for ford raptors and I think a guy on cumminsforum had one built years ago. Went by the screen name ban89 I think. Keep us posted on your build!

Thank you for your service, stay safe out there.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
I am going to run the Carli long travel (LT) leafs with their shackles and I will be going with 3.0 18" stroke shocks. The shocks are 28" Compressed length and 46" Extended length, not sure if I will get the remote reservoir or the piggyback reservoir. I can get great deals on ADS and Fox shocks, not so much with King shocks. I just need to figure out where to mount the axle side of the shocks, everything I been finding guys are using the leaf plate to mount them. That location yields more axle wrap however, I already have a set of LT traction bars so I dont have to worry about axle wrap.

Yeah the Raptor guys get all the cool toy lol. I have seen a couple raptor tire carriers that I really like and I think I will fab one up from their design. The biggest thing about the tire carrier is that it is removable so I can still have a bed when I am not out exploring or wheeling.

I leave sometime this month for my 9th deployment and will be ordering parts as I am deployed. Should have a nice pile of parts to come home to in December time frame, wife wont be happy but oh well lol.

ramsport59

Observer
Hey Danny, I was wondering why these pics look familiar to some that were just emailed to me!

I don't see a need to a 18" travel shock on the east coast. What can you run to keep it less intrusive into the bed?

Rick

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Rick,

Lol yeah I am on a couple forums.

The longer travel will help in the rocks as well. With 12" stroke shocks the LT leafs are 15" droop and with the 18" stroke shocks it will be around 20" of drop. What sucks is the longest stroke you can put on these trucks is 12" without cutting into the bed.

ramsport59

Observer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but angling the shocks will allow a longer shock. example, but 1st gen dodge rear shocks were dang near straight up an down in the rear. I angled them in at the top and went from 10" to 14" travel shocks. They are postioned like a 2nd or 3rd gen. Wide at the bottom of the leafs, tight to each other in the middle of the bed.

Rick

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
From everything I have read and been told you can only put the shocks in front of the axle or on top of the leafs plate. The most that is recommended is 30* forward, not sure what angle the passenger side shock is in the stock location. I want to say its already at 30* but I am not 100% sure. I need to go buy an angle finder and find out, if I can angle it even more I might be able to get a way with a 14" stroke. Anything over that I will need to go into the bed, a 16" stroke is 42" over all extended length and a 18" stroke is 46" over all extended length.

I am still researching all this out and I have 6 months to do a lot of reading lol.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
So walked out this morning to go to work and started the truck and then it up and died. I am getting a "no bus" signal and my truck wont start. Everything I have read says the cluster is not talking to the ECM/PCM. So I need to replace my cluster in order for me to drive my truck.

Here are the codes I am getting U1403, U1421, and P0633. Everything I have read says one of the causes is the cluster being bad.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Thought I should post some progress on my build. I am currently deployed till December and while I been deployed I been ordering parts for the mega cab. Its going to be like Christmas x2 when I get home with all the parts waiting for me.

Parts that are sitting on the work bench:
Blue Sea ST Blade Fuse Block
EAS EGT Probe with Starter Kit
EAS Pressure Sensor 0-100 PSIg 1/8IN NPT
EAS Universal Sensor Input (5 Volt)
FASS Titanium 150 GPH
Exhaust Manifold Stud Kit
Thuren Control Arms (Old Style)

Parts that have been ordered:
Creative Fab Traction bars
Bump Drop Plates 1/4"
Carli Ball Joints
Hub Assembly
Front Axle U-Joints (Spicer)
Carli Limit Straps
Carli Low Mount Stabilizer
Stainless Steel Brake Line Kit
Carli Full Leaf Pack

Parts that still need to be ordered:
Front Axle Truss
● 1.5 Inch OD DOM, .388 Inch Wall, 3/8 inch C Gussets
Boogie Front Bumps with Clamps
Boogie Rear Bump Stops With Brackets

Once I get everything for the suspension and get it all installed I can start working on bullet proofing the stock 5.9L. Needless to say when I get home I have a lot of work ahead of me lol.

overactor

Observer
I would love to check your truck out sometime. Im here at Bragg as well. I have a 2012 Tacoma TRD Offroad. Which is outstanding in every way except the size. Lightweight, high enough to get over most obstacles i find around here while deer hunting. Ive only added General AT2's and Weathertech floor mats. I am thinking about trading it in for a 2010-2012 crew cab cummins. just for the sake of room. i drive several long road trips every year. Also hunting camping ect could always use the extra space. Carli is the suspension i want to run aswell.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
So I have about 3 weeks left of my deployment and i cannot wait to get home and start working on my truck. The wife is a little on the P'ed side with all the boxes and the pallet sitting in the garage lol.

The parts that are waiting for me when I get back to North Carolina.

EAS EGT Probe with Starter Kit
EAS Pressure Sensor 0-100 PSIg 1/8IN NPT (For fuel pressure)
EAS Universal Sensor Input (5 Volt)
FASS Titanium 150 GPH
Exhaust Manifold Stud Kit
Blue Sea ST Blade Fuse Block
Creative Fab Works C Gussets
Creative Fab Works Bed Supports
Thuren Control Arms
Creative Fab Traction bars
Carli Ball Joints
Hub Assembly
Front Axle Spicer U-Joints
Carli Limit Straps
Carli Low Mount Stabilizer
Stainless Steel Brake Line Kit
Carli Full Leaf Pack
Lightforce wiring harness
Rear Door Wiring Harness
EFI Live Autocal
Thuren Front Axle Truss
EBC Yellow Stuff Brake Pads
EBC Yellow Stuff Brake Pads
Bean's Diesel Sump
Artec Rear Axle Truss
Solid Front Differential Cover

I think all that will keep me busy for a couple weeks, just need to find someone local who will weld the front C gussets and front and rear axle trusses on for me.

Hopefully after I get all that on I can finally take it to the trails and beaches :D.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Been a bit since I posted any updates. Been busy with the family since I got home from deployment and I was able to work on the truck some.

Got the following installed and of course forgot to take pictures.

Carli Ball Joints
Hub Assembly
Front Axle Spicer U-Joints
Creative Fab Works Bed Supports
Lightforce wiring harness
Rear Door Wiring Harness

Still have a lot of parts that I need to put on my truck. First thing Monday is the pinion seal on my front axle is getting replaced and hopefully my front driveline vibration will go away as well.

Tuesday the truck goes to the dealer for the air bag recall on the 3500s, the recall is R25 and here is the site to look up your vin for the recalls http://recalls.mopar.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior