Question about Rash Rings / Bead Lock for LR3 wheels

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
What tires are you running? If those are the Goodyear MTR with Kevlar in the 275/65-18 then the will have a C rated sidewall. I ran this tire for 35k miles and concluded that the sidewall was not good enough for the weight of the LR3. I have a wheel that looks just like yours with rim damage. I concluded that the sidewall flexed way too much. With rather short sidewall of the around 175mm it allowed some rocks I was driving over push the side wall in enough and run the rim on the rock. This was particularly bad when the LR3 would pretend to drift its way through the trail by slipping off rocks sideways. All of this resulted in wheel like yours. I was typically airing down to around 20 psi. This turned out to be way too low for the C rating of the sidewall.

1. For those tires keep the pressure up around 25 psi.
2. Pick a better line if possible, although that trail looks tough.
3. Pick a better tire with an E rating in the sidewall. Not many choices here though.

I went with a 33 inch Nitto Trail Grappler (285/65-18), modified fenders and bump stops. I have not had a problem with a wheel since.

I like the idea of rash ring but it looks a little out of place on a Land Rover IMHO. I have always been impressed where and LR3 can go. It looks like your absolutely pushing the limits of what these heavy beasts can do. Overall the weight of the LR3 is what limits it and I think is major contributor to what you have been doing to your wheels. I have seen some instances where over inflating an LR3 on 19-20s is being recommended while offroad. That seems crazy to me but perhaps something to try.

17 inch steel wheels are probably the best way to go. They are just so damn ugly.

KyleT

Explorer
I would not want to weld on a rover wheel... And that rock ring looks like it has to be welded? Rover wheels are not cast well imo. I have seen quite a few that have gloriously busted from impacts...

You can get a set of tires that has a better rim protector bead on them.

Personally I think either some steel wheels or be more careful with your lines. The lr3 is a big heavy pig to be thrashing around bad enough to chew wheels up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwestpro

Explorer
I would get a new wheel to replace the broken one. and try the rock rings. I don't think there is much else to say unless you get the 17" steel wheels that Lucky 8 sells.

16 and 17 inch wheels also open up a lot more options for tires.

They aren't available, at all, so quit saying "just buy them" For realZ dude.

Jwestpro

Explorer
What tires are you running? If those are the Goodyear MTR with Kevlar in the 275/65-18 then the will have a C rated sidewall. I ran this tire for 35k miles and concluded that the sidewall was not good enough for the weight of the LR3. I have a wheel that looks just like yours with rim damage. I concluded that the sidewall flexed way too much. With rather short sidewall of the around 175mm it allowed some rocks I was driving over push the side wall in enough and run the rim on the rock. This was particularly bad when the LR3 would pretend to drift its way through the trail by slipping off rocks sideways. All of this resulted in wheel like yours. I was typically airing down to around 20 psi. This turned out to be way too low for the C rating of the sidewall.

3. Pick a better tire with an E rating in the sidewall. Not many choices here though.

I went with a 33 inch Nitto Trail Grappler (285/65-18), modified fenders and bump stops. I have not had a problem with a wheel since.

Which nitto TG, the old or newer version?
25psi sounds WAY too little. But it depends on vehicle weight, therefor I don't think you should post that number to sound like a blanket recommendation. Mine on 30 psi seems like barely enough psi in a 275/65x18 bfg ko2. But my lr3 weighs 7000 lbs this week probably. I might go weigh it now that the roof is empty temporarily but all the other stuff is on.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I have ~2" more side wall with 16" wheels on my Disco 2.

No, you have 1" more sidewall. Unless he's on 20's.

With the same size tire diameter, he should be able to use the same psi and retain higher running clearance under the front and rear low diff points, while you'd have higher breakover in the D2. For the traction issues mentioned though, it sounds like different tires or you had a lot less psi and know how to drive better...especially if his has the rear locker.

On your OME springs, are the "HD" what gives you 3"? or another model spring entirely? I have medium on my 04 but the 31.5" tires seem a little tight on factory 16's. Fine for general curbs and forest roads. I put in the medium back in 2006 just because the factory springs kind of sucked but I wasn't planning any steel bumpers at the time so medium is perfect in that regard. The 265/75x16 bfg though on the 16" alloy rub the radius arms which is annoying. In hind sight I should've just gotten the steels from Rovers North or AB with the wider offset built in.

Oh, I don't think you mentioned your tire spec? Is is something narrow which would be more ideally suited to the narrow wheels, or wider like most people do? I have 245/70 or 75 on the D1. Suits it well for general uses.

DiscoNels

Adventurer

I like the idea of rash ring but it looks a little out of place on a Land Rover IMHO. I have always been impressed where and LR3 can go. It looks like your absolutely pushing the limits of what these heavy beasts can do. Overall the weight of the LR3 is what limits it and I think is major contributor to what you have been doing to your wheels. I have seen some instances where over inflating an LR3 on 19-20s is being recommended while offroad. That seems crazy to me but perhaps something to try.

17 inch steel wheels are probably the best way to go. They are just so damn ugly.

Based on some of the same observations about sidewall flex and being a 6500lb beast I have started to either not air down or air down to around 30psi. Memorial Day I was wheeling in Wisconsin after 3 days of rain, the trails were very muddy or sandy, and I didn't air down a single psi and did just fine. Didn't need to worry about rocks.

In hindsight if I wouldn't have aired down to 22psi on the trail that did the damage to my wheels I may have gotten through without damage but who knows. Those rocks were crushing. I was pushing ALL capabilities of the LR3 and I'm pretty confident that to date, I am the only one in history to use a 2005+ modern Landy to wheel this trail. But, I made it with the help of my club and that's all that matters. I don't know that I would do the full trail again as it was brutal and my under armor shows the proof. Not to mention the broken window, tree damage to both side mirrors and rear body panel, slashed sidewall, and more. If anyone if interested in wheeling the Mesabi trail in MN go for it. Fun stuff! :)

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I don't have any rubbing. I have some weird off brand mud terrains in a 265/75/16. GT Radial Adventuro M/T. Cheap tire, but its been holding up great, they have pretty good traction everywhere I have tried them. They are getting a lot louder the older they get though. I have Load Range E. On the trail I usually run 20 PSI. http://www.gtradial-us.com/en/ADVENTURO_M_T.html I'm running the factory 16 inch wheels without any spacers. The tires don't rub.

I set my buddies LR3 at about 30 PSI. He has the Nitto All terrains. I told him to get load range E, but he ended up with something else that wasn't really a truck tire. Even 30 PSI is kind of scary on that tire. He almost ripped the sidewall coming off of the Top of the World trail in Moab. He's fairly new to 4 wheeling. He went with us last year in his RRC. He actually did better in the RRC without anything but the viscous coupling in the transfer case then he did in the LR3. LR3's are just heavy beasts.

I have OME HD springs. I can't remember the number on them anymore. This is the second vehicle I have recycled them to. On the rear I have MD springs. They were on it when I got it. The previous owner had just stuck the OME springs back there to get rid of the air bags. Unloaded the back sits about 1/2" taller then the front. With my truck loaded up for wheeling, it levels out. Or if I haul my M101 trailer behind it loaded, it levels out.

No, you have 1" more sidewall. Unless he's on 20's.

With the same size tire diameter, he should be able to use the same psi and retain higher running clearance under the front and rear low diff points, while you'd have higher breakover in the D2. For the traction issues mentioned though, it sounds like different tires or you had a lot less psi and know how to drive better...especially if his has the rear locker.

On your OME springs, are the "HD" what gives you 3"? or another model spring entirely? I have medium on my 04 but the 31.5" tires seem a little tight on factory 16's. Fine for general curbs and forest roads. I put in the medium back in 2006 just because the factory springs kind of sucked but I wasn't planning any steel bumpers at the time so medium is perfect in that regard. The 265/75x16 bfg though on the 16" alloy rub the radius arms which is annoying. In hind sight I should've just gotten the steels from Rovers North or AB with the wider offset built in.

Oh, I don't think you mentioned your tire spec? Is is something narrow which would be more ideally suited to the narrow wheels, or wider like most people do? I have 245/70 or 75 on the D1. Suits it well for general uses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior