1999 G500 Pur edition

otiswesty

Regular guy
One of the things I really like about the Pur edition was the wood loading floor and the single rear seats in the back. When I had a family of five plus to haul around, it was not practical to change out the nice 2/3-1/3 seat bench in the rear. Nevertheless, I did make a few half hearted attempts to source a driver's side matching single seat from Europe, but it was a hens tooth to say the least. Still casually looking over the long term, I lucked onto a set of G-Professional rear seats from Australia last month that had been taken out of the Outback Spirit Tours Gwagens being prepared for the Canning route tours a few years ago. https://www.outbackspirittours.com.au/

These are NOS black leather seats, the main differences from the 463 single seat is that the standard right sided single seat cannot be fitted on the left side due to the wheel arch being in the way of the seat release for forward folding. Also the belt receiver needs to be situated on the inside aspect of the seat. Nice to have that set up in a factory correct product.

Gotta say, I'm pretty happy with these, the seats themselves were reasonably priced but the shipping costs, not so much. Once and done tho, phew.

Installation will require an additional inboard seat forward mount in the floor over the storage compartment as well as installation of the catch bar for the rear seat base fastener. Spring projects are looking busier every day now.

Singles.jpgSingleSeats.jpg
Singles.jpgSingleSeats.jpg

Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
My nice Continental radio died on me last month unfortunately. It had been working intermittently for a few months and then finally stopped booting up at all.

I really like the aesthetics of this radio, the bluetooth, aux, and USB input are super handy. Plus it is non-CD so the depth is reduced making it easy to fit and mount. I had a spare in my 1997 turbo diesel that I pulled for the Feb ski trip to Montana, so big blue is still in full groovy action. I'll send it in for warranty, but I have to say that a radio dying after 2 years is a far cry from the 20 year old original that never missed a beat. Now if only the old classic could answer my phone...

This is the Continental 7412UB-ORConti.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Cool Eric! Tell us why 2 individual rear seats; what are your plans "surrounding" them?

otiswesty

Regular guy
I think the biggest advantage is the walk through to the rear when using it as a camper.
It makes movement through the vehicle much easier.
For the last 2 years, I have just been using the car with the double seat removed

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I think the biggest advantage is the walk through to the rear when using it as a camper.
It makes movement through the vehicle much easier.
For the last 2 years, I have just been using the car with the double seat removed

True to that!

MitsyMonty

One of the things I really like about the Pur edition was the wood loading floor and the single rear seats in the back. When I had a family of five plus to haul around, it was not practical to change out the nice 2/3-1/3 seat bench in the rear. Nevertheless, I did make a few half hearted attempts to source a driver's side matching single seat from Europe, but it was a hens tooth to say the least. Still casually looking over the long term, I lucked onto a set of G-Professional rear seats from Australia last month that had been taken out of the Outback Spirit Tours Gwagens being prepared for the Canning route tours a few years ago. https://www.outbackspirittours.com.au/

These are NOS black leather seats, the main differences from the 463 single seat is that the standard right sided single seat cannot be fitted on the left side due to the wheel arch being in the way of the seat release for forward folding. Also the belt receiver needs to be situated on the inside aspect of the seat. Nice to have that set up in a factory correct product.

Gotta say, I'm pretty happy with these, the seats themselves were reasonably priced but the shipping costs, not so much. Once and done tho, phew.

Installation will require an additional inboard seat forward mount in the floor over the storage compartment as well as installation of the catch bar for the rear seat base fastener. Spring projects are looking busier every day now.

This is such a cool mod, is the right side 1/3 seat in the G500 different from the right side 463 single seat? And how involved is relocation of the existing floor mounts?

otiswesty

Regular guy
My nice Continental radio died on me last month unfortunately. It had been working intermittently for a few months and then finally stopped booting up at all.
This is the Continental 7412UB-ORView attachment 572805
I emailed Schlauer-Shop in Germany and have sent the unit back to them, looks like they will be replacing it for me despite the fact that the purchase date was July 2018. Pretty impressive.
I did buy another one from eGuages in Detroit as well, they are no longer in business. I suspect they would not have warrantied a radio over 12 months old anyways.

This is such a cool mod, is the right side 1/3 seat in the G500 different from the right side 463 single seat? And how involved is relocation of the existing floor mounts?
The 463 G500 seat and the 461 G350 Pro edition seat is exactly the same mounting for the right side. The seats look almost identical, the back cover is molded ABS instead of vinyl covered and the material is MB Tex rather than leather, they "look" almost exactly the same tho. The Pro edition seats also lack the seat heater elements found in the G500 seats
For the left, I will definitely need to add a forward tilt mounting point. The rear latch looks close to the position on the other side. I will trial fit it later this week.

Here is a pic of the mounts from another truck undergoing restoration.

Mounts.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles