My ongoing Xterra build thread

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
I just love this build. Really inspiring me man. May I ask what tires those are? Also, the headers, Doug thorley?

I am on the island for 2 weeks as if Friday. I will keep my eyes out for ya

Sweet dude!, Thanks a bunch..
They are bfg ko2 all terrains theyre 265/70r17s
and yea they are the dough thorley long tube headers to eliminate the failed cats.
Right on if you get this in time PM me I got some sweet suggestions for ya.

Im

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
A little Update.

So Ive got around 9000km on er since the fresh rebuild.
something is ticking in the top end when it's warmed up (lifters probably I didnt change them.) haven't really investigated it too much due to a lack of caring about it on my parts. runs nice and quiet and smooth in the morning, when I change my leafs I'll try and stethoscope some things and such.

And I broke a leaf 450km from home on my latest camping trip.
which looked a little something like this..

zrI4a8E.jpg

We were trying to confirm or deny some rumors on a hunch. one of those it could be here, could also not be kind of things. and also I'm so bad at being prepared

ASpP1xb.jpg

Ah crap roads closed.. my leaf was already broken at this point. good thing the sign told me what to expect

2tI4LGD.jpg

Oh the sweet sea air, smells like success!

NITjxYX.jpg

We also went and had nice beach camp

J6x4lWf.jpg

One of the perks of going so far out is a bit of solitude
I'll just leave the rest here

SUQ7fNM.jpg

Ny4up1f.jpg

7Hh0Tx1.jpg

OPwL6T6.jpg

6wbUMjA.jpg

Sslb3yQ.jpg

saPx25U.jpg

OGsk6NS.jpg

nICFHGc.jpg

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Some great pictures from this trip! I would love to find that camping spot for my next trip to the West Coast! Looks to be the perfect trip other than the broken parts. Is that the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 TENT? How is that working for you? I was trying to decide between that and a new MSR Freelight 2 tent and ended up with the MSR. Going to try that out on my next canoe trip as soon as the ice disappears here in the Prairies.

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
Yup that's exactly what it is. I've been loving it. its small light and easy to set up, I've been very happy with it.

And yea its really something else having what seems like the entire park to yourself.. empty beaches are out there you just gotta work a little harder to find em.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Yup that's exactly what it is. I've been loving it. its small light and easy to set up, I've been very happy with it.

And yea its really something else having what seems like the entire park to yourself.. empty beaches are out there you just gotta work a little harder to find em.

That must be nice with the place for yourselves! Would make the extra KM worth it! I have it marked for my next trip out :)

Pancake81

Awesome update man. Sorry I didn't see your message until I got back to Prince George. I am about to pull the trigger on some long tube Doug thorleys, but don't have the time to rip apart my daily driver right now, so debating having a shop do the install.

Any guesses on labour?

May I ask where you ordered from, and how much of a ***** it was? Did they come with new gaskets/studs, or did you order that seperate?

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
Awesome update man. Sorry I didn't see your message until I got back to Prince George. I am about to pull the trigger on some long tube Doug thorleys, but don't have the time to rip apart my daily driver right now, so debating having a shop do the install.

Any guesses on labour?

May I ask where you ordered from, and how much of a ***** it was? Did they come with new gaskets/studs, or did you order that seperate?

Hey, ya it was nice having the engine out to install them.. when I took my old exhaust off all my bolts came out easy if they come easy Id think somewhere around 4-5 hour job,
I ordered them from 4x4parts, with new gaskets studs and bolts..with shipping and the dollar the way it is it ends up being around 1000 bucks delivered.

keane

Observer
Nice xterra and good job on the rebuild, I am going to need to do that sooner than later.
I always enjoy my trips over to the island. Will be over in july for a wedding and am going to try and get over to Tofino again for a few days camping. That looks like a great camping area. Is the cabin open for those that find it to use, or is it a private one. And I dont expect you to give away any hidden favorite spots. But if you have any suggestions for some slightly more out of the way spots to camp, that would be great.

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
So today I changed the lifters, I didn't do them when I redid the engine but they've been very ticky lately. only took about 3 and a half hours including cleaning up my IAC/AAC valve and replacing one of the little coolant lines going to the fat idle cam on the TPS. The new ones have definitely improved things a lot, its way quieter now especially when hot, and its getting lots more power now too.

Been a pretty busy summer, I did some things, I seen some stuff, climbed some mountains, camped on some more beaches.
Almost done my apprenticeship, life's pretty damn good.

nRGj9Bz.jpg

ah yes the easy side took less than an hour but the other side I did some other things on my intake. Its just an ignorant side of the engine..
Xsahhyh.jpg

Showing the wifes cousin and her husband from Alberta some BC backroads.
TCQ2fFb.jpg

Happy Canada Day!
7a9AVp2.jpg

Chased some waterfalls!
yS4mQpu.jpg

Mountains for days!
SBFEa3M.jpg

Vw7K2IM.jpg

45cc2dx.jpg

Lifes a beach
X3y99Zq.jpg

A night to remember.
W8jFNEs.jpg

The old road at the far end of nowhere.

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
Its time to make first gens great again!

So it' been running pretty solid for he last 25k Kilometers. I changed the lifters back in September and its runs so quietly now. I need to do a few things to it still, the rear end (I'm like 80% sure its the thirdmember) is howling at cruise, like when you are neither accelerating or decelerating.. like light loads. If I lay off the gas or hammer into it its nice and quiet.
Once I fix that I'll be able to get far out there again, I've still got some other work I've been wanting to do to it, build a swing out tire carrier, lift it like 2 or 3 inches and change all ball joint and bushings, It should be ok with the tires I have now and the lift hope it doesn't look too dorky till i wear the tires out then probably go 33s.
I also wanna fit a boost gauge, re bearing my supercharger, and it will need a new exhaust soon.
I took er a few places this past year so heres a handful of pics,

jCpmt7O.jpg

found a cool parking spot last weekend, that's about all there was there.
j1p2pgF.jpg

M9O8Nxg.jpg

Found some cool roads
XnrcJud.jpg

peg5kLB.jpg

9vId5Xc.jpg

2YDQbvM.jpg

Pw3hlXT.jpg

CuwOHyp.jpg

3Z6BDGk.jpg

lQ0CBzk.jpg

1i13Wl8.jpg

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
So this past summers adventures have taken a toll on my truck, the rear suspension bottoms out all the time now, rear suspension bushings are totally pounded out, the steering idler arm is super sloppy, all my ball joints still seem tight but most of the boots are cracked and leaking grease now.. so needless to say I broke down and got all new steering components, 2 inch lift leafs for the back, and all new front suspension a arms and ball joints.
My engine has been running great, and really my only complaint is I bottom out all the time, so the new heavy duty leaf pack and lift should solve that.
Hopefully by early summer I hop to get a new supercharger for it.. mines getting louder and louder and kind of makes me weary of taking it on some of my next planned road trips where id be driving 10 hours a day for 7 days straight.. I'd like some nice new bearings before I attempt that haha

Anyways here's some of this summers highlights

3pLNxUy.jpg

hy9V4vR.jpg

JeDrNal.jpg

At8Yzgz.jpg

G5BOgdu.jpg

Rcm3EXH.jpg

6xuFPcd.jpg

gVz4uET.jpg

GYv6znc.jpg

IsNU5q7.jpg

Iaq2nGw.jpg

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
Great photos! Makes me miss my first gen.

Thanks dude,
Yeah, I'd like a new rig, but everytime I come close to pulling the trigger on something newer I look at how much interest I'd be throwing away.. so I just throw it at my truck and carry on without another payments or extra debt haha. Really for what we do with it it suits us just fine, The premium gas is a bit of a kick in the nuts but even still. I also like the piece of mind knowing my clutch and engine aren't gunna **** out for another 200k km.

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
Got new rear springs, they're a 4/1 compared to the stock 2/1 that bottomed out with the truck empty on pavement. Im hoping they settle down a 1/2-3/4 inch, all my front end stuff should be here next week then I'll re index the front torsion bars and get it in for an alignment.

First impressions on road ride quality is a little stiffer but hardly noticeable.. the off road test will surely tell. I'm very impressed so far.
Before:
Gl2Ij0L.jpg

FM92Ll8.jpg

After:
jb7RLDu.jpg

jfKWeLt.jpg

During:
6JiXU4a.jpg

lnye7wi.jpg

8U5PGdu.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads