Wind Surfing Questions.

SteeperJeeper

I am looking to get into wind surfing. I live on the Potomac River right outside of Washington DC. I can find a whole set up fairly cheap on the local craigslist. Ive sailed several types of small boats up to a 45 foot sail boat. I have a decent knowledge of sailing and good swimming abilities. I was wondering if people think that getting a used set up would be a good idea just to start practicing on, it would probably be a pretty old set up. Can you learn to wind surf by yourself or would I need to take a lesson? Do you guys think that I should rent every time I go out until I can save up for a new set up?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I used to wind surf. Kinda boring compared to kite surfing. WAY MORE FUN. Initail setup is more expensive but once you have it you're set. Take a lesson.

volcomsurfer

Adventurer
you could watch youtube videos and get a good enough idea on how to do it. It's kind of gone out with the times to be honest. Everyone kiteboards now. But that's not something you can learn on your own. You need lessons for that, because it's dangerous.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I am looking to get into wind surfing. I live on the Potomac River right outside of Washington DC. I can find a whole set up fairly cheap on the local craigslist. Ive sailed several types of small boats up to a 45 foot sail boat. I have a decent knowledge of sailing and good swimming abilities. I was wondering if people think that getting a used set up would be a good idea just to start practicing on, it would probably be a pretty old set up. Can you learn to wind surf by yourself or would I need to take a lesson? Do you guys think that I should rent every time I go out until I can save up for a new set up?
If you can sail your a step ahead of the game. Why don't you rent or show up where the surfers are and try one out first. You know how sailing is. Just show up on the dock and poke around until your sailing. It's just such a unique devise I'd say start with a cheap used, rental or borrowed board until you see if it's for you.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer

Another ex-windsurfer here. A inexpensive large board with a fairly large centerboard and a medium sized sail would let you practice in calm conditions whenever you can get out on the water. That will carry you up through winds of 10-15 mph. When you find it doesn't go fast enough for your taste or the sail becomes overpowered, (mast flexes, sail looses shape, etc.) that is the next step in the learning curve and a decision point on finding better gear. My first board lasted 1 summer and it was off into the quest for better gear. I finished up my sailing as my stuff became unreliable in the extreme conditions and it was becoming too much work to load, unload, wash and repair. Typical trip was a full day bringing 4 boards, 3 masts, (with top and bottom extensions) and 7 sails ranging from 3 m^2 to 9m^2 to split between my wife and I. Gear is dependent on the size and weight of the sailor. She was always one board size down and 2 m^2 less sail size for a given wind condition. Enjoyable to just explore a small lake or bay in light winds on a large board or passing hobie cats and jumping waves in high winds on a short board that requires a water start because it doesn't have enough buoyancy to float you, (think large water ski with a sail on it).

I'd recommend starting with a bigger board in light winds and see where it takes you. If you don't like it after a summer, just pass it on down the road.

18seeds

Explorer
Another ex-windsurfer here. A inexpensive large board with a fairly large centerboard and a medium sized sail would let you practice in calm conditions whenever you can get out on the water. That will carry you up through winds of 10-15 mph. When you find it doesn't go fast enough for your taste or the sail becomes overpowered, (mast flexes, sail looses shape, etc.) that is the next step in the learning curve and a decision point on finding better gear. My first board lasted 1 summer and it was off into the quest for better gear. I finished up my sailing as my stuff became unreliable in the extreme conditions and it was becoming too much work to load, unload, wash and repair. Typical trip was a full day bringing 4 boards, 3 masts, (with top and bottom extensions) and 7 sails ranging from 3 m^2 to 9m^2 to split between my wife and I. Gear is dependent on the size and weight of the sailor. She was always one board size down and 2 m^2 less sail size for a given wind condition. Enjoyable to just explore a small lake or bay in light winds on a large board or passing hobie cats and jumping waves in high winds on a short board that requires a water start because it doesn't have enough buoyancy to float you, (think large water ski with a sail on it).

I'd recommend starting with a bigger board in light winds and see where it takes you. If you don't like it after a summer, just pass it on down the road.

This is very similar to how I grew up. I started by sailing sunfish's, was a diehard windsurfer up until college, started sailing again at age 40 (28 ft boats). Never got into kite boarding as the sport was just taking off when I went to college.

As you get better at wins urging you are on a constant search for good wind. That can be fun but I've spent a lot od days waiting for the wind

Night_Prowler

For your first time out try a rental out and see if it's for you. If you like it talk to them at the rental shop. Most places unload them at the end of the season cheap enough.

windtraveler

Observer
There are so many good options now that I disagree with the previous posters. Boards and sails have come a long way. I do agree that the best way to learn is to take a week or 2 and head to hatteras and take lessons and rent gear. There are several options down there. From there you will be able to determine if you like the sport and then you can decide if you want to buy newer gear. There are several good boards that work well enough for beginners that you can progress on into planing conditions. They can also be used as a SUP and some for small surf. The older equipment is not very user friendly and tends to turn people off of the sport as a result. To me, windsurfing today is more user friendly than it ever has been and the equipment is such that you don’t have to buy a different board for every different condition (at least not while you are progressing).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles