'90 Mercedes 917 Camper Build

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
I wanted to wait till I picked up the truck before I started a build thread. Well i'm picking it up the port next week.

I bought a 1990 917 AF with 20,000km from Austria.

So my build plan is to put a 16' XPCamper cube on the back.

I'm currently working with XPCamper to finalize the floorplan for the camper.

OVer the next couple months I'm going to be working on overhauling the cab and chassis.

Things to do:
New seats
A/C
Outside frame/Roof rack
Extra fuel tank
LED lighting
Wheels and tires
Pass through
Paint job

I'm working on the import and customs documents right now, it's been a little of a scramble getting all the last minute stuff together.

If anyone has any opinion or thoughts on any part of my build please let me know.

$_27 by casejeep, on Flickr

Foto 4 by casejeep, on Flickr

Foto 4 (1) by casejeep, on Flickr

Foto 3 by casejeep, on Flickr

Foto 3 (1) by casejeep, on Flickr

Foto 1 by casejeep, on Flickr

$_27 (10) by casejeep, on Flickr

$_27 (5) by casejeep, on Flickr

$_27 (4) by casejeep, on Flickr

$_27 (1) by casejeep, on Flickr

Last edited:

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
4X4 and everything! Bought it over the internet so who really knows what it will look like and have. Im picking it up on Friday and then driving it 650 miles across the desert in 100 degree heat, I hope it is in good condition! The cab doesn't have A/C either so I'll be trying to keep the truck and myself cool.

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
Yes it is FREE!!! I had a few customs brokers tell me otherwise until they looked it up. But yes since it is a firefighting vehicle its free. Also when it comes to buying a 25 year old vehicle... why not buy a vehicle that is cleaned head to toe every day. Firefighters only wash their truck and play Xbox, I felt it was a good bet. It is run regularly, just not very far.

Was there a duty charge on the vehicle with it being a fire truck and all? I have heard rumors that they are exempt...

Kiomon

Adventurer
I am excited to watch this come together. If your XPCUBE going to be a lifting roof model or will it be stationary? Have you locked in on a layout? I think the Bliss Mobil guys are pretty efficient in their set-ups!

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
I am excited to watch this come together. If your XPCUBE going to be a lifting roof model or will it be stationary? Have you locked in on a layout? I think the Bliss Mobil guys are pretty efficient in their set-ups!

Im not sure about lifting roof or not. Its heavier and more parts. There is also the issue of having windows in the back so that when family is back there they can see, its not dark. I think my wife likes the idea of this lifting roof more than I. I love the construction on the Bliss Mobil, Their layouts aren't anything to write home about. I think if i were to do it again I might go for one of their models.

The layout is still out in the air. But since we are planning on living in this thing for 12+ months at a time I want my daughter to have her own "room" or area, not having to fold down the table every night. So how do I do that with a 16" camper? well it is/was hard. I drew up these just to get my brain going. Nothing is in stone or anything, tried not to reinvent the wheel but when you can do it custom why not get what you want?

20150413_110131 by casejeep, on Flickr

20150413_123948 by casejeep, on Flickr

20150413_124000 by casejeep, on Flickr

Timod110

Observer
Uppercrust

I imported my defender from Switzerland. The 'safety' over there is so hard on old vehicles they have to export many of them. My truck was in immaculate conditon for a 25year old Land Rover. Hopefully you have the same luck. Looks like a fantastic platform

Looking forward to seeing this come together

Cheers

Tim

canals1164

Observer
We managed to get double bed at rear above store area and then bathroom with dressing area and door on bed room area which closes on to side of bathroom. At the front we have a sofa in front of folding table the back rest then folds up to give single bed. Depends on age of child but at 15 our son never goes to bed before us so it works well. We managed to have a large clear area alongside the kitchen and with two of us it works really well and when Jack joins us we use a folding chair at meal times. It looks like a great truck and ours was very well maintained with no corrosion on fasteners. The fire truck has better gearing and with super single wheels and tyres it sits very well on main roads without to much engine noise. Good luck with the build and keep us posted.
cheers
Ian & Angela

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
Well I made it home in one piece. The only "issue" the truck had is the Front*Locking Differential indicator light turned on. Even though I didnt touch the button. I opened up the diff and it was full of oil. So I have no idea what the issue might be.Any ideas?

But with the drive was quite nice. My top speed was 98km per hour, which wasn't bad. I got about 12.5 MPG with the petal on the floor the whole drive. It has a 20gal tank which is smaller than I hopped for. The truck is in really nice shape! Starts up right away, no rust (a little surface rust on some of the axles), glass is not chipped of cracked.

I've started disassembling the interior cleaning as I go. Ive ordered heat and sound liner, it wasn't all that loud or hot but I figure quieter is always better and without A/C I want to keep the cab as cool as I can. I also ordered some Mastercraft seats with 5 point harnesses.

BUT 10 points to anyone who can tell me what on earth this thing is. It reads FESTO frc- 1/4 sb
20150608_201628 by casejeep, on Flickr

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
Festo is an old name used by festool tools. To me it looks like a simple air cleaner for a compressed air system, perhaps for separating oil and water?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
That's what I think it is, Festo also make pneumatic rams, so if you had anything pneumatic on the truck, that may be the air supply for it.

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
Yeah im not sure what goes in what side or what i need to do with it? It looks slightly important and would hate to mess it up somehow.

But an update. I took the headliner out of the cabin prep for batting. Looks like we are going to recover it, it is in pretty good shape but the wife wants to make it our own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier