ComaRed: Adventures and Build Thread, 2004 Tacoma DoubleCab TRD

loudboy

Observer
From Colorado we headed over the Utah, which as it turn out is another playground. I like this theme. I love this country.
Moab, Zion, Arches, Bryce Canyon.

Rented a Polaris Razor and flogged it all over the desert for the afternoon. What an incredibly capable machine! Fast or slow, it handled every obstacle with ease. Five hours at ~60mph, plus some slow climbing, and we only used 1.4 gallons of fuel!

I touched a dinosaur!!! Check that one off the bucket list.

On the road from Moab over to Bryce Canyon. I forgot to change the setting on my camera back from the previous night's long exposures, so all my pictures that day were massively blown out. The recovered images have a neat effect though.

By the time we got to Bryce Canyon it was late in the afternoon, we were hot and tired, and the place was crawling with tourists by the busload. Intent on finding someplace shady and cool to camp out for the night, we instead found a rather rugged National Forest road that ran right on over to Zion National Park. Bryce Canyon can be a destination for another day.
This little guy still had fresh brand marks on his hide as he free-ranged in the forest.

I don't have any pictures of it, but that night I experienced one of the most awe-inspiring moments of my life. As we were driving along, we more felt than heard thunder. Only is was continuous and felt as if it were coming from the ground. Pulling over to verify that it wasn't my truck, a cloud of dust began to gather beyond the road in the gathering gloom of late dusk.

The thunder was a large herd of buffalo stampeding across the prairie, all hoofbeats and snorting breath. Fortunately they were running parallel to the road, not across it. They were ghostly in the last moments of civil twilight, and full of power. It was effortless to float back in time and imagine herds ten or a hundred times that size charging over the horizon. And tagging along halfheartedly was one loan dairy cow. Just one of those magic moments on the road.

Not daring to bring my DSLR, I learned to take some stills with my GoPro in the slot canyons. If you ever have the chance, definitely hike/slosh this trail.

Since our tandem BASE jumping trip got nixed due to unfavorable winds, the girlie and I rented some bikes to head out across the desert in search of heatstroke. Fortunately the rental mountain bike came with a chain repair kit, as I blew mine out on the first hill climb.

Next stop: Vegas and home to California!

loudboy

Observer
Pulling into Vegas, we noticed more than the usual amount of skimpy-dressed young 20-somethings. Turns out we were just in time for the massive party/rave/blitzfest that is EDC. We bought tickets off craigslist and partied our faces off under a full moon out at the NASCAR racetrack. We also caught a Cirque du Soleil show, Blue Man Group, and jumped off the Stratosphere. Check, Check, Check, and Check goes the bucket list.

Then we chose the hottest part of the day to head out across Death Valley. Highest and lowest drivable roads: Check and Check!

After a bunch of rather mind-numbing desert highway and traffic driving, we finally made it to the little lady's family's place near Santa Barbara, CA. Her father works over at Vandenberg AirForce Base, so we went on a tour of the complex. Did you know that the computers used to track dead satellites and space debris are still using old magnetic tape drives? Yikes.

The launch platform used to boost many military and commercial satellites into space. Also home to one of the largest and flattest floors in the world, used for aligning rocket sections.

And this is Point Honda, site of the worst peace-time naval disaster in US history. As wikipedia says "On the evening of September 8, 1923, seven destroyers, while traveling at 20 knots (37 km/h), ran aground at Honda Point, a few miles from the northern side of the Santa Barbara Channel off Point Arguello on the coast in Santa Barbara County, California. Two other ships grounded, but were able to maneuver free of the rocks. Twenty-three sailors died in the disaster." At low tide the remains of the ships are still visible.

And finally, after a month and 7100+ miles, she is pulled into her new home, much in need of a bath. Everyone needs to go drive cross country; I cant wait to do it again!

deadbeat son

Explorer
The launch platform used to boost many military and commercial satellites into space. Also home to one of the largest and flattest floors in the world, used for aligning rocket sections.

IMG_3546_zps3sipwbuy.jpg

SLC-6?

Looks like an awesome trip. I can't think of a better way to commemorate a tour of duty than to see the country afterward!

loudboy

Observer
SLC-6?

Looks like an awesome trip. I can't think of a better way to commemorate a tour of duty than to see the country afterward!

Yup, that's the one! The trip was a great way to get out and see what I'd been working for. So much of my world as Junior Officer isolated on a cutter involved politics, the extremes of humanity, and other forms of generally serious business. It was nice to go out and meet real Americans in real America, not just what gets hyped up though Faux News or CNSpam.

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Your trip looks amazing! I'm hoping to go cross country when I'm out of college, you've definitely given me some inspiration on destinations...

loudboy

Observer
Your trip looks amazing! I'm hoping to go cross country when I'm out of college, you've definitely given me some inspiration on destinations...

Just aim for National Parks, but take whatever detour looks interesting along the way. Some tourist traps like Wall Drug can be adventures into Americana just as much as the Grand Canyon. Oh, and go to any local state fairs/art festivals you happen upon.

loudboy

Observer
I moved up to Portland on New Years Eve, 2014, and immediately set out to explore as much of the Pacific North-West as possible. Top of the list was the Northwesterly-most point in the continental US (already have SW and SE. NE is going to be a long haul someday). The Olympic Peninsula is an incredible place. First we headed out a romantic Victorian-era hotel in Port Townsend (roughing it, I know). The next morning we met up with a friend of time for the drive out to the NW point at Neah Bay and hiked around for a bit, then went to spend the night at beautiful and deserted Lake Ozette. We had intermittent rain the whole trip, with the breaks in the weather timed exactly for when we we stopped to stretch our legs and camp out. It was perfect. On the way back to Seattle we stopped off for a dip in crystal clear Lake Crescent and a quick trip to the top of Obstruction Point in Olympic National Park.

On the way out I found a long lost childhood friend. I'm sure my father still knows that kid's book by heart... It was only because we stopped for the photo-op that we found a great little cidery. I did nearly all my Christmas shopping in that one stop :p This is one of the random detours I'm talking about Kiriesh

My buddy also found a little friend on the beach. Don't worry, it's just sleeping :Wow1:

His brand-new-to-him 2nd Gen and my 2004. This was his truck's first outing. He hadn't learned all the buttons yet (which becomes an important fact later)

Because at the next turn-out, he pulled to far over and slid sideways into a ditch. This is where we spent a few moments finding and learning his 4x4 controls. It's a dial on 2nd gens - who knew? Anyways, 4x4 didn't help as he was actually high centered/bulldozed and couldn't get any traction. Luckily I had JUST installed my winch the previous weekend (though the tow strap also would have worked). We definitely looked like a bunch of mall-crawling n00bs getting stuck in a parking lot like that...

Taking a moment to enjoy the salty mist looking out across the Pacific. This is the NW-most point of the continental US, at Neah Bay.

We set up camp at Lake Ozette and raced along a hiking trail to catch the sunset

This is what it's all about right here! Discovering new places and making memories with great friends.

Our view from the tent at day break. Not a bad spot, huh?

Along the shores of Crescent Lake, whose waters were clear and coooold! We went for a dip anyways.

Click for movie

Then we headed up into Olympic National Park and up to Obstruction Point

We're all guilty of it

And that was that. A great quick weekend of exploring around. After heading back down the mountain we went in search of some hot Pho to warm bodies and souls.

Last edited:

loudboy

Observer
While the Truck Bedzzz and Camp Right bed-tent was a great combo, I was tired of having to unload all my gear just to set up the tent. Roof Top Tent it was! They are expensive, unnecessary, big, heavy, cumbersome to put on/take off....but so cool! So much room! So easy to use! Hell, half the reason I like this whole "expedition" scene is for the gear and gadgets and finding new ways to outfit my truck.

I put in an order for a Tepui Atana through On-The-Go Racks in Portland, Oregon. Mike is a busy dude, but is very responsive and adaptable customer-service wise. I definitely recommend buying through him if you are in the area. While waiting for the order to come in, I took measurements off his floor-model and had a local fabricator whip up a rack for my truck bed. I have the Google Sketchup file for it if anybody would like it. It's a perfect fit, as you can see in the following pictures. Weights about 25lbs in aluminum. It could use some tweaks in the design, but I'm happy with it for now.

And since it was up there, might as well take it for a test run, right? This was up in Gifford Pinchot National Forest. We found a great spot tucked away down by a river where there was a weird warm thermal of air that kept us cozy all evening. That night it poured rain on us, but we stayed fairly dry in the tent. The only downside to the RTT design is that you fold any water into the package where it creeps into your bedding, especially since it was still raining as we broke camp. Any hints on how to keep the water out? It was fine for this one-nighter where I could dry everything out in my garage the next day, but for long trips this will be a real problem...

Kiriesh

Adventurer
I moved up to Portland on New Years Eve, 2014, and immediately set out to explore as much of the Pacific North-West as possible. Top of the list was the Northwesterly-most point in the continental US (already have SW and SE. NE is going to be a long haul someday). The Olympic Peninsula is an incredible place. First we headed out a romantic Victorian-era hotel in Port Townsend (roughing it, I know). The next morning we met up with a friend of time for the drive out to the NW point at Neah Bay and hiked around for a bit, then went to spend the night at beautiful and deserted Lake Ozette. We had intermittent rain the whole trip, with the breaks in the weather timed exactly for when we we stopped to stretch our legs and camp out. It was perfect. On the way back to Seattle we stopped off for a dip in crystal clear Lake Crescent and a quick trip to the top of Obstruction Point in Olympic National Park.

On the way out I found a long lost childhood friend. I'm sure my father still knows that kid's book by heart... It was only because we stopped for the photo-op that we found a great little cidery. I did nearly all my Christmas shopping in that one stop :p This is one of the random detours I'm talking about Kiriesh

My buddy also found a little friend on the beach. Don't worry, it's just sleeping :Wow1:

His brand-new-to-him 2nd Gen and my 2004. This was his truck's first outing. He hadn't learned all the buttons yet (which becomes an important fact later)

Because at the next turn-out, he pulled to far over and slid sideways into a ditch. This is where we spent a few moments finding and learning his 4x4 controls. It's a dial on 2nd gens - who knew? Anyways, 4x4 didn't help as he was actually high centered/bulldozed and couldn't get any traction. Luckily I had JUST installed my winch the previous weekend (though the tow strap also would have worked). We definitely looked like a bunch of mall-crawling n00bs getting stuck in a parking lot like that...

Taking a moment to enjoy the salty mist looking out across the Pacific. This is the NW-most point of the continental US, at Neah Bay.

We set up camp at Lake Ozette and raced along a hiking trail to catch the sunset

This is what it's all about right here! Discovering new places and making memories with great friends.

Our view from the tent at day break. Not a bad spot, huh?

Along the shores of Crescent Lake, whose waters were clear and coooold! We went for a dip anyways.

Click for movie

Then we headed up into Olympic National Park and up to Obstruction Point

We're all guilty of it

And that was that. A great quick weekend of exploring around. After heading back down the mountain we went in search of some hot Pho to warm bodies and souls.

Somehow I managed to accidentally unsubscribe! This is absolutely beautiful. Any must see places around ONP? I'll be spending a day and a half in the park in about a month as part of a 2.5 week trip up into the PNW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loudboy

Observer
Somehow I managed to accidentally unsubscribe! This is absolutely beautiful. Any must see places around ONP? I'll be spending a day and a half in the park in about a month as part of a 2.5 week trip up into the PNW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is so many amazing places explore out there and I have seen so little of it that I can't really say if any one thing is better than another. Go hike out to the oldest of the old growth forest, find the biggest tree you can, get as high up a mountain side as you can. Explore some of the islands and ride the ferry back to Seattle to enjoy the city-scape views.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
loudboy, if you ever make it out to the Northeast, let me know or atleast let us know over on Northeast Overland :elkgrin: We can show you a great time and some wicked cool spots I think you'd enjoy judging by your trip report and pictures ;)

Sub'd :coffee:

Ngneer

Observer
Great read man, nice pictures. During read I had the feeling, please another picture, you provided that plus. Thanks man. Did I miss a write-up bout the mods on ur truck. Would like to know more on the lift. Seems to b the right height, not to much but just enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior