ComaRed: Adventures and Build Thread, 2004 Tacoma DoubleCab TRD

loudboy

Observer
This is the old redwood slat save pipe for the hydroelectric dam at Toketee Falls. Really wild. Leaks sprung all over the place, plants growing out of it, old wood plugs peppering the whole thing.
tqthPi2.jpg

And Toketee Falls itself
z9GlXUj.jpg

Stopped to have a snowball fight at the top of the Cascades
QOtww1N.jpg

Some sort of weird dog at Crescent Moon Ranch outside of Bend
4jkoDtn.jpg

John Day Fossil Beds National Monument was beautful rugged quiet landscape. John Day himself? Not so much. There are loads of things and areas and rivers named after John Day in Oregon. He was probably some big shot founding father of the state, right? Wrong. He was a fur trapper who was kicked out of his party for being an ************, robbed by local Native Americans, and left naked in the woods. He made his way back to some little town and wouldn't stop bitching and complaining about the whole ordeal, so the river by which he was abandoned, mugged, and bare-assed became known as "over out by that river where that ************ John Day was robbed at". Eventually this was shortened to just John Day River. At least that's what the sign said.

Anyways, here's a picture of some old rocks
Mvwxhah.jpg

rWTTHLZ.jpg

jJsZXTD.jpg

EgXZS3x.jpg

Ji9GEry.jpg

Mt Hood from somewhere to the south
D0AsORF.jpg

And the giant Parkdale lava flow somewhere to the north. This thing was really wild because it is only about 7,000 years old. This big ol mole hill of lava was seeping and oozing it's way across the landscape when people where living out there. It's 300 feet tall! Imagine seeing that sucker glow at night.
md3HQH1.jpg

loudboy

Observer
Went for a little roadtrip to see the Tullip Festival, hiking at Silver Falls, and camping at Detroit Lake. Crashed the drone when it became confused by trying to follow the river with it's downward facing cameras and lost GPS signal. Look how close I came to being "that guy" who loses his drone into the river and pollutes everything with the batteries. What a jerk. Lesson learned though.

ePKulBU.jpg

qSaHZsc.jpg

mFIhD9P.jpg

dASgOxm.jpg

D1dRxbC.jpg

bno2FbG.jpg

tjw75lD.jpg

wXjY7bG.jpg

loudboy

Observer
Gambler 500! Except when the driver just revs the piss out of an old Chevy and spins a bearing and you dont actually make it to the Gambler 500 and instead just make hotdogs on the side of the freeway. With all the modern conveniences of high tech trucks and great gadgets, it was more of an "expedition" to take an old unreliable hunk of junk out on a trail ride anyways.

nUcf81N.jpg

8nlB7uJ.jpg

seattlefarer

Found your thread, looks like exactly what I am hoping to do. With the panels and the fabric, how have you sealed them to make them watertight?

loudboy

Observer
Found your thread, looks like exactly what I am hoping to do. With the panels and the fabric, how have you sealed them to make them watertight?
The panels are sealed with VHB (very high bond) tape and bolted to the frame. Lots of caulking, too. The fabric is waterproof heavy duty vinyl tarp.

loudboy

Observer
So I put on stronger lift struts becuase I didnt want to use the kickstands inside to hold the top up. Guess I went too strong...
It blew apart at 75mph as I took a weird crosswind while passing a semi-truck. Luckily it held together enough not to take out any cars behind me. No injuries, no damage to the truck. Top version 2 coming soon....

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Just found your build. Looked great all the way up to the last picture! Dang, hate to see the carnage. How where you securing the top? Excited to see version 2 anyway.

loudboy

Observer
I stumbled across this thread, and realized I spotted you last summer in Sequim.
Nice! I had always been a little bummed that no one ever posted me up on another forums "spotted thread". I drove that truck all over the place and it was set up pretty unique. I had the truck being worked on at the mechanic there in Port Angeles. I miss that camper and how the truck looked, but sure don't miss the weight.

loudboy

Observer
Just found your build. Looked great all the way up to the last picture! Dang, hate to see the carnage. How where you securing the top? Excited to see version 2 anyway.
The top was held down with repurposed ratchet straps from the inside. I never did find the right sort of external latches for it that seemed secure enough both physically and from tampering.

tambam

The top was held down with repurposed ratchet straps from the inside. I never did find the right sort of external latches for it that seemed secure enough both physically and from tampering.

What about lockable butterfly latches like the ones used on flight cases?

loudboy

Observer
That could have worked up under the fiberglass lip. But that camper shell is all blowed up now. It blowed up real good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94