NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
I like the nano idea, though that full safe is a neat idea too-my wife would veto it b/c she keeps her absurdly large box of tissues in the damn center console and there is noway she wouldn't notice those being gone.

When I get back to CONUS I am thinking of hitting up Springtail to figure out a version of this to place fore/aft in the back left of the vehicle for my larger 'pistol(s)'
Springtail MPAC rear door basket.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/SpringtailSolutions/posts/709257589185013

adamp

Ray - we are considering an LR3 for various reasons... comfort, towing ability, space,etc... Can you recommend a good resource for determining best (or can you) years, options, etc... to look for? Use would be likely DD, trips, dirt roads, occasional trail riding. Would need to be built for durability as getting to my house each day is essentially a trail ride in and of itself. Any advice would be appreciated.

John
Hi,

A couple of great sources of info for the Disco 3 are.....

www.aulro.com
www.disco3.co.uk

Hope that helps
Cheers.

Ray_G

Explorer

Ray_G

Explorer
Christmas in Oman

The tail end of the years travels and obligations has cut back on any mods, culminating with the kiddos coming out to Abu Dhabi for Xmas. A trip over to the relatives in Muscat validated the build of the truck again, smoothly eating up the miles through the desert in comfort and utility with the fridge dividing the ladies in the back-and the rear cargo area/roof rack sucking up xmas presents and three females worth of luggage in a non-expo laden fashion
2015-12-23 13.50.12.jpg
The D3 highlight for the trip was heading to the 1000 Nights camp in Wahiba, Oman which is a few hours S of Muscat out in the desert. A great chance to play with the truck in some sand and get some nice shots
PC260192.jpg
Quite a bit of fun racing across the valley floor as a bunch of other folks were playing with their various trucks
PC260171.jpg
The camel shot I dumped into the overall pics thread but the postscript is worth it since I was trying to get a shot of the guy on the camel, talking on his iPhone, passing my truck but timing kicked my ***.
PC260205.jpg
PC260206.jpg
A shot of the family(+) using the roof rack as intended as we topped the major dune heading in.
PC260210.jpg
We weren't alone at the camp in terms of Rover enthusiasts, from Abu Dhabi too as it would seem.
2015-12-27 06.52.56.jpg
Front shot from atop the dune.
2015-12-26 14.14.25.jpg
Heading back out, sadly this shot doesn't really capture the depth of the valley we transited to get to the dune line to head in.
DSCN3053.jpg
Just before getting back to the house we passed 95k on the truck, of course with the CEL on and it had a wonky transmission failure that popped up which I think is a loose connection in the harness somewhere (or a brake switch). Irony-but the nice thing about the coils was that it had no impact on really anything.
2015-12-27 20.26.16.jpg

Bringing the kids back from the US also facilitated bringing the Traxide kit back so that will go on soon with a dual battery (probably time to replace the primary anyway since they tend to last 18-24 months at best in the heat here), that will be followed shortly thereafter with hard mounting OBA under the hood-with the intent to have a QD point on the front bumper opposite where the winch controller plugs in.

After that...the major victory from a few weeks ago was when the wife pulled up to a D3/D4 outside her Chinese class that had black wheels and when she picked me up that night she said "I didn't like them in pictures, but they look good on the truck...you should do either black or dark gray wheels when you change tires."
Say no more....

NickH

Observer
Been looking for some 10 spokes that are local...no joy.

Almost certainly was, though there are a few sets of compmotives in the UAE.

For my purposes one of the two styles of 10 spokes will get powdercoated, likely gunmetal.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My recommendation is for dark grey. Black kinda disappears, but grey remains light enough for a bit of contrast and detail.

Ray_G

Explorer
Been looking for some 10 spokes that are local...no joy.

I'm going to look for a second set here, worst case I can throw some 19's on while the 18's get powder coated before the BFGs go on back stateside. Best luck I've had back there was eBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior