NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
fdfa16bb9a8cb3d2e83d9cbf6d767537.jpg

Out doing its job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
Using some social distance time to get after some things, time to start the S1 project in earnest. Except a long winter, and a battery from 2013 makes that a time for the young to help the old.
964038d8b728d90d8fb91882766bd99e.jpg

A week up here, first thing to tackle is OBA fix for the LR3. Stable is fairly full (there is always room for more)
5bd08888fcd841791a6941b271fda162.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
e0a2f44e28ca1182f85877611af562bb.jpg

ARB compressor in to replace the TJM that died off. NOCO will find a more permanent mounting solution but that kept it out of the way.

d9f54893ff77724340b946aef8fa02cb.jpg

Assisting elders seems to be the norm this week. Anderson plug jumper cables well worth it.

4d9e3124ff528016a99769ed1e881c2d.jpg

Range day.

Ray_G

Explorer
@Ray_G I'd love to see a schematic of your dual battery/charge/solar set up...........hint hint!

Quick sketch in the pad. Main takeaways is there is a lot of redundancy in charging capability but the batteries are isolated via the traxide. Solar charge runs through the aux battery via traxide to keep primary topped off, essentially a reverse of the alternator. That was deliberate since the aux runs the fridge 24/7. NOCO, when used (rare at the moment) goes straight to each battery.
d002ebe97df7cef4fc4da8c49958695f.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
@Victory_Overland, I have found the NOCO to be more than adequate for the shore power needs. They work quite well with minimal setup efforts, even with the bulkhead plug that I put in.

Ray_G

Explorer
e40e7aceb8f789f834db1d56ae480f71.jpg

A camera roll full of sunset shots, but why not one more. Good week with the Rovers; oba and oil change on this one, oil change a clean up of Coyote and the S1's seat box is off as we slowly move toward transmission replacement.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
Quick sketch in the pad. Main takeaways is there is a lot of redundancy in charging capability but the batteries are isolated via the traxide. Solar charge runs through the aux battery via traxide to keep primary topped off, essentially a reverse of the alternator. That was deliberate since the aux runs the fridge 24/7. NOCO, when used (rare at the moment) goes straight to each battery.
d002ebe97df7cef4fc4da8c49958695f.jpg

I have the same set up as you (minus the NOCO) and want to share my experience with you regarding wiring the solar panel directly to the AUX battery. I have the USI-160 traxide system, not sure if you have that one or the SC80. The solenoid is designed to work with the charge coming from the MAIN and going to AUX, not from AUX to MAIN so it may not always join batteries when you put a charge on the AUX with the solar panel. I was really bummed when I checked my voltage meter and found only the AUX battery charging in my system, so I called and spoke with Tim at Traxide to get some clarity on the situation.

I can't find my notes at the moment so don't remember the specific voltages required for the solenoid to join batteries, but it was high like 13.2 volts. So, if your main battery voltage is too low the solenoid won't join to allow the charge coming from the AUX to go to MAIN. The other thing was the solenoid timer will reset after 72 hours if the engine isn't started. So, if you're sitting in one spot for a week, the solenoid will disengage after 3 days and you'll have to start the vehicle to reactivate and reset the timer.

So, you may want to reconsider as I am, and wire the solar panel directly to the MAIN so you'll always have a charge going to the AUX battery through the solenoid from the MAIN.

@DiscoNels that's good info and great for publishing. I am considering selling my Traxide since it is not installed yet and going another route; the system looks awesome but I think there are potentially better use options out there that I may go with.

Ray_G

Explorer
That's great info; worth noting that the solar is really just for the aux/fridge relationship. I acknowledge fully that it would be great to have it on the primary side and flow through but that wasn't something I really even thought about when I set it all up.

Long before I put the solar in I sought to keep starter and aux isolated-and keep the microstart for the starter battery as a backup. Since she rarely sits for a week where she isn't using the NOCO, I'm good with not redoing the wiring for the moment.

@Victory; there likely is plenty of other options out there than traxide-but what I haven't seen using blue sea, painless, and others is that the traxide does what it does well and with minimal fuss. That, for me, is why in this application it is perfect.
R-
Ray

@Ray_G that for sure is a great selling point; especially considering it is sitting in my garage paid for already.....??

My point was similar to you in which completely isolate start and house power or maybe just go with a manual switch.

The real point is that I am considering going with a DC-DC option and building into my sleeping platform the second battery option which is encased and portable with quick disconnect; the 100w roof panel and potentially 50w hood panel will stay on Victory and the Renogy fold-out kit will be for shaded area camping and portable option with the battery box. I believe I can still do this with the Traxide 160 I have but need to lay it all out once I get my schematic done.

Ray_G

Explorer
@Ray_G that for sure is a great selling point; especially considering it is sitting in my garage paid for already.....??

My point was similar to you in which completely isolate start and house power or maybe just go with a manual switch.

The real point is that I am considering going with a DC-DC option and building into my sleeping platform the second battery option which is encased and portable with quick disconnect; the 100w roof panel and potentially 50w hood panel will stay on Victory and the Renogy fold-out kit will be for shaded area camping and portable option with the battery box. I believe I can still do this with the Traxide 160 I have but need to lay it all out once I get my schematic done.

Ah, gotcha.
I have a fair amount of trust in the Traxide system-as DiscoNels notes, it really only goes one way and I suppose it could fail but for the years I've had it in play it has shown now predisposition to that despite my heavy handed learning.

Is the space on the front left already taken by something more important than a battery? I ask b/c I'd be reluctant to put one in the cab if there is a spot where OE battery tie down equipment (and the traxide wiring, though that's a lessor matter) make it fit well. Doesn't mean you couldn't anderson plug in to that and such...though I do see your point about having some portable charging solution for camp duties-to me that may be an opportunity to throw $$$ at low draw camping gear!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles