NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
A few final shots just b/c...

Wife got me this for Xmas. Could easily read 13mm of course, but the point is the same-a great shirt to wrench in:
fullsizeoutput_1e8e.jpg
This pretty much sums it up, we went for a run on Xmas after opening presents and before dinner. It was ~ -20...thus the eyelashes and such got some nice freezing action. Still, was a great trip...but I wish I had a block heater!
fullsizeoutput_1e91.jpeg

A.J.M

Explorer
While I can imagine it would get boring and/or annoying after a while.

I would love that amount of snow. We haven't had decent snow here since 2010 and I miss it.

johnsoax

Adventurer
This is a Gun Vault Nano 100. This works for the short trip into a federal building, because at most any other time it should be on your side with an extra magazine. That's a Glock 21C with extra mag. inside. The console was lifted out and it is bolted to the inside back side of console.

I wonder if they changed the middle console from the 2005 to 2006, or if they changed the GunVault Nano 100, as the one I purchased does not fit in my 2006 middle console pocket. It leaves 3 inches behind the vault at the bottom to get it to fit at all. And I didn't test fit before I started tearing it apart, and I can't get the accordion thing around the gear shift to clip back into the other trim piece.

Ray_G

Explorer
Truck is going great and just a few hundred miles off 130k. Some changes coming up this summer but for now, shots of it out being used as a utility vehicle.

The pink bunny suit, now worn by the youngest (it really is quite warm)
43f928450ec46d36c818b3e20c21680d.jpg

Useful platform for putting up a zip line.
c8b1bbd6c874d223dd3ea66ded4ea5f5.jpg

And testing
e032358211af8cab5b30f673992ccd44.jpg

& taking selfies as others work.
4b8663c3f56b000ae69cd47cf2b871a0.jpg

Other Rover shots fm the weekend:
dfe8da76777f4ae8f9da534139d8371c.jpg

aa65967d3572bc6aad377c5fc0cf2fa6.jpg

More to follow, rear seats may be coming out for a platform build...and a hard shell RTT looms in the future too.
R-
R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
I owe an update to this in the next few weeks, wrapping up a few things but a few pics:
924c0739409491003ea36ab258a1c443.jpg

Close attention to the switch area near the terrain response will highlight what is new, and likely fairly unique to this truck. (I had to modify the base spec non-EAS plate to fit with the TR knob)
fd179e0d3d4d9cdbdaa9d13059989572.jpg

Yellow top lasted longer than I expected, but wasn't going to make this summer...

Ray_G

Explorer
LLAMS and Odyssey?
Odyssey yes (34 group).

No to LLAMS; with the coils in place I have no requirement for that. If you look closely you'll note the EAS control is removed from the left side-it's a blank plate (i.e. A great guy in AUS that had access to a breaker who had a coiler found that little obscure piece and mailed it to me). The up/down switch behind the parking brake is for the diamond motorized antenna mount.

zelatore

Explorer
Good battery. If you're running an adjustable DC:DC charger to it check the mfg's charging profile...I know their Gp31 had a rather odd requirement to get the most out of it and the stock Rover alternator/regulator did a poor job of maintaining them. I forgot you had done the coils...guess that does sorta make a LLAMS pointless. :)

Ray_G

Explorer
Don-
Will check on the output from the traxide; that's a good head's up. Since I tend to drive the truck intermittently (can commute via public transport, so of course we have 5 cars) I keep the truck plugged in quite a bit for the NOCO to charge both batteries individually too.
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
Don-
I wish, though there appears to be a significant contingent from the East Coast rover community that is figuring out the logistics to head that way.
Not in the cards for us this year. Our big fall event will be VOR, just after the Western Rally and sadly work is too consuming at the moment to budget more.

We are looking to get out west next spring/summer though-will keep folks in the loop as that comes into focus. Primary destination is North Rim, but with the potential for a transit over to Telluride, Arches, and other stuff also possible agenda items.
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
Some shots from the weekend. Truck got put to work hauling six + stuff to camp with (thankfully Coyote was prestaged with the tentage).

Prospeed loaded up, still have a passenger to grab. I think this fairly clearly illustrates that the rack can me extremely functional-and is dead quiet and appropriate looking for the other 350 days out of the year (give or take)

cf49abe7123c64f11a36777bb040ea63.jpg

Full loaded out; we did have more space we could have utilized.
ec548d2e3ae2841fc21c3dd124e23057.jpg

Haul people up to a place where I have...more rovers
ab5cc17e5768e94b82925839aa68c363.jpg

Eldest takes Bernard for a spin to show off to her BF. She eventually let him drive. In fairness, he has a Jeep-but we can cure that.
16f640e7a033594b7aa944d1bcd61bd3.jpg

69b771fd6a2790d7297fea26df43bd52.jpg

The real use for racks
10b2efff6237106d3b41b6b6ded54b22.jpg

Out with a playmate exploring WV. I will acknowledge the 4's 5.0 is a bit quicker than the 4.4...
f4d614053c61312c481e81f7f0103823.jpg

Camping first night was amazing.
3c4af3159fc513d304e208bc52108e9d.jpg

2nd night...wicked t-storms and a tornado warning. Helps when you can retreat to an actual house.
930d857ac9fcf3eb346bac62e2a7b80a.jpg

f4525257ff475216b303b115f9daf870.jpg

Wx broke for a bit, but more rain came...
007d3295f849a576ad73c422f0f31f02.jpg

Kiddos put to work to ensure they realize mud is fun, till you have to clean it.
8a2a06b62e4941d40f4546a060458cd3.jpg

Great weekend with the family and friends that are the same as family. Truck soldiers on, preparing for a probable hard shell RTT this summer.

Ray_G

Explorer
A few upgrades/repairs/etc have taken place, some of which worth sharing. Will do a writeup on my take on the lightweight platform when the final pieces of that come together, but for now I'll commit blasphemy.

By that I mean I am mixing winch components. Specifically, I wired in a Warn wireless setup to my Superwinch.
Background:
This seemed like a decent enough idea at the time several years ago (the controller plug on the top of the bumper)
IMGP2881.JPG
Over time, particularly back in the US with actual precipitation, the elements took their toll and a few days ago when I hooked my winch up to just re-do the line spool nothing happened. A little fiddling revealed that the wires had corroded to the point where they broke off from the plug itself. The solenoid box is nice and tucked away, so now I had wires that needed to do something.
2018-07-04 10.09.43.jpg
At this point, after being a little frustrated, I decided that what I really wanted was a wireless setup. Research ensued. Since I was familiar, and fond of, the Warn setup from my friend's trucks at Twin Mountain I was keen on trying to incorporate that handheld. During that I discovered that Warn actually has a setup for ATV's that is hardwired in-and has the benefit of a potential thumb switch input too. One has to note none of these components were necessarily meant for each other-but at the same time, they aren't really carrying much power. Just opening and closing relays. So why not, given that I had to redo wiring anyway, right?
fullsizeoutput_1ed3.jpeg
The good news is the 3 wire controller for the superwinch has one more wire than is actually needed (I pulled power from elsewhere).
2018-07-05 07.33.43.jpg
Testing and test fitting all at to ensure it is solid. (*There is a jackstand under there too...not just a cattywompus floor jack and the tire left for good measure)
fullsizeoutput_1ed4.jpeg
The wires are tucked away up behind the headlight and under the airbox. The module is zip tied behind the grill.
fullsizeoutput_1ed5.jpeg
Inside the cab I mounted a generic ATV thumb switch. The switch on the left on the headlight cluster labeled "winch" sends 12v to the warn module and the thumb switch, essentially acting as a dead man.
fullsizeoutput_1ed6.jpeg
Overall not too hard to sort once I got access to the components. The Warn wireless remote is superb from what I've seen before, it is working well thus far. Thumb switch prob isn't necessary but I decided why not since I enjoying using the in-cab controls in Coyote too. This was definitely a case of slowly and deliberately confirming components worked (for example the warn wire colors and the thumb switch wire colors are actually reversed. On the whole I looked at it as a chance to upgrade elements that needed repairing anyway.
r-
Ray

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles