NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
KOS Controller install & backup camera fitting

Awesome update! Did you do the backup camera too?

I did, will use your reply as the springboard for that odyssey.

To form the basis of the rest of the accessories I knew I needed to find the final location for the controller and get that settled. I'd decided that the only good place was under the driver's seat and even that proved somewhat challenging. I ended up fabricating a bracket of sorts that tied it into the seat frame (vice putting it on the floor over top the vent that is there. In retrospect it may have been easier/better to put it on the floor and raise it up enough to be level and off the braket. Oh well, I was committed.
2017-01-12 16.10.22.jpg
The mass of wiring coming from all over the vehicle. The nice thing about the KOS setup is that most of the accessories have control wires that take power off the flow coming to the main unit. While it's messy, it could be worse and with the 3's relatively easy trim panel removal and such it was time consuming but not too difficult to get everything coming in from either the side of the center console or the carpet under the seat.
2017-01-11 18.43.55.jpg
2017-01-17 13.11.55.jpg
Fitting the L702 touchscreen requires some dremel work on the center console. Nerve wracking since you are taking out plastic/foam that isn't going to go back in if you need to reverse the process-that said I can't see a significant reason I'd remove this setup from the truck so I view it as near perm install anyway. I didn't take any good pics of the hole I cut but those exist elsewhere online if someone is going down this path. Like many things, measure several times and cut once-removing only what is necessary (incrementally) and test fit the monitor often.
2017-01-11 21.31.11.jpg
Testing to ensure function after getting power wires hooked up and such, always critical before trim goes back on.
2017-01-12 15.20.59.jpg
GPS unit found a home in the bottom of the center console (Ipod wires are also visible, I ran that harness up to the same RAM mount I'd had mounted externally which now lives on the center console lid akin to how stock ipod integration can be setup). The KNA-510 is dated technology of course but the Garmin interface is easy to use. With a $20 SD card with 'new' (2015-16) maps the unit has up to date data that is easy to get in/out. I would note that when first installed the 2006 firmware was taking FOREVER to get position lock, almost certainly because it was looking for satellites that are no longer in the constellation. New firmware and it finds position in about 10-15 sec.
2017-01-12 17.05.09.jpg
At present I haven't used the hack into the amp's speaker connections to push sound out; that may come in phase two later in the Spring. After I messed up my XM unit's control wires the only audio out is really the ipod (I don't use Nav audio) so that goes out via RCA cables to the same aux sidestep that I have residual behind the radio.
2016-01-08 10.11.01.jpg
My initial backup camera unit was one that was advertised as fitting into the lic plate light setup on the rear hatch. Of course the clear plastic wasn't the same so I ended up hacking into my stock setup and used silicone to make it work. Not elegant, but also not actually visible to anything but the most detailed inspection.
2017-01-04 16.05.35.jpg
Testing the camera after getting the wire run all the way from the back hatch. A pyle unit I had purchased had a little standalone monitor that has proven invaluable to testing/troubleshooting.
2017-01-05 16.40.06.jpg
So my ************** tested it...but the swing away was open at the time. When I got it all buttoned up...well, the swing away makes for a blindspot. That resulted in a decision to move the camera. That's for the next update.
2017-01-19 16.43.42.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Wrapping up the backup camera, installing VHF including diamond motorized antenna

With the rear swing away blocking much of the field of view of the lic plate mounted camera, I scoured Amazon for a replacement that I could mount up in the hatch. Ultimately I landed on this one: Bulkhead mount reverse camera. I liked the idea of drilling a hole in the plastic trim and having the wires running inside the bolt. Mounted up easily enough
2017-01-23 17.40.04.jpg
I ended up having to cut some of the screen away to get clear visibility. I also had to fabricate a wedge to fix the viewing angle-in retrospect I prob should have just used a less complicated setup that you can adjust the tilt with but like much of this, I was knee deep in it and wanted to make it work so...
2017-01-23 18.26.17.jpg
Still a little too much downward angle for my taste (i.e. the arbitrary lines are useless) but the field of view is good. Now installed I can play with it all more later.
2017-01-25 15.50.33.jpg

On to VHF!
The main unit I installed with a bracket I fabricated in the far back on the driver's side. This allowed the antenna to be easily routed from the roof and then I ran the connection wire up to the face plate in the front.
2017-01-23 20.09.42.jpg
Face plate up & running, cord for the handset runs out the back and through the center console (an extension) and then the handset plugs in under the cubby and comes out to rest in that awkward space across from the parking brake.
2017-01-25 15.56.42.jpg
I don't like the standard K9000 switch so I wired in my own-note the high tech sharpie diagram I used to make sure I did it correctly.
2017-01-22 20.22.49.jpg
The wire side
2017-01-22 20.22.55.jpg
Switch installed in the plate behind the parking brake; up/down decal added (or you can just look up through the sunroof). This shot also shows where the handset rests, the faceplate, etc.
2017-01-26 09.38.56.jpg

That's the bulk of what took place. Like many projects it was a lot of work done often more than once to get things sorted. Such is life. Looking toward the spring, big mods include BFG KO2s and revisiting my FR aux storage tank. More importantly, the high probability of using the truck to explore VA and WV!
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
fbff7e1056c5701cfb7d2c7264f7065f.jpg

Brown santa delivers new shoes. Now I just have to decide if I use this as an excuse, I mean opportunity, to swap to the other style of 18's that I prefer...not sure it is really worth it. Opinions of course welcome...

c3c94100319f92abb3249ee5628186a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keeper1616

Observer
Ray_G
How did you route the wires to the roof? I'm planning on putting an antenna up there sooner or later and would not like to re-learn what someone else has already learned.

Ray_G

Explorer
Ray_G
How did you route the wires to the roof? I'm planning on putting an antenna up there sooner or later and would not like to re-learn what someone else has already learned.

On the back above the tailgate there is a plug where the shark fin would go (unless you have a shark fin). I went through that and sealed it back up. I have a fake shark fin I will put over all of it eventually just haven't gotten to that quite yet.
R-
Ray

keeper1616

Observer
On the back above the tailgate there is a plug where the shark fin would go (unless you have a shark fin). I went through that and sealed it back up. I have a fake shark fin I will put over all of it eventually just haven't gotten to that quite yet.
R-
Ray

Got it. I have the shark fin, so plan B is in order :)

Ray_G

Explorer
That low profile rack is...sexy! I think your current wheels look great also.

Many thanks, the prospeed was worth the considerable expense I think.

Also appreciate the wheels input, I'm prob going to paint them gunmetal (plastidip is starting to go) before they get the KO2's slapped on.

Ray_G

Explorer
It's almost like the RRC is poised to point out the L322 & L319's are just young upstarts in this business...
e89f762b23fde33a52beb80f15c764df.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Progress report of a sort.

Twin Mtn LR3 runs the same wheels and tires as mine, but is currently on snow tires so I was offered the wheels to use to paint as I swap to BFGs. So:
5227d25bb08aab31c188725494c8e291.jpg

For the sake of showing, this is the slight sag I get when the back is loaded w/wheels & tires (& some RRC pieces)
9cb9407de2fbe35601b79d00b76c0f77.jpg

I'm happy w/the slight sag.

A nice shot of 4 terra grapplers beside 5 BFGs..of course the BFGs aren't mounted/inflated, but the point is they are a little narrower.
32bd6f788576f87e8c511a6728503a65.jpg

Toyota loaded up to take the wheels to get tires dismounted.
001d3b0a346e330513bd74bba6f02bb0.jpg

Painting in progress. Decided to just do duplicolor gunmetal, after looking at the wheels I don't really regret the rattle can since they are far from perfect and this will allow easy touch up.
bf28e84be9ee7e62109c0e25637ff03d.jpg

07478d894f71e5629a0cb79b56400392.jpg

Going to let them cure for a week while I go on a trip, come back and mount the BFGs. The install and an alignment.

ColoDisco

Explorer
You can get rid of that sag by putting the air suspension back in!
:sombrero:

Like the gunmetal. Gunmetal with Alveston red. Hmm...

Ray_G

Explorer
You can get rid of that sag by putting the air suspension back in!
:sombrero:

Like the gunmetal. Gunmetal with Alveston red. Hmm...
So I've heard. Then I can get my old LR3 magic 8 ball out so when the 'transmission fault/HDC systems off/etc' warning comes on I can shake it to determine if I check the brake switch, the brake light bulbs, height sensors, EAS block, or the sunroof drain/windshield cowling ingress points first....

I'll stick with the sag :)

I think the gunmetal will look good on the red. Clifford (my truck's playmate up at Twin Mtn) will be getting my pasti-dipped wheels in trade but I have a sense that I'll end up painting them too after the plastidip dies since the red/gray combo will look nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne